• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Crusaders Friday 6th Feb - Ballymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
two names to be added apparently.

Dan Carter to start at 10 for the Crusaders (not sure if their team has been made public yet?)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, here:

Crusaders: Colin Slade, Robbie Fruean, Kieron Fonotia, Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl, Dan Carter, Mitchell Drummond, Luke Whitelock, Matt Todd (c), Jimmy Tupou, Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Ged Robinson, Joe Moody, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Scott Barrett, Tom Sanders, Billy Guyton, Nathaniel Apa, Nafi Tuitavaki, David Havili.

As a commentator for this game, can I add my thanks to the Crusaders organisation for naming probably the easiest to pronounce NZ rugby team in living memory.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good to see Robbie Fruean having a run for the Saders.

I really want to attend this game but I'm also somewhat skeptical. The last Reds trial I attended at Ballymore (this time last year) was an absolute shambles in terms of getting access to the bar and access to transport etc. I'll probably give it another go though as Ballymore seemed to get their act together during the NRC, although I assume there will be many more people at tomorrow nights game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
yep, here:

Crusaders: Colin Slade, Robbie Fruean, Kieron Fonotia, Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl, Dan Carter, Mitchell Drummond, Luke Whitelock, Matt Todd (c), Jimmy Tupou, Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Ged Robinson, Joe Moody, Daniel Lienert-Brown, Scott Barrett, Tom Sanders, Billy Guyton, Nathaniel Apa, Nafi Tuitavaki, David Havili.

As a commentator for this game, can I add my thanks to the Crusaders organisation for naming probably the easiest to pronounce NZ rugby team in living memory.

Reg
am sure you will have no trouble with the following one syllable surnames:

Slade, Todd, Bird and Franks

Some of the reseves with be a mouthfull

Good luck

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No real surprises I think here. Happy for Sam Talakai to have a crack at tight head. Hopefully he delivers the goods. Also I wonder if Browning starting over Beau Robinson is any indicator to the season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
No real surprises I think here. Happy for Sam Talakai to have a crack at tight head. Hopefully he delivers the goods. Also I wonder if Browning starting over Beau Robinson is any indicator to the season.

I reckon Sam went pretty well last week, ably backed up by young Sef.

Curtis is a little taller than Beau and that may be the difference this week, again without Thomson. I would think both guys will be used off the bench this year covering the back 3

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can't see an inch or two or three dictating selection. Browning (hopefully) turning into a wrecking ball may be the reason as opposed to Beaus known quality of general pest (similar to Gill)

T

TOCC

Browning is a 6/8 and Robinson is a 7...
I dont think Robinson was ever in contention for the 6 position, especially not with Thomson and Tui coming into the squad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, Browning has a decent running game that sets him apart from Beau as well. Not as proficient in the penalty count as well.​

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Browning is a 6/8 and Robinson is a 7.
I dont think Robinson was ever in contention for the 6 position, especially not with Thomson and Tui coming into the squad.

My bad, I swear I've seen Gill and Robinson on at the same time throughout the years.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
That is a bit of a meaty backline with CFS and kuridrani in the wings and kerevi at oc. Hopefully our support play will be on point, those three should be generating some good breaks and half breaks to work off.

Also glad to see kotze getting another start.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
That is a bit of a meaty backline with CFS and kuridrani in the wings and kerevi at oc. Hopefully our support play will be on point, those three should be generating some good breaks and half breaks to work off.

Also glad to see Kotze getting another start.

Kotze played well in the NRC, but tomorrow night is a step up. It will be interesting to see how he goes.
Didn't Jake White originally lure him over to the Brumbies from South Africa. White's a coach whom you'd think knows his horseflesh. It would seem that Kotze might be gradually evolving into this level.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh from all reports Kotze didn't get a look in with the Brumbies. He came to Brisbane with the intention to play club rugby and hopefully get a look in with the Reds, I guess it worked.

I think I said this before in the Brisbane City thread a few months ago, Kotze will be a great older head and player for the Reds this year but he won't an answer at lock moving forward e.g. a full time replacement for Horwill. Kotze will do the job of a backup for now but I hope there is some young blood coming through to take the reigns in a few years.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm in the middle of buying tickets online for tomorrows game and it looks like the $25 GA tickets are limited to the two end zones behind the goals (Northern Stand and XXXX Hill).

Can anywhere please confirm if these are the only two areas we'll be able to watch the game with the $25 tickets? Happy to stand up for the duration of the game.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think all the seated areas are $35 (I had a look today then thought bugger it, I'll just buy them at the gate)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, at the end of matches when one comes off the bench one occasion.

Nah - not entirely right USA. Back when Jake White first tried Ita Vaea at 7 for the Brumbies, the Reds that night had two 7s, Robinson at 6 and Gill at 7. The Reds starved the Brumbies of the ball and won the contest.

B

Bobby Sands

In any case it is very rare that Beau has started a game at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.