• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hate to say this, but I do not think Campbell has the potential to be a star for the Reds at any position. I have been wrong before, I hope I am this time.

Greenback16

Frank Row (1)
Has any progress been made surrounding a new naming rights sponsor? It's getting very close to the start of season not to have replaced St George.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Really enjoyable trial game today, you can't really read too with trail games but nice combinations from both teams

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
with Petaia (and the Jocks) into quarantine for the week, we won’t see Jordy trail at 15. Does that mean we select conservatively for round 1? Jock at 15. Jordy at 13 outside Paisami (Stewart did himself no favours tonight).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wam, maaaaate. Jock has been a star for a couple of years already. He doesn't have the Petaia wow factor but we will miss he organisation for certain.
I think with jock he has shown great improvement and surprised many. He probably still has upside in him and his game, how much who knows. But reds seem to agree and hence trialing him in 10 position.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
with Petaia (and the Jocks) into quarantine for the week, we won’t see Jordy trail at 15. Does that mean we select conservatively for round 1? Jock at 15. Jordy at 13 outside Paisami (Stewart did himself no favours tonight).
It depends how Petaia has been training at fullback. Maybe start with the backline
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vunivalu
12. Paisami
13. Flook
14. Dangunu
15 Petaia
21. Jeans
22. Stewart
23. Campbell
If Petaia is not connecting then bring in Campbell. Stewart had a shocker at 10 yesterday and I wasn’t overly impressed with Grealy’s performance. It was a trial with a few of the young players thrown in the mix and missing key players.

Reactions: Ged

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
It depends how Petaia has been training at fullback. Maybe start with the backline
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vunivalu
12. Paisami
13. Flook
14. Dangunu
15 Petaia
21. Jeans
22. Stewart
23. Campbell
If Petaia is not connecting then bring in Campbell. Stewart had a shocker at 10 yesterday and I wasn’t overly impressed with Grealy’s performance. It was a trial with a few of the young players thrown in the mix and missing key players.
I thought once Stewart moved to 12 in the second half with Lynagh at 10, the whole backline looked better.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm hoping Stewart gets more time at 12 for the next trial, I still think 12 Stewart 13 Paisami is the best we looked last year. If that works then I might lean to having Petaia on the bench for the first game, aiming to bring him on at fullback but probably for Vunivalu - manage both their minutes and have Campbell in the back 3 at the same time to back him up.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm hoping Stewart gets more time at 12 for the next trial, I still think 12 Stewart 13 Paisami is the best we looked last year. If that works then I might lean to having Petaia on the bench for the first game, aiming to bring him on at fullback but probably for Vunivalu - manage both their minutes and have Campbell in the back 3 at the same time to back him up.
Stewart needs to get consistency. He needed to be strong yesterday at flyhalf. Agree he improved at 12.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I assume you mean better football brain. I agree. Although Petaia makes very good decisions in defence.

But Petaia is the better player - even if he is guilty of trying to do too much sometimes. I rate Campbell. But Petaia’s defence for a start is well above Campbell’s. In attack both bring their pros and cons. The real choice is what is the best combination with the rest of the backline - Campbell at 15, Petaia on the wing and one of Daugunu or Vunivalu is on the pine, or Petaia at 15 with Campbell on the bench. Assuming everyone is fit I suspect they will go with option B. The Reds backline now has a lot more experience across the park. Giving Petaia his first start at 15 isn’t the risk it might have been 12 months ago.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I assume you mean better football brain. I agree. Although Petaia makes very good decisions in defence.

But Petaia is the better player - even if he is guilty of trying to do too much sometimes. I rate Campbell. But Petaia’s defence for a start is well above Campbell’s. In attack both bring their pros and cons. The real choice is what is the best combination with the rest of the backline - Campbell at 15, Petaia on the wing and one of Daugunu or Vunivalu is on the pine, or Petaia at 15 with Campbell on the bench. Assuming everyone is fit I suspect they will go with option B. The Reds backline now has a lot more experience across the park. Giving Petaia his first start at 15 isn’t the risk it might have been 12 months ago.
Yes….better football brain…Petaia is more an athlete like Folau was….interesting to see how he goes at fullback … I’d still have Campbell there but I guess the Wallabies need a fullback or another option and the Reds are giving Petaia that option. He does too many dumb things for my liking .

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
There may even be some sway from RA about who plays 15 at the Reds. I know Thorn ultimately decides and will pick what works best for the Reds , but Rennie has mentioned a few times now he would like to see Petaia have a run at 15 and Thorn does seem open to the idea.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Reg might know about this - why is there no mention of the Reds in the papers in Brisbane? Reds play a trial match, players and coach out with COVID, and nothing - yet there are pages and pages about NRL and AFL. Even some non Qld A- League game gets a write up but no rugby. I would have thought that the QRU would have been actively trying to get coverage, are they just being shut out?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reg might know about this - why is there no mention of the Reds in the papers in Brisbane? Reds play a trial match, players and coach out with COVID, and nothing - yet there are pages and pages about NRL and AFL. Even some non Qld A- League game gets a write up but no rugby. I would have thought that the QRU would have been actively trying to get coverage, are they just being shut out?
The courier mail doesn't have a dedicated rugby writer anymore I don't think. Makes it hard to get any coverage out of season. I believe the journalist who covers rugby for them is there as a soccer writer first, so he's always going to be focused on that over a reds trial during the A-League season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
]

The NRL and the AFL produce their own material from what I understand, they both employ scores of journalists, they do a lot of the work for the various media. The round ball code as well, I imagine, to some extent.