• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
This might be a controversial opinion, but I'll put it out there. Everyone on here who 'hates' other Australian teams seems to be a Reds fan. Maybe it's just a statistical fluke, or maybe I've only seen the Reds posts, but that's how it's coming over to me.

As far as I'm concerned, there are 15 teams in this competition, and 14 in the way of the Reds becoming the champions. Is it bad to aim high? I'm sure the Reds players and coaching staff see it exactly the same way, so why shouldn't we? Hate? Come on, no one hates anybody. I would just simply be appalled if the lowly Waratahs ended up making the finals instead of the Reds. Tough!

You should all be ashamed of yourself from trying to put a dampener on the Reds season. Rugby is wonderful to watch, and the Reds play wonderful rugby.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This might be a controversial opinion, but I'll put it out there. Everyone on here who 'hates' other Australian teams seems to be a Reds fan. Maybe it's just a statistical fluke, or maybe I've only seen the Reds posts, but that's how it's coming over to me.
Like the Sader fans in NZ or the Sharks lot in SA. I'll always support my team first, then support the SA teams vs NZ/Aus and the underdog in the SA derbies non Stormers match. Just feel wrong to support Morne vs Cooper in his green jersey and not supporting him in his blue jersey against the same opponent.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed, forum's turned a little nasty since the Tah's have started losing

For me, this is all about the core problem: it has not been good for Aus rugby to have had a situation where only one S14 team has gotten truly near the top of S14 rugby for many years. This is not to discredit the Tahs - at least we have had one credible aspirant to an S14 Finals win, and the Tahs have been that an impressive number of times.

But it is not good for the code that they were it, and only it - and no one else has come close for a long period. Such relative dominance without real threat inevitably brings some (justified and unjustified) hubris, and some complacency too (certainly relative to other Australian teams).

If we are going rebuild the code in this country IMO we _must_ have at least two (any two) Aus S15 teams _consistently_ as strong Finals and SFs contenders, year in, year out. That implies a reasonable depth of both player quality and coaching excellence, something that is manifestly not present at adequate levels today in the Aus S15 (witness the today S15 aggregates points count for the Aus teams v SA and NZ, we have the lowest top 3 teams' conf points). Two S15 toppers every year (hopefully the two will oscillate and vary) also induces a strong-enough fan base that is geographically balanced and consolidates diversified gate income over time (a crucial economic KPI for country code-health).

When only one team dominates for say 5+ years, inevitably the consistent also-rans get some buried resentment derived from the dominator's fan-love, and all related. And when, as this year, roles are somewhat reversed (thus far), there's going to be some emotive pay-backs (justified and unjustified).

What disappoints me is that this year could turn out just like all the others - we have no Bulls-Stomers or Crus-Blues duo fighting it out for top places, but rather the Reds may replace the Tahs, and no one else has points enough to really propel two Aus team to the final contests. In a sense, yes, great for long-suffering Reds' fans, but, fundamentally, we won't have strengthened the whole.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I want to see all the Aussie teams doing well or at least playing to their potential. That's where it begins and ends for me. The thing is, if the Aussie franchises are going well it carries forward to the Wallabies. I regard that as a good thing.

I don't really buy into state based faux-hatred. It's a bit silly.

Take hatred out of the equation because I can't bring myself to hate anybody over a game of rugby.

I am a Reds fan and I see no reason to support any other Australian provence by default on the basis that they are Australian. My view changes when they all unite in the Wallabies. I mean no spite but when the Tahs were struggling against the Blues my first thought was this is great for the Reds and they well get a chance to pull away on the conference ladder. I don't mind admitting that secondly I hope the other results fall in a manner that benifets the Reds. When none of that is in play I don't mind admitting that I will cheer for the under dog regardless of what country their provence lies in and I also take joy in seeing the team that plays the better rugby getting the result.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I dont think it is Reds fans, I think it is QLD born Reds fans, there is a bit of an issue here with anything from outside of QLD.

Many people identify as a QLDer first then an Australian

T

TOCC

With the nature of the competition and the conference leader gaining automatic finals selection, it would be silly to believe that there wont be more then a few Tahs fans cheering against the Reds in coming weeks.

