• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Chiefs Round 17 Sat 6th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I know Cooper has had fuck all opportunities tonight, but I think he needs to take control a bit more, get the runners organised and so on. Genia seems lost half the time when the ball is there to play with seemingly no-one to take the ball. Not blaming Cooper, but there is nothing happening with whoever is doing it currently.

A bit hard to organise that clusterF*&^%. There was no base structure to organise anything off.

The one out pick and flop was just woeful, it did nothing to commit defenders and just took more out of the "attackers" if you can call an action that barely makes the gain line an attack.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's actually a huge decision for the points table and a home final.

Chiefs by my reckoning now on the same points as Highlanders, same # of wins, ahead on points difference by 1.

Yes but Chiefs have 'canes next week, albeit at home, Clan have Bloos. Advantage Clan IMO.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A bit hard to organise that clusterF*&^%. There was no base structure to organise anything off.

The one out pick and flop was just woeful, it did nothing to commit defenders and just took more out of the "attackers" if you can call an action that barely makes the gain line an attack.
Yeah, I know it isn't easy, but they often had several phases in a row where he was standing way back while there was "headless chook hither-and-thither" runners. Someone has to take some control of it all, and he has a better eye and brain for it than most. As I said, I'm not blaming him for the shambles, but senior guys have to step up sometimes and try to fix the shit! His approach worked 3 -4 years ago, when there was structure and go-forward play, but it doesn't now.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Reds just so woeful in attack and defence. The defence structure is just so porous 13 and out as it has been for two or three years.

In attack what were they doing? It isn't unlimited tackle league boys, try creating some space and supporting the ball carrier.

Stiles has done some wonderful work with the the set pieces, and that is the one bright point for the Reds from this game.

Only five Reds IMO can be sure of a ticket to London :- Slipper, Holmes, Hanson, Simmons and Cooper. Of them only Slipper and maybe Simmons will be starters.

Genia should be in the Lounge waving them good bye and good luck. His passing is average, his kicking terrible and directly led to a try against the Reds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sounds like the Reds' cultural issues are mildly deeper than they've been so far this season.

Has Woody quit yet?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know Cooper has had fuck all opportunities tonight, but I think he needs to take control a bit more, get the runners organised and so on. Genia seems lost half the time when the ball is there to play with seemingly no-one to take the ball. Not blaming Cooper, but there is nothing happening with whoever is doing it currently.
There is a good Rugby premise called "contract football" essentially it means you don't pass it to someone in a worse position than yourself (Cooper should remember this rule) and you always work to get into a better position than the ball carrier (the Reds team should remember this part of the rule)

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd say the Canes will rest players + they have nothing to play for + teh Chiefs are at home.
I think both sides will win.

Yeah I'm a Tahs fan, and I remember what happened when we rested players on our way to the finals...

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Massive pride on D from the Chiefs, esp. those loosies, wow, Cane, Messam and Leitch

Pulu might be a clot-brained hungus at times, driving everyone insane, but the sort of ticker on display to clock a flying Genia on the stroke of halftime, when he was over the goalline, to dislodge the ball and save a dead cert try, might be what gets him back in the AB's

Bieber with two comically nonsense touches then he vanished.

In summary, The Reds, with much pre-match heraldry and self-acclaim, sweep the bride over the threshold then cannot maintain the tumescence to consummate the deal.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There is a good Rugby premise called "contract football" essentially it means you don't pass it to someone in a worse position than yourself (Cooper should remember this rule) and you always work to get into a better position than the ball carrier (the Reds team should remember this part of the rule)

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

In which case he would have been tackled with the ball nearly everytime he got it as the structures at the Reds are just so poor. There are very few options even off first phase.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds support play on attack is just horrible. It's not that they can't find space, it's just that they are incapable of doing anything with it. Plenty of wide Cooper passes gave his guys oodles of space and time to work with and all they could do was a big fat nothing. That and lack of an apparent pattern for the forwards to work to just makes it hard for the Reds to do much at all. Hunt at 13 is just meh on top of all that, and JOC (James O'Connor) is a shadow of what he was a two years ago.

The Reds defence is just utter crap too. Completely all over the shop, not manning up short sides, not coming up in a line, not drifting when required.

The amazing thing for me is that the Reds didn't score despite so many opportunities - Genia three times coming close, a 5m scrum that they lost all momentum after moving forward a metre, Turner repeatedly unable to beat a man one on one when it matters.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Get rid of Turner, he's lost "it". He just can't score if he's marked anymore.

I've seen you make a number of completely outlandish posts so far this weekend. Just pure one sentence statements of supposed 'fact' with now attempt to back it up.

And on each time they've been pretty off the mark. He's been our best finisher for 2 seasons. He's never been a stepper or bulldozer. Just a good finisher. And he still has that.

Status
Not open for further replies.