• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I like Gordon but good Sydney judges prefer other halfback like Duffy at North Sydney. Particularly off back foot ball when the credential of a halfback is really tested.

Every non-selected player has a story and it’s up to them to find a way to shine so that they cannot be ignored.

We all have to acknowledge that none of these player will let us down. The depth AU rugby has is the best in a generation.

As other poster have said, let us get behind the Wallabies and back them all to win RWC23. I think they can.

As for the Reds, they will be better for this year but definitely need some fresh ideas coaching wise. We all know the definition of insanity…

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Gotta say that todays test team announcement really is damning of Thorn’s coaching - and makes it very hard to recruit for 2023 and beyond. Rennie has made it clear we aren’t producing wallabies.
We didn't do too well at the selection table last year when we won Super Rugby AU and none of the teams did well against the Kiwis. There was no way they were picking Queenslanders this year.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Front page says he is under contract for 2023

our pressing need in the backline would be Hamish Stewart
Just heated a rumour that he might be heading west. I heard it from the horse's mouth but he may have been taking the piss

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
interesting…

I reckon when HP becomes a free agent - the rebels might want to have a reunion back in VIC.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Apparently the Michael Wood front row experiment is over at Brothers. He was getting folded in scrums and decided to pack it up.

The good news though is that he’s lost around 15kgs already this year and is looking to move back into the second row. We might see him pop up in 1st grade in the coming weeks. One for the Reds to keep an eye on.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently the Michael Wood front row experiment is over at Brothers. He was getting folded in scrums and decided to pack it up.

The good news though is that he’s lost around 15kgs already this year and is looking to move back into the second row. We might see him pop up in 1st grade in the coming weeks. One for the Reds to keep an eye on.

idk - don’t think that would be a good signing for reds - he seems kind of small to be playing lock professionally… can he play 6 or 8?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
idk - don’t think that would be a good signing for reds - he seems kind of small to be playing lock professionally… can he play 6 or 8?
Wait and see, he was seen as a good enough prospect for the Tahs to nab him a few years ago as a lock.

Still only 23, not saying he should be a main target by any means, but worth keeping an eye on. Might be a decent replacement for the Tualima and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) type frame.

I have heard he is a bit of a hot head though and can be difficult to coach.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I wondered what had happened to him. Was very impressed with him a few years ago and was disappointed the Reds hadn't got him in their system.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I found the logic quite interesting, because a player has not won games at Super Level against NZ opponents you don't get picked for the Wallabies but we will select guys who played in Japan and therefore have not proven themselves against NZ this year either.

I think we will end up with about 6 capped players this year, but the justification for current exclusion seems odd to me
Also doesn't explain any Rebels or Waratahs in 2011s test sides..... It's a bullshit excuse.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Also doesn't explain any Rebels or Waratahs in 2011s test sides..... It's a bullshit excuse.
Just an FYI, the Tahs had a very, very good team in 2011 and would have featured deeper into the finals except for a massive injury toll later in the year that had them dropping out of the finals in the first week. They completely belted the reds 30 - 6 in round 2. Most of the injured players were Wallabies who then featured later on in the test squads when they returned to full fitness. So no real correlation there for your argument mate.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Just an FYI, the Tahs had a very, very good team in 2011 and would have featured deeper into the finals except for a massive injury toll later in the year that had them dropping out of the finals in the first week. They completely belted the reds 30 - 6 in round 2. Most of the injured players were Wallabies who then featured later on in the test squads when they returned to full fitness. So no real correlation there for your argument mate.
As alluded to above my fat fingers meant 2021.....