• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Flipside is a trial game is the best place to learn that lesson and he picked himself up and ended up scoring a try a later in the match. It's definitely not something he needed on his record in trying to pass Kalani, but I don't think it undoes all the good work he otherwise did.
Agree completely, I rate Spencer as a legit back up to Tate, but I think Kalani will get one more chance to show he's the first cab off the rank.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Another bloke who is perma crocked

He didn't have too many injury problems prior to arriving at the Reds - I believe I posted in the Reds 2021 group that he played something like 85% of eligible games for the Melbourne Storm over a number of years.

In saying that, the Storm have long been lauded for their medical staff and programmes.

Hard to blame the Reds, whether its due to bad luck, bad advice and just the nature of rugby, the Reds have definitely drawn the short straw over the past few years with gun outside backs suffering injury setbacks, the main ones that come to mind are CFS, Petaia, Vunivalu

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
That was a hard choice for me and I definitely thought we were better when he came on last night. It was hard to leave him out but Wright is such a smart player and co-captain and I personally can’t leave McReight out (although the irony/contradiction there is that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) was probably as good last year). At the end of the day I won’t be disappointed with our backrow selection, whoever gets the nod.
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) deserves the start, with Wright, Wilson and McRreight needing to prove their existence. Round 1 should sort them out quickly.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Flipside is a trial game is the best place to learn that lesson and he picked himself up and ended up scoring a try a later in the match. It's definitely not something he needed on his record in trying to pass Kalani, but I don't think it undoes all the good work he otherwise did.
Better for Jeans to learn his lesson in a trial. He’ll never do it again.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
It’s potentially a big set back for him, not so much for the team. And even that depends where he is in the pecking order.

I though he looked very good in his games last year and if you told me he was Thorn’s preferred starting 12 I wouldn’t have been surprised. But nor would I be surprised if you said he had a few in front of him. However he is rated, like Harrison at the Tahs, he now has to sit back and let others stake their claim.

Whilst player injury is never good news, from a Reds point of view we are more vunerable in other areas.
He will be back in no time I hear. Still fit and strong. Broken foot isn’t that big a deal these days. AFL guys are back on the paddock running in a could of weeks.

Reactions: TSR

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
Stewart and Campbell can slot into flyhalf now, with hugely unproven options being Creighton, Lynagh, and Annan. I wouldn’t call this depth by any means, but manageable if JOC (James O'Connor) goes down. Thorn stacked his squad with developing 10s when Gordon left but unfortunately leaving a 2 year gap for depth.
So can Henry
Plenty of options there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope I'm wrong but, I'm seeing a fair bit of stagnation and not much development both from the players and the game plan.

it's interesting Sully. I had thought the same over the off-season, but given our interrupted pre-season, the fact that we haven't had the turnover may actually work in our favour. Hopefully things just click pretty quickly when back on the field.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
You would hope the reigning champions with 90% player retention means we will see more of the same from last year. Although maybe it isn't so much whether the Reds have regressed - but have the opposition overtaken them?

A main concern seems to be whether JOC (James O'Connor) has fallen off a cliff form wise. Injuries aside, he definitely seemed to lack some confidence when playing in gold last year, compared to his steadying influence for the Reds. I'm sure we will know more over these first few rounds. At his age, he knows not to pull all the tricks out of the bag for a trial game. Fingers crossed for a big showing this weekend.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think they’ll have a slow and clunky start to the season, it has been incredibly disrupted. But should bode well for them as the season progresses, as long as they don’t fall too far off the pace

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
We certainly looked well off the pace in the Horrortahs trial, but it was made worse by hot and sweaty conditions and a horrortahs team that showed up to make a statement. Usually it takes a few weeks of games to get going, but definitely our trial form hasn't been great

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
My opinion on out beat 23 with full squad available:

1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Smith
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Wright / McWright
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Campbell

16. Nasser
17. Zander
18. Fotuaika
19. Uru
20. McWright / Wright
21. Jeans
22. Stewart
23. Flook

Some hard calls and a few who are just a year or two off the 15/23.

Blyth either starts or not in 23 imo. Reds have a wonderful number of quality back 5 players which will allow a smart coach to change up game plans week to week or half to half. Eg Uru could start and Smith to the bench.

Henry looked good last year so tough on him. Would be next back off the rank. TTT also looked good in the trial. I'm sure they will all get an opportunity this year.

They young outside backs aren't quite there yet but ooze talent and potential. Without Droasese there can one cement a spot?

Exciting year to see how these young men have advanced over a long off-season. A lot of them look to have put on some good size.

