• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
That's a very strong squad. The question for me is who plays 10 when O'Connor gets his inevitable injury. It seems Stewart has been deemed a centre and Hegarty has left so it isn't clear to me who the next best option is. I suspect the Reds may regret letting Pasitoa and Gordon go.
I have been thinking about this and believe Paisami and Stewart both have the defensive and kicking games to play at 10 if required.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
My starting Reds XV would be:

15. Campbell
14. Daugunu
13. Petaia
12. Paisami
11. Vunivalu
10. O'Connor
9. McDermott
8. Wilson
7. McReight
6. Wright
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
4. Scott-Young
3. Tupou
2. Mafi
1. Zander

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It is a shame the Reds don't have a more immediate backup for McDermott other than Kalani.

If Lynagh heads to UQ it would be have been good for he and Thomas to built some rhythm in clubland over a season or two. With the makeup of the current squad they've obviously been earmarked to play prominent roles at 9 and 10 in the future.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I have been thinking about this and believe Paisami and Stewart both have the defensive and kicking games to play at 10 if required.

Didn't Isaac Henry play flyhalf at schoolboy level?

Regardless I think the Reds have adequate cover for a few games if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down, the guys you mentioned, Lawson Creighton and Henry are all capable of running a backline if need be. Far from a dominant replacement but they would be fine.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Both were looking for a more direct pathway to a starting position.

With JOC (James O'Connor)'s injury woes , Gordon may have got his opportunity with the Reds sooner than predicted had he stayed ( and maybe had a different manager...)
Pasitoa was paid by some rich person in canberra to come to the Brumbies.. pretty sure it was around 500k from a fighting fund... although Im not 100 percent sure.. just what Ive read

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Didn't Isaac Henry play flyhalf at schoolboy level?

Regardless I think the Reds have adequate cover for a few games if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down, the guys you mentioned, Lawson Creighton and Henry are all capable of running a backline if need be. Far from a dominant replacement but they would be fine.

yeah Lawson, Henry and Stewart are all 5/8 options

not great options, but options at least

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I don't think Stewart has proven an adequate 10 in any way whatsoever. Excellent defender in that slot if you want to play 10 man rugby. He frequently passed around a half dozen times a game - not what you want in a 10. If your game plan has your 10 with head in rucks and rarely distributing he's perfect. If your game plan needs a solid defender defending in the 10 slot he is also perfect. His kicking out of hand is also OK but on it's own doesn't really qualify him for entry into the game-playing, strategically able to release a game plan 10 club. Seriously great player but not a 10.

Paisami seems to be developing a distribution game and played outside of Lolo in the WBs as something of a second fly. You'd need to give him time there and very likely he would add to the growing list of potential 10's that the Reds failed to make actual 10s. He is very much imo (I know there are many who disagree) a far better 13 than 12. And he hasn't received his invitation to join that exclusive 10 club yet either.

Both can play there as back up if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down in a game. If JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured for longer and they are the back-up to start in the XV I suspect we will feel it.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Both were looking for a more direct pathway to a starting position.

With JOC (James O'Connor)'s injury woes , Gordon may have got his opportunity with the Reds sooner than predicted had he stayed ( and maybe had a different manager...)
Don’t even go there. It still erks me.

EDIT. My new friend from Townsville (weekend shenanigans) told me that Gordon is only signed at the Rebels for next year. Parents were tight lipped on this when I asked at the semi finals. Do you reckon we can get him back?

EDIT 2. 10 Gordon, 11? 12 Henry 13 Paisami 14 Dangunu 15 Petaia . Far out Wests if you include Vinu or Droasese at 11

Last edited:

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
So Jordy has made anon statement about wanting 15. From Petaia we get athleticism that could match he who shall not be named. For me a key ingredient from Jock is reading the backline and organising.

Interesting problem. And how does Grealy fit in that context?
I think Petaia is a great talent but think he looked better on the wing than at centre.

I always thought this is because the sideline means that you only have to consider what is in front and to one side of you, not forward and both sides. In attack you dont need to distribute to the man outside you so again less thinking involved.

I am positive that Petaia's skills will prove me wrong but why should I think he would be better than Jock? He will again have to think about front and both sides in attack, decide when to inject himself into the backline rather than waiting for the ball to get passed to him and he will have to think about kicking on top of all of that.

I am not convinced he will succeed if given a shot, but with my record I am sure I will be wrong.

Reactions: dru

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Petaia also has a fairly big boot, which has really been wasted thus far.

I think he'd be a great 15. The only thing I'd like to see more of is a bit of a wide passing game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pasitoa was paid by some rich person in canberra to come to the Brumbies.. pretty sure it was around 500k from a fighting fund... although Im not 100 percent sure.. just what Ive read
500k for a player who was not even in match day 23 - I find that hard to believe

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Petaia's main play is to skip outside, fend and go around. Wing reduces his space to do this.

It does. However an initial inclination to go outside is not right for a centre - they need to straighten (mostly). Going outside can be the initial instinct for a wing, albeit there is the sideline.

Doesn't a 15 also have to straighten on kick returns? At least on occasion?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
500k for a player who was not even in match day 23 - I find that hard to believe
He was paid out of the Rugby Fighting Fund which is a foundation set up by RA (a Raelene initiative) and the Brumbies when he was in Yr 11. The foundation only gives small amounts ($10k-$30k) to junior rugby players they want to retain in Rugby. Will Harris and others also received money from the fund in the same year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He was paid out of the Rugby Fighting Fund which is a foundation set up by RA (a Raelene initiative) and the Brumbies when he was in Yr 11. The foundation only gives small amounts ($10k-$30k) to junior rugby players they want to retain in Rugby. Will Harris and others also received money from the fund in the same year.

I heard and read, that although its the fighting fund, its also rich people paying for a player, who they want to stay in rugby, and at the time play for the Brumbies.

I thought it was strange, but people with alot of money might do something like that... I could also be completely wrong :D