• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
296911559_1122604235273260_3618336923389345494_n.jpg

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Given more players have left (LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Faeo, Stewart, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), Mafi, Tualima) than been recruited (Jones) how is it there is salary cap pressure?

Did all the rest get a huge pay rise?

Something doesn't seem quite right

they said salary cap pressure from national players

prettty sure LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the only one in line for a top up.
Also bunch of extensions with aru top ups were signed during the season like Petaia etc

dru

Tim Horan (67)
they said salary cap pressure from national players

prettty sure LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the only one in line for a top up.
Also bunch of extensions with aru top ups were signed during the season like Petaia etc

Were there players who had top ups and now don't? Not so many Reds in the WB starting line up at the moment.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Were there players who had top ups and now don't? Not so many Reds in the WB starting line up at the moment.

no idea bud.

I don’t see a lot of wallabies leaving this off season so I would argue the fact with all the doomsdayers that the reds have not lost any “Key” players and qld incredible nursery depth will once again be relied upon to fill the gaps and save the day.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The problem is, the Reds have relied on a fairly consistent group of players over the last 3-4 years.

They still have plenty of guys from that group left - Taniela, McReight, Wilson, Paisami, JOC (James O'Connor), Petaia but haven't really developed much outside of them. I'd say Faessler and Flook are probably the best recent additions to the team.

I have no doubt the cattle are there to come through, but I'm tipping a lean year at Ballymore. Maybe Thorn's last.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All Players took a hit over COVID. If they are getting back to normal rates, then it is natural that some players won't be able to be afforded.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Less flexibility and injury cover now - although could definitely do worse than Creighton, Henry, and Petaia

Yeh by all accounts if Henry can stay on the park, he will end up being a key member of the 23.

I really like Flook and I hope he kicks on as our locked in 13.

Paisami gets a great chance with the Wallabies to take that 12 jersey with Kerevi out for the year. He'll either come back to us a better player, or might suffer a bit of burnout in 2023.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeh by all accounts if Henry can stay on the park, he will end up being a key member of the 23.

I really like Flook and I hope he kicks on as our locked in 13.

Paisami gets a great chance with the Wallabies to take that 12 jersey with Kerevi out for the year. He'll either come back to us a better player, or might suffer a bit of burnout in 2023.
Yeah Henry is a shoe-in for the 23 jersey, but I'm sure he'll get plenty of starts with injuries/rotation.

You're right re Paisami. Hopefully getting the rest of the season at 12 for the Wallabies will mean that he'll be a lot more comfortable in the position next year. No more jumping between 12 and 13.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Henry has had a horror run this year with injuries. Believe there was a foot issue, a hamstring issue he came back to club rugby for half a game and looked like he did a groin or flared up the hammy on a kick conversion.

was suppose to play aus A but was seen in civiees during the march vs Fiji.

anyone got the lowdown why he didn’t suit up for Aus A?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Henry has had a horror run this year with injuries. Believe there was a foot issue, a hamstring issue he came back to club rugby for half a game and looked like he did a groin or flared up the hammy on a kick conversion.

Got mail this week that he picked up a minor quad tear kicking in the warmup for the game. Same leg as his previous foot and hammy injuries

Wilson

David Codey (61)

From the match thread:
Finally got some mail on this - minor tear to his quad during warmup. Same leg as his foot and hamstring injuries earlier in the year

Hopefully he's back in time to get some time for Wests and whatever Japan tour the Reds are planning

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Paisami and Petaia both had good outings for the Wallabies.

I think some of the 'hype' that Petaia had a few years ago has been put to bed due to his injury status. I reckon that's a good thing. I'd rather him play 80mins for us and be good, not necessarily outstanding.

If he strings together a few more good games for the Wallabies I think the gap between him and Campbell will widen for the fullback spot (even though hes on the wing for the Wobs), Jock didn't do himself many favours in the A team, I thought he was quite meh.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Paisami and Petaia both had good outings for the Wallabies.

I think some of the 'hype' that Petaia had a few years ago has been put to bed due to his injury status. I reckon that's a good thing. I'd rather him play 80mins for us and be good, not necessarily outstanding.

If he strings together a few more good games for the Wallabies I think the gap between him and Campbell will widen for the fullback spot (even though hes on the wing for the Wobs), Jock didn't do himself many favours in the A team, I thought he was quite meh.
Going into RWC year it is a bit of a concern that we don't have a couple of world class fullbacks.
Seems we have had a run of blokes with potential but none have stamped themselves as the "must have"

For mine, Rennie needs to tell each super franchise to pick and stick their best so he can get a decent look at a few.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wouldn't hate it if we picked up Max Douglas now that the tahs have passed him over. With Blyth, Smith, Jones, Uru and Vest we're not in desperate need of starting lock options, but a 2m tall, 22 year old Catchpole medal winner who probably just needs to put on a bit more weight to have an impact at super rugby level would be a pretty good option to round out the squad.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wouldn't hate it if we picked up Max Douglas now that the tahs have passed him over. With Blyth, Smith, Jones, Uru and Vest we're not in desperate need of starting lock options, but a 2m tall, 22 year old Catchpole medal winner who probably just needs to put on a bit more weight to have an impact at super rugby level would be a pretty good option to round out the squad.

there’s a few options in QPR we should be taking a look before we go dipping into that inferior 3rd tier comp:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
there’s a few options in QPR we should be taking a look before we go dipping into that inferior 3rd tier comp:
Ideally, but I haven't really seen anyone stand out this year. Anyone you think is worth giving a shot?

Ideally they'll be able to take someone on whatever Japan tour it is they're planning to get a bit of a look at them at a higher level.