• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder how high Vunivalu is on the list for the new official Redcliffe NRL side. So many murmurs that he wants to go back to the NRL and now he wouldn't even have to move. I imagine Floyd Aubrey will also be a target if he comes along well next year, having already turned down an NRL raid to stay with the Reds.

Regardless, I think you'll see a bit of movement over the next 12 months especially with the development players.
Don’t understand why vunivalu would want to leave as showed great promise and only injuries holding him back

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He has 65k followers on Insta but account is private.

anyone follow him? It would be a miracle for a modern athlete not to have uploaded some sort of social media in the last few weeks.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He has 65k followers on Insta but account is private.

anyone follow him? It would be a miracle for a modern athlete not to have uploaded some sort of social media in the last few weeks.
Yeah I follow him, a bit of stuff at Reds HQ in early September with a remedial therapist and a generic post of a few shots of him in Reds gear from late September but not much else of note. I haven't really been paying attention to his stories though.

It maybe that he's having his fitness work managed a bit at the moment so he won't necessarily pop up in general squad stuff

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'm really excited to see how a few guys come along next year. From the bigger names Wilson, McReight and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) after their downtime and big off season. If they can all get their bodies right, stronger and more powerful then the Reds will have a very impressive pack.

The not so big names who I think will push on next year are Smith, Uru, and Henry. I also reckon ASY (Angus Scott-Young) will come back from NZ a much better player. He is a smart guy who just toils and absorbs information.

I'm also hoping Mafi really pushes on and fixes his throwing. Seems a great talent.

I cannot see anyone replacing Jock at 15. He is the most well rounded fullback we have had in an age. Battled through some injuries this year and still produced. People say he isn't big enough however he is also a lot bigger than you would think in person. I was chatting to him recently, I'm 6'2, he was essentially the same height as me. Leaner but still solid. They are wanting to put another couple kgs on him but not much more than that. I reckon Jordie is a great 13 but if he is determined to play 15 then he goes to the wing and plays a hybrid winger/15 game to get him learning off Jock and easing into it. He doesn't strike me to have the confidence nor mentality to play 15 at that level yet.

Also keen to see if Flook can push on this year, I was really impressed by his first few performances in 2019.

Big off season for these lads. Hopefully the get their heads right and just knuckle down. Do the hard work now and reap the rewards later.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm really excited to see how a few guys come along next year. From the bigger names Wilson, McReight and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) after their downtime and big off season. If they can all get their bodies right, stronger and more powerful then the Reds will have a very impressive pack.

The not so big names who I think will push on next year are Smith, Uru, and Henry. I also reckon ASY (Angus Scott-Young) will come back from NZ a much better player. He is a smart guy who just toils and absorbs information.

I'm also hoping Mafi really pushes on and fixes his throwing. Seems a great talent.

I cannot see anyone replacing Jock at 15. He is the most well rounded fullback we have had in an age. Battled through some injuries this year and still produced. People say he isn't big enough however he is also a lot bigger than you would think in person. I was chatting to him recently, I'm 6'2, he was essentially the same height as me. Leaner but still solid. They are wanting to put another couple kgs on him but not much more than that. I reckon Jordie is a great 13 but if he is determined to play 15 then he goes to the wing and plays a hybrid winger/15 game to get him learning off Jock and easing into it. He doesn't strike me to have the confidence nor mentality to play 15 at that level yet.

Also keen to see if Flook can push on this year, I was really impressed by his first few performances in 2019.

Big off season for these lads. Hopefully the get their heads right and just knuckle down. Do the hard work now and reap the rewards later.
I’m excited but also curious how we will manage injury cover with JOC (James O'Connor) being at the forefront of how our best backline will look if he goes down. To stay optimistic, 9. McDermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Vinu (? if around) 12. Paisami 13. Petaia 14. Dangunu 15. Jock 21. Thomas 22. Stewart (maybe Henry) 23. Flook (wing cover).
I see Petaia playing a few games at fullback, and Henry getting stronger with each performance if given the opportunity. Stewart probably our best option at flyhalf, with Jock a consideration if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down.

Our second row and backrow are solid with plenty of depth. Tupou and Mafi will need to hold up with no injury to pull us through until the other options get more experience and games under their belt. Looking good for another AU premiership.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I’m excited but also curious how we will manage injury cover with JOC (James O'Connor) being at the forefront of how our best backline will look if he goes down. To stay optimistic, 9. McDermott 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 11. Vinu (? if around) 12. Paisami 13. Petaia 14. Dangunu 15. Jock 21. Thomas 22. Stewart (maybe Henry) 23. Flook (wing cover).
I see Petaia playing a few games at fullback, and Henry getting stronger with each performance if given the opportunity. Stewart probably our best option at flyhalf, with Jock a consideration if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down.

Our second row and backrow are solid with plenty of depth. Tupou and Mafi will need to hold up with no injury to pull us through until the other options get more experience and games under their belt. Looking good for another AU premiership.

It will be interesting. They'll have to manage JOC (James O'Connor) so he doesn't break down. If Stewart has another ball player at 12 in Paisami or Henry outside him as well as Jock at 15 I think we will be fine as long as the structures are good.

Stewart should be able to perform at this level. He has had some good games at 10. I would be keen to see how Henry goes there. Whilst I haven't seen him play at 10 I hear he was quite solid.

Vuni hasn't returned on the investment this year, not really his fault though. Injury can hit anyone at anytime. I saw him live once for the Reds and he just looks to be another level above everyone else athletically, bar perhaps Jordy. If he is happy with rugby he definitely should be persisted with. If he has a injury free year next year and has spent his downtime learning the nuances of the game/his position then we should be seeing something special.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Phone mishap mate. Happens to the best of us.
I don't mean to be a dick it just frustrates me seeing a players name misspelt multiple times in a row in different ways. I've noticed it's becoming pretty common for to see Vunivalu's name misspelt in particular (though he's definitely not the only player to cop it). It's been a stark contrast this year too, with stan putting in so much effort to get pronunciation right and then to come on the forums and see people still not bothering to do a quick check of their spelling and just blaming it on the islander names being difficult for them (I'm not accusing you of that here). Figured I should just start calling it out in the hope that people do better.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't mean to be a dick it just frustrates me seeing a players name misspelt multiple times in a row in different ways. I've noticed it's becoming pretty common for to see Vunivalu's name misspelt in particular (though he's definitely not the only player to cop it). It's been a stark contrast this year too, with stan putting in so much effort to get pronunciation right and then to come on the forums and see people still not bothering to do a quick check of their spelling and just blaming it on the islander names being difficult for them (I'm not accusing you of that here). Figured I should just start calling it out in the hope that people do better.
Look out, the fun police have arrived in town! Would you like us to refer to JOC (James O'Connor) as O’Connor moving forward? Anyone else?