• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls 2011R09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I knew sooner or later we'd get some good hyperbole on this thread. Really? In droves? :)

Hey, give me a break, with a 2 year old and an 8.5 months pregnant wife I don't get the chance to drink much anymore, so after a few tonight, this shit is just slipping out.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Exactly right. Robinson was not a playmaker. He was a first receiver to truck the ball up for a recycle if you look at the tacklers he targetted it was invariably the backrowers for the Bulls to take them out of the play. Very happy to see couple of old Wicks moves used from set peice, the double wrap around for Morahan's second a classic I remember Knox and Campo executing to perfection.

It would seem Link was doing more than just sticking his head into scrums during those golden years at the 'Wicks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hey, give me a break, with a 2 year old and an 8.5 months pregnant wife I don't get the chance to drink much anymore, so after a few tonight, this shit is just slipping out.

I admire you temperance in the face of adversity!!
I concede the point!
Good luck to you and the missus.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Good on yer Scotty. Good on yer. Enjoy. I am, about 30,000 others too + the numbers at home. This hyper-enthusiasm for the Reds is totally deserved tonight. Critically though, this is all wonderful for the code in Australia.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good on yer Scotty. Good on yer. Enjoy. I am, about 30,000 others too + the numbers at home. This hyper-enthusiasm for the Reds is totally deserved tonight. Critically though, this is all wonderful for the code in Australia.

Thanks RH and cyclo.

What would truly be wonderful for the code in this country is if the Tahs could find some consistency (look out Reds there 'on' week is next week), the Rebels could tackle, and the important Force players could stop being injured. Oh and if John Connolly became the next Brumby coach to put them all in their places.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks RH and cyclo.

What would truly be wonderful for the code in this country is if the Tahs could find some consistency (look out Reds there 'on' week is next week), the Rebels could tackle, and the important Force players could stop being injured. Oh and if John Connolly became the next Brumby coach to put them all in their places.

The Tahs have been overrated for too long. I cannot say I want them to improve.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
True, but I think in the past the influence of NSW on the ARU and the selection of the Wallabies squad (how the heck was Baxter picked for so many games?) has been detrimental and so I like to see them suffer a bit. I understand your point in regards to all Aussie teams doing well in a wc year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone but Baxter. The guy was a hack.

Ok name those better. Dunning? Blake (before he went OS)? Darwin got broken? Perhaps you wanted Holmes to play TH, or Henderson, or Young.

The fact is Fuse was the last man standing and despite his shakey start he struggled only against Woodcock.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
True, but I think in the past the influence of NSW on the ARU and the selection of the Wallabies squad (how the heck was Baxter picked for so many games?) has been detrimental and so I like to see them suffer a bit. I understand your point in regards to all Aussie teams doing well in a wc year.

That is just rubbish. I know this is the Reds/Bulls match thread but I just can't let shit like that slide.

But back to the game, I think this was easily Quade's best performance of the year. Looked so assured, and seemingly had endless time to work his magic in front of a good defence. Passing was spot on as well.

A

allitsab

Agree that it was a standout performance for Quade.. He even put a few decent tackles in..

Well worth the trip. Looking forward to next week!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
top effort from the piggies again. when we're going forward we are hard to beat.

I can see sort of what the jaapies are saying. I think some of our decoy runners are very close to the edge indeed, however some look worse than what they are.

Let's hope we put in another proper performance next week, not the drivel that I had to endure out at Homebush a few weeks ago.

Bet the cacko will be going off tonight.

D

daz

I find this a strange comment, mainly because it seems completely self defeating, unless winning the S15 title means more than a 3N/Bledisloe/RWC trophy. (I do not rule out some members of this forum having this opinion).

Why can't we be thrilled if all Oz teams are doing well in every year? I am full on Reds, but I still support the other Oz teams when they play the Kiwi and Saffa provinces. Still, it has always been a bit of a marker in my house that even when the Reds were struggling at the foot of the table, beating the other Oz teams for bragging rights is the goal. But I would never wish them to suffer.

At the end of the day, strong Oz provinces equals a strong Wallaby team. Let me tell you; underneath my Reds jersey is a shirt of Wallaby Gold.

T

TOCC

not all South African reporting is condescending, the RSA Rugby Union homepage was much more flattering this week after subtle accusations of cheating last week.

Overwhelmed by the Reds' attacking brilliance, the Vodacom Bulls season fell further in despair as they lost 39-30 at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on Saturday.

While they were streets better than the horror show of Timaru, the Bulls were still not good enough. On a night when they were confronted with possibly the best attack in the competition, it was left to one statistic to tell a sorry tale for the evening.

While the scoreline says the Bulls were just out of bonus point reach, six tries to three tells a rather different story for the defending champions, who are increasingly looking like they will give up their title with a whimper, rather than a fight.

For as much as they were better on the night, they still proved how out of touch they are in this year’s competition. Apart from some individual brilliance by Bjorn Basson, their attack looked sterile and every single weapon that won them three Super Rugby titles, seems so far away at the moment you wonder if this is the same team that swarmed to the title last year.