I still think 10 is a big weakness and don't see JOC (James O'Connor) as the savior there. He can deliver to ball runners which he has in abundance with this backline so perhaps he will deliver.

No Vunivalu will see from 12 out shift 1 spot and Stewart into 12.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
So can Henry n m mom mmm non mm m I kickboxing un
We certainly looked well off the pace in the Horrortahs trial, but it was made worse by hot and sweaty conditions and a horrortahs team that showed up to make a statement. Usually it takes a few weeks of games to get going, but definitely our trial form hasn't been great
Only a trial. I’m sure the Reds didn’t take it too seriously and will start playing from this weekend. You wouldn’t have known JOC (James O'Connor) was a Wallaby watching though. Both Horratah 10’s outplayed him...

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Only a trial. I’m sure the Reds didn’t take it too seriously and will start playing from this weekend. You wouldn’t have known JOC (James O'Connor) was a Wallaby watching though. Both Horratah 10’s outplayed him...
I cant help but wonder if Thorn tapped JOC (James O'Connor) on the shoulder about the captaincy as he was worried about his form on the field and he has begun planning for a future without him. Thorn does not seem like he would avoid making hard calls and thinking about dropping a captains playing minutes would be a big call.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
My team for round 1 - I realise this will not be the actual team, it is my preferences
1- Zander
2- Mafi
3- Tupou
4- Blythe

5- Smith
6- Wright
7- McReight
8- Wilson
9- McDermott
10- Stewart

11- Vunivalu
12- Flook
13- Paisami
14- Daugunu
15- Campbell

As I said this is my preferred team, some players it is as simple as them being my favourites, others are excluded as they are not players I have any particular fondness of.

Going through the team list we seem to have excesses of talent in certain areas but are lacking in others.

I wish the Reds could have swapped some utility backs/centres for flyhalf options with a bit more experience than Lynagh. It would be great to swap some of our excess talent for someone like Carter Gordon. easier said than done!
My team from Jan 26 was not too far from the mark, especially as it was made of my favourite players and no necessarily the best players.

I am pretty happy with the team and will enjoy watching them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My opinion on out beat 23 with full squad available:

1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Smith
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Wright / McWright
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Paisami
13. Petaia
14. Vunivalu
15. Campbell

16. Nasser
17. Zander
18. Fotuaika
19. Uru
20. McWright / Wright
21. Jeans
22. Stewart
23. Flook

Some hard calls and a few who are just a year or two off the 15/23.

Blyth either starts or not in 23 imo. Reds have a wonderful number of quality back 5 players which will allow a smart coach to change up game plans week to week or half to half. Eg Uru could start and Smith to the bench.

Henry looked good last year so tough on him. Would be next back off the rank. TTT also looked good in the trial. I'm sure they will all get an opportunity this year.

They young outside backs aren't quite there yet but ooze talent and potential. Without Droasese there can one cement a spot?

Exciting year to see how these young men have advanced over a long off-season. A lot of them look to have put on some good size.

I still think 10 is a big weakness and don't see JOC (James O'Connor) as the savior there. He can deliver to ball runners which he has in abundance with this backline so perhaps he will deliver.

No Vunivalu will see from 12 out shift 1 spot and Stewart into 12.

Purce, this is very almost the team I would pick. Congrats on selecting Petaia at 13, pushing Paisami in and Stewart to the bench, it's exactly what I would do. I'm not sure though, that it is in the Reds thinking in 2022. They seem to be opening opportunity for Petaia in the back three.

At the moment I'm unsure of Daugunu, he was rusty. Could we start Flook and shift Daugunu to bench? And of course we don't know where Vunivalu is with fitness. If he's ready we have a wing needing to be filled.

I have a little reticence with starting both Uru and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the row. But they are the stand outs. I'm not convinced that Smith has made his mark, so I'd be squeezing Blythe in somewhere.

Quibbles though - I like your 23.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I cant help but wonder if Thorn tapped JOC (James O'Connor) on the shoulder about the captaincy as he was worried about his form on the field and he has begun planning for a future without him. Thorn does not seem like he would avoid making hard calls and thinking about dropping a captains playing minutes would be a big call.
Possibly - but if Thorn was in the business of dropping captains and having those hard chats, surely he would have stripped Wright last year and made JOC (James O'Connor) the solo captain.

JOC (James O'Connor) has been a bit rusty but he’s clearly first choice flyhalf and goal kicker for this team at the moment. Wright on the other hand is likely fielding pressure from a combination of McReight, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Uru and Wilson to maintain his spot.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Do the players still put in their votes for captain? Usually the coaches have the final say but you need to consider what the team wants. Yeah, I don’t think JOC (James O'Connor) made the decision on his own.