• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty sure he was training with the Tahs earlier in the pre-season?

Once he didn’t get picked up there, you’d imagine he thought it may have been game over as the Reds looked to have plenty of cover.

As a non-Uni supporter, he is definitely the player I thought stood out in that UQ side for a couple of seasons.

Loved that vid. Awesome his mum was there for it.

I’m not a 100% sure but think the plan for him, Faessler and Oates to all go down a train with the Tahs but then when Covid re-hit, the decision was made to have a pool of training players accessible to all teams? So they could all just stay here?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Kalani Thomas is playing pretty well. He's busy without being as frantic as he was last season, passing pretty accurately and underplaying his hand with few darts.
Yeah, he's making me eat my words from last week. Busy without being frantic is hitting the nail on the head. Glad to see it, and looking forward to the battle between him and Jeans

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

I’m not a 100% sure but think the plan for him, Faessler and Oates to all go down a train with the Tahs but then when Covid re-hit, the decision was made to have a pool of training players accessible to all teams? So they could all just stay here?
He came up to QPR two years ago to have a different set of eyes on him in the hope of a professional contract. He has a great work ethic and character, genuinely loves his footy and rips in every game he plays. Gets around his team mates and everyone who has played with him loves having him in their team.

Bit similar to Ryan Smith in a lot of ways. Very happy to see him get his first cap!

Wilson

David Codey (61)

The impression I got was the tahs pulled Halaholo and Vest down to trial and Halaholo was the one they were most interested in and kept. That may also be because he 'signed' with Hunter Wildfires so was a bit more committed. That's only what I heard at the time from people around UQ though, nothing concrete. Thinking about it now I'm a bit surprised to have not heard Halaholo's name come up more since, he's an absolute gun and there's at least one 23 for both the Tahs and the Reds I would've picked him in this year. At very least I thought he would've got time in the trials.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Clearly RR, Jock has not previously been invited to the WB squad, not as a miss. He's been a long shot for ages. That said, in the first 3 rounds he is the form 15. 3 rounds without Hodge playing. Banks is my favourite WB 15, but he's had a good Super game? Compared to Jock's form? look 3/4 rounds is nothing. I would however love to see Jock given a chance to mount a campaign for that jersey.
Dru I agree that Campbell is a good Super Rugby player but I don’t think he has done enough to warrant green and gold selection yet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The impression I got was the tahs pulled Halaholo and Vest down to trial and Halaholo was the one they were most interested in and kept. That may also be because he 'signed' with Hunter Wildfires so was a bit more committed. That's only what I heard at the time from people around UQ though, nothing concrete. Thinking about it now I'm a bit surprised to have not heard Halaholo's name come up more since, he's an absolute gun and there's at least one 23 for both the Tahs and the Reds I would've picked him in this year. At very least I thought he would've got time in the trials.

I’m pretty sure that was Halaholo that scored a good try for Tahs A v the Brumby Runners last week? Check the video.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru I agree that Campbell is a good Super Rugby player but I don’t think he has done enough to warrant green and gold selection yet.

RR I don't actually disagree with your assessment. However in three rounds he took 15 in our team of the week twice, pretty clearly the form 15 at that point. Three rounds is three rounds, not a season making a claim, but he had done what he could so far this season. He doesn't get that chance in Round 4 and possibly won't again. My issue isn't around Jock having laid his claim. It was about the fact that he was in process of possibly doing so and now can not.

Rugby is a tough profession and these things happen. But it is shite.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
RR I don't actually disagree with your assessment. However in three rounds he took 15 in our team of the week twice, pretty clearly the form 15 at that point. Three rounds is three rounds, not a season making a claim, but he had done what he could so far this season. He doesn't get that chance in Round 4 and possibly won't again. My issue isn't around Jock having laid his claim. It was about the fact that he was in process of possibly doing so and now can not.

Rugby is a tough profession and these things happen. But it is shite.
Going to be the same with Gamble when Hooper returns. It’s not unusual for players to be displaced after playing well at any level, in any sport.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
I like Flook best at 11. He can make an impact in attack and it's his best defensive position. I will be very interested to see what happens when Henry comes back (next weekish?) because by my sources Brad wants him at 12 in the starting team as second choice kicker. On the Jordy at 15 thing, I am very torn. I think Jock plays best at 15 and I don't think Jordy will ever surpass Hunter at 13. Tricky decisions for Thorn. Plus Jordy does 1 or 2 great looking things in a game but always makes 1 or 2 errors, so do we want that on the wing or at 15?

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One thing I notice with the Reds attack is how interchangeable the players seem to be in their role. Stewart, Paisami and Campbell all had touches at first receiver and second receiver at different times which gave us great width in attack.

Hunter really does improve every year. At the start of last year his left to right pass was still pretty loopy and inaccurate at times, but he is hitting his mark consistently.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I like Flook best at 11. He can make an impact in attack and it's his best defensive position. I will be very interested to see what happens when Henry comes back (next weekish?) because by my sources Brad wants him at 12 in the starting team as second choice kicker. On the Jordy at 15 thing, I am very torn. I think Jock plays best at 15 and I don't think Jordy will ever surpass Hunter at 13. Tricky decisions for Thorn. Plus Jordy does 1 or 2 great looking things in a game but always makes 1 or 2 errors, so do we want that on the wing or at 15?

Wanting Henry at 12 is a bit like counting your chickens before they hatch no? Him and Vunivalu would be neck and neck for most time on the Reds injury list over the past two seasons?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I personally would like to see Jordy revert back to the 14 jersey, I think he's a better finisher than Jock. But I don't see why they have to strictly play there for 80mins, take turns dropping back for cover etc.

Petaia looked best in space, and he was given plenty of it against the Drua, their backline realignment was very poor when the Reds started going to the edges.

Conditions on Saturday also suited Petaia's game rather than the rainy slogfests in earlier weeks. I recall him gathering a few deep balls on kick returns in the early weeks and opting to punt it down field, if conditions were better he may have backed himself.

Good headaches to have. One thing seems certain though, the longer Vunivalu takes to recover, the less likely we'll see him in Red beyond this season.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Wanting Henry at 12 is a bit like counting your chickens before they hatch no? Him and Vunivalu would be neck and neck for most time on the Reds injury list over the past two seasons?
I thought Petaia would've been higher on that list than Henry. What was his injury/time unavailable last year? I don't recall...

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Are you telling me that Henry gets the automatic nod over Stewart and Paisami at 12. Not too sure about that.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Nasser looked very tidy at hooker. He threw well and was solid in the scrum. Also popped up in the right places in general play and contributed a lot over all.
Always rated his work in general play and has a good rugby brain.
Actually played some 10 in his early junior days before moving initially to #8 in his early teens then eventually to prop and now hooker. Played First XI cricket for Terrace from memory, so decent hand eye.
Great to see his set piece improvement at Super Rugby level, you could see it improving during his run in QPR last year. Glad he has stepped up and hopefully continues to improve.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope we see Mafi and Nasser re-signed in the next few weeks.

My mail was that Mafi would be leaving, but that was prior to his injury. Unsure what he will do now.

I think they will hold off signing Faessler or Asiata to another contract until the back end of the season. They will want to see what is happening in QPR world first before committing to a development hooker.