• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs Round 5 - 2016 Super Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That is certainly a pretty formidable double set of front rows. If the Tahs don't find some serious improvement at scrum time they will find themselves pushed all the way out onto Caxton Street if not careful.

At which point there will time for a quick XXXX and a sly 20 in the pokies while the Reds take the kick, so it's not all bad.

Absolutely right.

Suppose we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Slips back for 1st game since shoulder recon AND knee operation. Will be down on strength and match fitness (obviously) but his "passion" should carry him through for a good 20. Then a bye and back to starting in week 7.

Sounds like Gilly will be run-on. Again the lad has not played for a number of weeks and to expect him to "towel" up Michael Hooper is a bit rich. Like Slips he is passionate about playing for the Reds and in particular against the Tahs.

Expect the two will be chomping at the bit. Just needs the rest of the team to continue to "man-up "

Reds by 7

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the issue was Ta'avao and his supposed shoulder injury. It seemed to be caused by reaching a predetermined time on the match clock rather then any physical contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Ta'avao feign injury though?

From what I understand, for the purpose of reducing injuries, since there's been three front rowers on the bench, there is no longer an obligation on them, or the subbed players, to replace any position other than the one they are are specified for. In other words, a THP is not obligated to replace an LHP or vice versa. I think this has happened in a test match involving the Springboks, though I could be wrong about the team, they didn't feign injury they just said, "we don't have a prop for that side of the scrum."

So there was no obligation under the rules for Ta'avao to replace Tilse who was at LHP at the time.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

From what I understand, for the purpose of reducing injuries, since there's been three front rowers on the bench, there is no longer an obligation on them, or the subbed players, to replace any position other than the one they are are specified for. In other words, a THP is not obligated to replace an LHP or vice versa. I think this has happened in a test match involving the Springboks, though I could be wrong about the team, they didn't feign injury they just said, "we don't have a prop for that side of the scrum."

So there was no obligation under the rules for Ta'avao to replace Tilse who was at LHP at the time.

You may be right based on a narrow interpretation (or black letter law) of the rules.

Still it is not in the spirit of the game and in fact as weak as piss.

I think the Tahs effort on THAT day (to go uncontested) will haunt them for quite a while (at least with other Props across the competition)

T

TOCC

Well there was no apparent injury in the passage leading up to the point where he took a knee, and he only took a knee once then ref had blown for a break in play.. Given Robinson's injury, the only way Ta'avao could be subbed was if he was feigned injury. It all seemed rather convenient..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I really hope the Reds go into this game just focusing on the scrum to gain the upper hand.

I sincerely doubt we will but if we do we deserve to get beaten. It's been evident the last two weeks though that we have been seeking to improve each week in targeted areas seemingly looking for a more complete performance. As we should.

I am tipping we will have been focussing during the week on tightening up the lineout and working to secure faster ball and disrupt your ball more effectively at the ruck. The backs will (hopefully) have been working on straightening the attack a bit more to hold defenders and getting our back three working harder (well the two wingers - Hunt is already working hard) to provide more options and get your D second guessing.

The scrum is rightfully being mentioned in here as much as it is because of the stark difference between the two sides scrummaging ability and how the last match finished.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really hope the Reds go into this game just focusing on the scrum to gain the upper hand.

it's the benefit of having two co-interim head coaches. One of our co-interim head coaches may well decide to just focus on the scrum, but thankfully we have another co-interim head coach as back up who can focus on the other areas too.

I think it's fair to say we've seen a lot more attacking structure in the last couple of weeks. Some actual backline moves, which has been refreshing.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
really? People often neglect to remember that at least in 2010 the Reds scrum was really a weapon. I remember it destroyed the Bulls on at least one occasion. The front row (of Weeks, Fainga'a and Daley) in fact were known as the tripod, on the back of their strong scrumwork.

You're right, though I remember it being more of a solid platform than a weapon. But I also remember the excitement about it being firmly rooted in novelty.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i've admired the reds over the past few years. you guys and your scrum were the only northern hemisphere team playing in the southern comp.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon if we are in the game near the end with Slipper on the field we should be able to shut it out - steady hand and all of that.

Tahs are hot favourites but much stranger things have happened than the Reds beating them on Sunday

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Imma just gonna leave this here..... Because, well..... #scrums

scrums.JPG

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, Benn Robinson is doing such a good job of feigning injury he hasn't played since round 1 against the Reds.

He knows it's his only chance at the Wallabies?? Or impress French clubs while his manager does the rounds with highlights from 4 years ago?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He knows it's his only chance at the Wallabies?? Or impress French clubs while his manager does the rounds with highlights from 4 years ago?

I honestly think he'll finish his career in Australia and then start a career post rugby here.

His partner has a pretty solid career and they're well settled in Sydney.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any idea what he will do, post rugby ?

He's done a Bachelor of Sport Business degree (I'm sure that is as highflying as it sounds!) and he's the President of RUPA.

My guess is he could end up working for RUPA or the ARU or one of the Super Rugby franchises. No idea whether he's likely to get into coaching.

Moving to Europe seems less likely when he's not the sole breadwinner.

I could be completely wrong though. I'm just speculating.

It's also harder to move overseas when your child has fur.

1370624400000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.