• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Tahs : Opening game of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
chief said:
Scotty said:
Sorry no friday attendance for me. Dinner with the wife at Simpatico in the Valley.

Simpatico is in Paddington. Not the Valley.

Ah, so it is. I'm sure we are off the Valley, so must be a different restaurant, I'll try and dig it out of the memory.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyway, back to the rugby. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?????

Jimmy Horwill apparently is set to play 6 whilst Waugh is apparently going to play 8 with Cliffy Palu at blindside?

I repeat. WHAT. THE FUCK. IS GOING ON!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ok, ignore that. Kev is expected to play 6 but the tahs aren't that crazy.

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Sosene Anesi
14. Lachie Turner
13. Tom Carter
12. Kurtley Beale
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Berrick Barnes
9. Luke Burgess
8. Wycliff Palu
7. Phil Waugh [c]
6. Dean Mumm
5. Cam Jowitt
4. Will Caldwell
3. Al Baxter
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
1. Benn Robinson
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Kane Douglas
19. Ben Mowen
20. Josh Holmes
21. Daniel Halangahu
22. Rory Sidey

I'd play Mortgan T at 13 now with Diggers on the wing. Tahs aren't an attacking threat at 13 now, so let's get our most experienced man in the team. No Adam Freier? Was he injured?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm sure it's just pre-game BS that will come to nothing. Surely Link of all people respects the meaning of tight-forward.

After all that Waugh to 8 story didn't come to fruition, why should Horwill to 6?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy said:
No Adam Freier? Was he injured?

Must be because he hasn't played in any trial. We will all recall that he missed a lot of games (8??) in the S14 last year with a damaged calf but some folks may not know that he broke down again in club rugby not long after his comeback and hasn't been seen since.

The only good part of that story, if there can be one, is that Fitzpatrick should get more game time from the bench. He's had a bit of a charmed run as a 3rd string hooker and hopefully he will make the most of his chances.

Meantime Luke Holmes is in the wider training squad as backup.

T

tranquility

He may have thrown some spanners in the works but I like that he is at least using is noggin. Morahan didn't make the xv on a split decision, very close. however I liked that he mentioned that even though chambers is green, he will be useful coming off the bench with his big game experience. +1

I like that slipper is on the bench as the reserve prop. outstanding talent who can play on both sides of the scrum and is a BIG boy.

our centres are both nuggety - which could be useful in a congested channel.

Higginbum at 8. +1

Im still not sold on horwill at 6 but it does make for a massssssive pack. shaw to come on early if it doesn't work. andrew is a mate of mine and he will be very up for the fire and brimstone.

Interesting that lei tomiki didnt make the 22.

And I like that Walsh is on the bench - in case shit hits the fan. Get Fainga'a off - Quade to 12 - Walshy to steer the ship.

overall I'm happy.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I posed a bit on the other thread (Reds), but Horwill at 6 is a huge fail. Not enough mobility for a flanker. A tight, wet game and you might get away with it, but it probably won't be (wet). Horwill needs to be at lock.

Davies over Morahan is another curious (very poor I think) suggestion too. Absolutely no Morahan? Silly.

I like Shaw, but he's still young. Shaw at 6 would've been better than Horwill too. Braid isn't an out and out fetcher, so Braid + Luafutu or Braid + Shaw would be a nice combination in my book.

I don't like the lack of Lucas on the bench.

Ioane at wing, Hynes at fullback, Daley at LH are all good selections though. I bet that Slipper made the bench on the basis of being a TH - Holmes loses out as he can't adequately cover TH (and looked poor in the trail, anyhow).

Chambers on the bench? Supposedly key signing. Always going to be there no matter how badly he fared in the trials.

G

Geronimo

Yes it would look silly not having Chambers picked at all. I am also concerned with Horwill at six, he is not mobile enough. Good to see Slipper there also and I am told Lucas has a severe cork from last week's game (I would have him as reserve half and reserve 10). I would have liked to see our other Coastie in the team but Davies has pipped him in what I agree would be a close call. My selection would have been Mozza on the wing and Digby in the centres

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
en_force_er said:
I'm sure it's just pre-game BS that will come to nothing. Surely Link of all people respects the meaning of tight-forward.

After all that Waugh to 8 story didn't come to fruition, why should Horwill to 6?

