• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Tahs : Opening game of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Lindommer said:
spectator said:
Oh, and for those making the trek north, there is a Vintage Reds lunch on Friday 12th, $140 a head.

I'd much prefer to attend a meeting of The Yellow Scarf Alcoholics Club at the Brekky Creek on Friday afternoon, followed by a recovery session at the Caxton on Saturday before the game. Any takers?

Brekky on Friday afternoon sounds great....I'll bring my banjo

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Lindommer said:
I'd much prefer to attend a meeting of The Yellow Scarf Alcoholics Club at the Brekky Creek on Friday afternoon, followed by a recovery session at the Caxton on Saturday before the game. Any takers?

We're flying in mid-arvo Friday and dont really have any plans for the evening. The Tahs usually stay at the Sofitel so we may wander down there and do a bit of stalking. Open to any other suggestions - bear in mind that Mrs Riddler will be in attendance.

We are meeting friends for a BBQ at their place in the burbs on Saturday lunchtime and will then head in late arvo for a few (!!) pre-game looseners. The Caxton sounds like a grand plan.

I emailed NSWRU on Friday inquiring about any discount tickets for members. Apparently they are going to send out a notice in the next couple of days with details but there will be a special NSW supporters area. Not sure whether I would want to sit there though - much more fun to bait a few banjo players with some fun banter.

C

chief

Riddler if you wanna fork out on a nice dinner. Take your missus to the Sofitel Buffet. It is the most incredible food, no exaggerations. Has some incredible chefs too.

I think it is going to be a pretty standard turn out in 2007 they got 37,000 unfortunately this year, they will probably get about 20,000. Disappointing to say the least.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
TheRiddler said:
Lindommer said:

We're flying in mid-arvo Friday and dont really have any plans for the evening. The Tahs usually stay at the Sofitel so we may wander down there and do a bit of stalking. Open to any other suggestions - bear in mind that Mrs Riddler will be in attendance.

We are meeting friends for a BBQ at their place in the burbs on Saturday lunchtime and will then head in late arvo for a few (!!) pre-game looseners. The Caxton sounds like a grand plan.

I emailed NSWRU on Friday inquiring about any discount tickets for members. Apparently they are going to send out a notice in the next couple of days with details but there will be a special NSW supporters area. Not sure whether I would want to sit there though - much more fun to bait a few banjo players with some fun banter.
That's where the Vintage Reds lunch is so you'd expect a good number of players from both sides to be there as a Promo. The theme of the lunch is to get past legends from both sides up on stage having a bit of a chin wag and debate so should be a bit of fun, despite the punitive entry fee.

T

TOCC

Premier XV vs QLD Reds 2nd XV will be the curtain raiser to the Reds v Tahs game.

Premier XV will be made up of the of the best QLD premier grade players coached by East coach Pat Richards and assisted by University's Pat Healy

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Qlanders, get to work on a great programme for the night. I am planning to be there. :)

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Well, the NSWRU never came through with any further info on their supposed NSW supporters section or seats. Why am I not surprised? :angryfire:

So I've gone ahead and booked my own seats, row 1, right on the try line. I dont usually like sitting that close as you dont get the best perspective of the game. However, as I will be recording the TV coverage, thought it would be a good location to soak up the atmosphere and get a pitchside perspective. Mrs Riddler is also happy as it gives her closer perving opportunities!

Any further developments on a GAGR pre-game social?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I don't think I'm going to make it. Sorry Riddler. Hope the Banjo Boys take care of you.

oh, we will. Don't worry about that.

We will.

deliverance_banjo.jpg

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
TheRiddler said:
Well, the NSWRU never came through with any further info on their supposed NSW supporters section or seats. Why am I not surprised? :angryfire:

So I've gone ahead and booked my own seats, row 1, right on the try line. I dont usually like sitting that close as you dont get the best perspective of the game. However, as I will be recording the TV coverage, thought it would be a good location to soak up the atmosphere and get a pitchside perspective. Mrs Riddler is also happy as it gives her closer perving opportunities!

you just get the nsw section through ticketek, its called "away supporters" or something to that effect when you select the catergory of ticket.

myself and the sagerian will be up there from midday friday, is there a firm plan for drinks yet, cos i was hoping to sit a few of you reds down and give you some insight into what its like to support a winning team.