Whether they are willing to admit it on here is another thing though.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
As far as I'm concerned, there are 15 teams in this competition, and 14 in the way of the Reds becoming the champions. Is it bad to aim high? I'm sure the Reds players and coaching staff see it exactly the same way, so why shouldn't we? Hate? Come on, no one hates anybody. I would just simply be appalled if the lowly Waratahs ended up making the finals instead of the Reds. Tough!

You should all be ashamed of yourself from trying to put a dampener on the Reds season. Rugby is wonderful to watch, and the Reds play wonderful rugby.

The same logic I follow.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
A little late to provide comment but I'm a very happy supporter after the win last Saturday. The Genia/Cooper show was brilliant, and players like Morahan and Ioane complemented their fine work well. Great committment and effort from the forwards as well. These guys are on a real roll at the moment.

The one thing I wasn't that pleased about was letting in that many points, I thought the defensive lapse off the kickoff was inexcusable when the Bulls scored scored that try. Still, it was last year's champions, so well done Reds!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They were very good, the Reds. The Bulls, as I predicted, were no mugs though. They gave plenty and probably played some of their best footy for the season. They were still a rough chance even about 10 minutes from the end. The Reds will want to make sure they don't have any more of those little lapses in concentration like they did for Basson's try, but overall they treasured possession, ran well, played a good territory game and were solid at the breakdown. That lineout needs some work though. I thought it was a little poor against the Stormers too.

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
With the nature of the competition and the conference leader gaining automatic finals selection, it would be silly to believe that there wont be more then a few Tahs fans cheering against the Reds in coming weeks.

That's probably the most logical viewpoint, but when does logic come into?
I can see that it would have been better for the Tahs if the Reds had lost to the Bulls, but as an Australian I was cheering for the Reds.
If the Red win the comp I will be happy that an Australian team made it (just not as ecstatic that I would be if the Tahs won).

T

tranquility

Take hatred out of the equation because I can't bring myself to hate anybody over a game of rugby.

I am a Reds fan and I see no reason to support any other Australian provence by default on the basis that they are Australian. My view changes when they all unite in the Wallabies. I mean no spite but when the Tahs were struggling against the Blues my first thought was this is great for the Reds and they well get a chance to pull away on the conference ladder. I don't mind admitting that secondly I hope the other results fall in a manner that benifets the Reds. When none of that is in play I don't mind admitting that I will cheer for the under dog regardless of what country their provence lies in and I also take joy in seeing the team that plays the better rugby getting the result.

Spot on. Nail-head, bulls-eye and all that.

W

WB3

Just a heads up - SuperKakashiSenpai has uploaded full games of most of the S15 (including this game) on his youtube profile. Bar some commentary lag the quality is excellent. Im watching the game now because I missed it over the weekend.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Well, I can only speak for myself, but you are wrong. Except for next week, when I happily admit I'll cheer against the Reds. ;)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Some people are slaves to their parochial nature. Forums and interweb chat areas are interesting view places for Human Psychology amateurs like myself. It is interesting to see how emotional attached some can become to "their" team. When that emotional attachment is threatened in get very defensive, when the team wins they are elated and are embroiled in a form of post coital ecstacy almost. If somebody is critical of something about this entity which brings them such emtoinal responses they respond in a typically emtional way. Including reacting in ways they would not if they were face to face with the person they are speaking to. The removal of those inhibitions by the anonymity granted by the interweb means people will post all sorts of things they wouldn't like others to associate with the "real selves". Last year when I consistantly attacked coaching and mode of play and a few other aspects some people including a few mods got very upset. When you look at this reaction the way I do (as above) you can see why I was so amused by it. Be assured that I do not post anything that I wouldn't put my real name to, or say to the subjects face. In fact I would love to sit down and speak to R. Deans about all the stuff I posted, it would be a great debate I am sure.

I have been a Tahs supporter for over 30 years and get the shits with them regularly and elated much less often. But I can honestly say that while I will support the Tahs against any other team, I will be just as elated by good play by the other Oz teams and even non-Oz teams. All the more so if they aren't playing an Oz team or the Tah in particular.

Does this make me a Rugby Whore? Probably, I know I'd like to get money for my obsession, but since I don't get paid it probably just makes me a Rugby Slut.

Status
Not open for further replies.