• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I was expecting a knee kick, myself.
Did anyone else notice how deceptively quick he was, even out-paced the ultimate athlete Spies?

Yes, but Spies is actually faster running backwards than forward. He only runs forward to give other players a chance.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I find this a strange comment, mainly because it seems completely self defeating, unless winning the S15 title means more than a 3N/Bledisloe/RWC trophy. (I do not rule out some members of this forum having this opinion).

Why can't we be thrilled if all Oz teams are doing well in every year? I am full on Reds, but I still support the other Oz teams when they play the Kiwi and Saffa provinces. Still, it has always been a bit of a marker in my house that even when the Reds were struggling at the foot of the table, beating the other Oz teams for bragging rights is the goal. But I would never wish them to suffer.

At the end of the day, strong Oz provinces equals a strong Wallaby team. Let me tell you; underneath my Reds jersey is a shirt of Wallaby Gold.

A part of supporting a team is absolutely hating all opposition with a passion. Do you follow any other codes? If so, do you sort of support other teams? Unlikely. This does not mean that I cannot also support the Wallabies with a passion.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
overrated as in there performances haven't matched the quality of the playing roster.

I just said they've been the best Australian side for the last 6 years. That means they have performed... If you're trying to tell me they haven't won the comp well the only year that had a squad good enough to win the comp was 2008. They got very close and if not for injuries would've won the GF.

T

TOCC

I just said they've been the best Australian side for the last 6 years. That means they have performed... If you're trying to tell me they haven't won the comp well the only year that had a squad good enough to win the comp was 2008. They got very close and if not for injuries would've won the GF.

Qwerty51 do you honestly believe that the Waratahs have performed to there peak potential for the past 6 years or have they fallen below??

Il even ignore 2007 season when they finished 13th...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A part of supporting a team is absolutely hating all opposition with a passion. Do you follow any other codes? If so, do you sort of support other teams? Unlikely. This does not mean that I cannot also support the Wallabies with a passion.

Speak for yourself. You're not talking about the Tahs playing the Reds, you're talking about the Tahs in isolation. If you want to see the Tahs falling further and further behind the Reds, it implies you would prefer to see the Tahs lose to, say, the Blues and / or any other non-Aus team. This is the bit I don't get. You can keep your hate theory - it doesn't wash with me mate. You seem to hate the Tahs, not all opposition. Why not just say that?
I would rather see all the Aus teams going well, and obviously my team to win matches against them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty51 do you honestly believe that the Waratahs have performed to there peak potential for the past 6 years or have they fallen below??

Il even ignore 2007 season when they finished 13th...

They finished top Australian side every year except 2007. In 2009 they missed out of the semis by 4 points of for/against. But still, they were never going to beat the Bulls were they? They didn't have a good enough side. Like I said, the only time they've had a decent side good enough to win the competition is 2008 and they went bloody close.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Speak for yourself. You're not talking about the Tahs playing the Reds, you're talking about the Tahs in isolation. If you want to see the Tahs falling further and further behind the Reds, it implies you would prefer to see the Tahs lose to, say, the Blues and / or any other non-Aus team. This is the bit I don't get. You can keep your hate theory - it doesn't wash with me mate. You seem to hate the Tahs, not all opposition. Why not just say that?
I would rather see all the Aus teams going well, and obviously my team to win matches against them.

I hate all opposition teams, just some more than others. The Tahs annoy me mainly for their arrogance and the vibe they give off that they are great despite underperforming for many years. If you think I only dislike non-Reds Australian teams then you should here me when I am watching the Saders play; they have made an art out of cheating. McCaw is a habitual cheater, not to mention that fact that their entire game plan is based on scoring from broken play. There is no phase work or constructing tries, just pure ass.

T

TOCC

They finished top Australian side every year except 2007. In 2009 they missed out of the semis by 4 points of for/against. But still, they were never going to beat the Bulls were they? They didn't have a good enough side. Like I said, the only time they've had a decent side good enough to win the competition is 2008 and they went bloody close.

Yep im aware of the table, but you didnt really answer the question, which was: do you believe that the Waratahs have performed to there peak potential for the past 6 years or have they fallen below?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't hate the Reds, but I found it quite annoying that the Tahs played the Bulls, Stormers and Crusaders away last year and performed admirably in two of those games, whereas the Reds played all of them at home. The Reds still played very well, but those oppositions are a less frightening prospect at home than away.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I hate all opposition teams, just some more than others. The Tahs annoy me mainly for their arrogance and the vibe they give off that they are great despite underperforming for many years. If you think I only dislike non-Reds Australian teams then you should here me when I am watching the Saders play; they have made an art out of cheating. McCaw is a habitual cheater, not to mention that fact that their entire game plan is based on scoring from broken play. There is no phase work or constructing tries, just pure ass.
Perhaps one of the sillier comments I have ever read on this site.
Very hard to take you seriously, sorry.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep im aware of the table, but you didnt really answer the question, which was: do you believe that the Waratahs have performed to there peak potential for the past 6 years or have they fallen below?

To their peak? Absolutely not. So if you're talking about below their peak then yes. They have not under performed at all however. How can you call making the semis/finals in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 and a very near miss in 2009 under performing? They performed quite well compared to every other side except the Crusaders and Bulls.

T

TOCC

To their peak? Absolutely not. So if you're talking about below their peak then yes. They have not under performed at all however. How can you call making the semis/finals in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 and a very near miss in 2009 under performing? They performed quite well compared to every other side except the Crusaders and Bulls.

Some would argue that by not playing to there potential they have in fact underperformed...

But hey, this little debate isnt going to be settled so il leave it there.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Perhaps one of the sillier comments I have ever read on this site.
Very hard to take you seriously, sorry.

Admittedly they are still a very good team, evidenced in winning numerous Super Rugby titles.

Did you watch the Chiefs vs Saders game? The Chiefs killed them in every area, but when they lost the ball the Saders ran the whole field. All their tries came off the back of about 2 phases.

Have you ever wondered why the All Blacks have only won a single wc. By the time they reach the pointy end of the competition the opposition rarely turns the ball over and so the All Blacks are denied the opportunity to counter attack and so they are unable to score.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Have you ever wondered why the All Blacks have only won a single wc. By the time they reach the pointy end of the competition the opposition rarely turns the ball over and so the All Blacks are denied the opportunity to counter attack and so they are unable to score.

You should make some money advising national coaches to adopt this strategy in all the other tests. You'll be rich.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I want to see all the Aussie teams doing well or at least playing to their potential. That's where it begins and ends for me. The thing is, if the Aussie franchises are going well it carries forward to the Wallabies. I regard that as a good thing.

I don't really buy into state based faux-hatred. It's a bit silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.