I think Hickey said he might get Waugh to pack in at 8 at defensive scrums so he is second to the breakdown and can steal the ball. I don't think he was ever going to be picked at 8.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Right, Mrs Riddler is packing her bags, I'll do mine about 5 mins before the cab arrives tomorrow lunchtime. Plan to be in the Exchange Hotel tomorrow evening from 5ish and then prob the Caxton from 5ish on Saturday. Hope to see some of you at either venue, if not hope you have a wonderful weekend and Go the Tahs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
decent QLD A side:

QAS Reds 2nd XV team to play the Queensland Premier XV team at Suncorp on Saturday (from fullback): Aidan Toua (Easts), Luke Morahan (University), Brando Va’aulu (University), Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank), Blair Connor (Norths), Jono Lance (University), Brent Hamlin (Souths), Leroy Houston (Sunnybank), Lei Tomiki (GPS), Jake Schatz (Sunnybank), Robert Simmons (Sunnybank), Liam Shaw (Brothers), Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank), James Hanson (University), Greg Holmes (Sunnybank). Reserves: Andrew Coady (Brothers), Albert Anae (Sunnybank), David Feao (Souths), Jarrad Butler (Gold Coast), Simon Price (Brothers), Sam Grasso (Brothers), Simon Morahan (Gold Coast), Paul Doneley

Leroy's back.
Tomeki is playing for GPS (they should see a fair bit of him).
Hanson is skipper
our 2008 frontrow of Holmes and Danya at prop.

C

chief

No Morahan is a big call (stupid) very concerning. It actually made me tip against the reds. Reds to get thrashed.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Having watched two of the trial games, and the other on live feed, I am prepared to say that Rod Davies has been the best winger on show, and if selection is being based on form then he deserves his spot. As does Andrew Shaw deserve his bench spot.

Morahan has tremendous potential and will get his chance soon enough.

C

chief

Noddy said:
because of the impact of a rookie winger?

Firstly congrats on the 3k posts.

Secondly, I should have expanded. Morahan is just an example he should have been picked, impressed me. Horwill at #6 shouldn't occur either, I don't think he is mobile enough. It is just the overall team, that made me more realistic of who will win this game.

T

tranquility

Luke morahan is a phenomenal talent and I agree that he probably has the most potential to be a world class winger out of the current reds youngsters.

But people are quick to forget Rod Davies pedigree. Finished at Ipswich in 2006 as Aus Schoolboys fullback and was talked about in the same bracket at Quade and Kurtley. Got head hunted by Wayne Bennett following that year and got lost in the wilderness in the lower league ranks. Last year was not only his first taste of senior football - but also his first year back in union with no club football.

Also - if you think Morahan is fast you should see Rod. Rod won the GPS 100m which is no mean feat, and would be the the top 5 quickest players in the comp. Zero exaggeration. His try against the force is testament to that.

Let's hope they both have an outstanding 2010 and push each other to new heights.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy said:

That's a big disappointment for me. Maybe I saw his only good games in 2008/09 but he looked OK and it doesn't reconcile with his not making a Reds 22.

Likewise Greg Holmes not making the 22 is another disappointment after he started his career with a hiss and a roar - who could forget that 60M+ try against Ireland? I know he was out for a while but I wonder if he'll ever make it back to the big time.

Morahan - well said traqnquility.

Yeah - let's not get too fazed over one selection for one round. If you're having problems deciding which winger to use in the next couple of years - and you'll have a few more coming through - the Tahs will help out by taking your rejects.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
decent QLD A side:

QAS Reds 2nd XV team to play the Queensland Premier XV team at Suncorp on Saturday (from fullback): Aidan Toua (Easts), Luke Morahan (University), Brando Va’aulu (University), Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank), Blair Connor (Norths), Jono Lance (University), Brent Hamlin (Souths), Leroy Houston (Sunnybank), Lei Tomiki (GPS), Jake Schatz (Sunnybank), Robert Simmons (Sunnybank), Liam Shaw (Brothers), Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank), James Hanson (University), Greg Holmes (Sunnybank). Reserves: Andrew Coady (Brothers), Albert Anae (Sunnybank), David Feao (Souths), Jarrad Butler (Gold Coast), Simon Price (Brothers), Sam Grasso (Brothers), Simon Morahan (Gold Coast), Paul Doneley

Leroy's back.
Hanson is skipper
our 2008 frontrow of Holmes and Danya at prop.
Would like to have seen Blair Connor at 13. He is an excellent outside centre at club level.

I'm also keen to see how Butler and Morahan go if they get a run.

T

tranquility

did nicky price do anything in the game last week? interesting to see that he is not in either squad this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.