G

Geronimo

TOCC said:
Premier XV vs QLD Reds 2nd XV will be the curtain raiser to the Reds v Tahs game.

Premier XV will be made up of the of the best QLD premier grade players coached by East coach Pat Richards and assisted by University's Pat Healy

Interesting to note the Barbarian team playing this week-end seems to me to be a Premier XV. Can anybody shed any light on the difference or will the QLD "A" be lining up against a similar side two weeks in a row?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Ash said:
Obviously you didn't follow rugby in the 90s, WJ...

i did, it was just that it was so long ago, who can remember what happened, i dont even think they kept records did they? its all just he said she said, anything could have happened back then, there was no yellow scarf forum so no one was accountable for keeping score.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
waratahjesus said:
you just get the nsw section through ticketek, its called "away supporters" or something to that effect when you select the catergory of ticket.

Have you seen where that bay is? I think you'd get a better view of the game from the pub around the corner. My point was that I emailed the NSWRU a few weeks back to enquire about arrangements for visiting fans and received an reply stating that members would be sent details in the following week. Nothing was seen or heard. If the NSWRU cant even look after their own travelling members or provide a bit of background assistance who are prepared to spend big $$$ on an interstate weekend away to support the team, is it any wonder that the membership gets disenchanted and that season ticket renewal rates are piss poor?

With regards to the GAGR social, I'm happy to report that I can tolerate both sorts of music.....

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
waratahjesus said:
i did, it was just that it was so long ago, who can remember what happened, i dont even think they kept records did they? its all just he said she said, anything could have happened back then, there was no yellow scarf forum so no one was accountable for keeping score.

This is too easy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_10_(Southern_Hemisphere_competition)

Queensland twice victors. Ahhh, history, hey? Brumbies and Reds are the only Australian sides to have won any Super competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Super_12_season - Queensland top of the table, lost prem. final :'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Super_12_season - Queensland back to their rightful place as top Australian team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Super_12_season - Quuensland top of the S14 table, knocked out in the prem. final again :'( The Reds played pretty poorly, Norm Berryman tore them a new one, if I recall rightly. Tim Horan scored a cracker of a 40m solo try, though. I was there at Ballymore right on the 22m, but my memory is a little hazy now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Super_12_season Keen students of history will note some interesting scores from this season. Might've been the last year where all 3 Australian sides performed well.

If there's one thing we've learnt from history, it's that we don't learn from history...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
In 2002 Tahs lost 96-19 to the Saders.

The ref was ... but I don't need to tell you, do I?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scarfy, yeah, horrible night for an Aust rugby fan. Even my dad, a rabid Queensland supporter in everything and someone who likes to beat NSW, refused to continue watching it as he didn't like to see that happen. But it was one of those matches where everything the Crusaders did, came off. Some of it unbelievably brilliantly. In contrast...just was not NSW's night. But you could tell after that game that NSW were dusted for the semi next week. It's a long way to come back, and the Brumbies made them pay.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Ash said:
waratahjesus said:

This is too easy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_10_(Southern_Hemisphere_competition)

Queensland twice victors. Ahhh, history, hey? Brumbies and Reds are the only Australian sides to have won any Super competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Super_12_season - Queensland top of the table, lost prem. final :'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Super_12_season - Queensland back to their rightful place as top Australian team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Super_12_season - Quuensland top of the S14 table, knocked out in the prem. final again :'( The Reds played pretty poorly, Norm Berryman tore them a new one, if I recall rightly. Tim Horan scored a cracker of a 40m solo try, though. I was there at Ballymore right on the 22m, but my memory is a little hazy now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Super_12_season Keen students of history will note some interesting scores from this season. Might've been the last year where all 3 Australian sides performed well.

If there's one thing we've learnt from history, it's that we don't learn from history...

thanks for that ash, unfortunately the links arnt working on my computer and the black against the white of the bits you wrote out are hurting my eyes, so im not sure what the gist of it was

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
TheRiddler said:

So where will everyone be?

Status
Not open for further replies.