The Bulls will continue to talk about working hard and being accurate, but unless some honest answers are found within the squad -- and not continuing the normal diatribe that everything is going well, things will not improve.

Consider that other than the scoreline, the Bulls saved two tries -- including a magnificent tackle by Francois Hougaard in his own dead ball area. Consider three missed kicks by genius Quade Cooper and you can see why -- despite the scoreline -- things are a lot worse than they look.

The Bulls will still bank on their home run. However, with this year’s competition formatted differently to the past, they will find it tougher to qualify -- especially with away games at Newlands and Kings Park waiting for them inbetween their home games.

What has become clear is that the invincible tag that followed them the past few years is now truly gone. The scrum leaked penalties on Saturday while the lineout is no longer an attacking weapon that opposition fear. In fact, the Reds won their ball with so much ease that you could wonder if their locks are not the more experienced pair.

Apart from that defence was solid for most of the match, but when it broke, it was down right embarrassing for the visitors. Quade Cooper -- who must be the most complete attacking flyhalf of his generation -- was simply superb. Not only did he bamboozle the Bulls defence throughout the game, but the ease at which he scored the first try, dancing through a gaping hole left by Pierre Spies and Victor Matfield, set the trend for the evening.

The Bulls scrambled well at times, and were in the game for most of the match, but it was a telling factor that the Reds found an overlap out wide almost every time the ball was spread that way. That they couldn’t convert their plethora of chances was thanks to deperate defending at times, and their own mistakes more than anything else.

And it is hard to forget, this was the backs to the wall performance. This was the closing of the lager and the “we’ll show them” moment the Bulls were looking for. This was the way they answered all their critics after the Timaru horror show. And as the final whistle blew, it was not even good enough for a bonus point.

http://www.sarugby.net/article.aspx?category=sarugby/super14&id=414044

T

TOCC

Likewise with KEO, prior to the Stormers match they slammed the Reds, the reporters are singing a different tune this week
Reds rock defending chumps
RYAN VREDE reports on a very impressive 39-30 victory for the Reds over a Bulls side that won’t make the play-offs.

This match provided further evidence that the Reds are evolving into a complete side. Certainly they exhibited their ability to play wide, and do so effectively. In this regard it was established that flyhalf Quade Cooper is not only the Reds’ ringmaster, he is also doubles as the sideshow freak who pulls crowds. At times he appeared to have Bulls defenders under a spell, not least of all in scoring his team’s first try and creating their second. His unique and seemingly limitless repertoire of skills was a sight to behold.

However, they also mixed it in the tight with a side who have built their reputation on dominating that facet of play. Add to that an improving tactical kicking game, more precision in good field positions and better temperament than they’ve exhibited in recent seasons, and you have a formidable opponent.

They’ve beaten the best South Africa has to offer in the last fortnight, one of those away from home. Those dismissing their potential to win the tournament do so at their peril.

There were minor improvements in the Bulls’ play. Their physicality at the collisions in defence was a feature of the first half, and that, combined with a Morne Steyn’s goalkicking and a gifted try just before the break kept them in a contest where they had seen just 35% of possession to that point.

However, defensive errors are rarely unpunished at Super Rugby level and those errors can be decisive in the final analysis. That would ring true for the Bulls.

Senior Springboks Victor Matfield and Pierre Spies took a leaf out of the Wynand Olivier Book of Defence, staring at each other as Cooper dummied and simply strolled in on goal early in the match. The duo made many effective tackles in the course of the match, but the one they missed will stick in the memory.

There was more ordinary defence for the second, Radike Samo rounding off a scrappy move. Stephan Dippenaar was showed up for pace by Luke Morahan in the Reds’ third while the fullback rounded off another first phase move for his brace and the four-try bonus point. Getting unlocked from basic set plays is criminal at this level, and hints at deep-rooted structural deficiencies, as well as a low level of synergy and confidence of the players within that structure.

However, the Bulls got an undeserved lifeline when Rod Davies was left lamenting his complacency directly from the kick-off. Bjorn Basson snatched the ball out of the air for an instant rebuttal and Steyn converted to go with two earlier penalties to leave his side trailing 17-13 at the break.

The defending champions had offered little beyond predictable phase play on attack, showing no creativity or innovation and consequently failing to penetrate an aggressive and organised defensive unit. And when they conceded three tries in 15 minutes after the restart you wondered how they were going to respond beyond Steyn’s boot.

Danie Rossouw crashed over to offer some hope. He made a bigger impression in the 20 minutes he was on than Bakkies Botha has in the season to date. There is no argument that coach Frans Ludeke can offer for Botha’s retention in their next match.

Basson crossed for his second late in the match to add some respectability to the scoreline. But the reality is that the Bulls have lost the respect of their opponents. The scoreline flatters them as well. They would have taken 50 if the Reds had been more clinical with their chances, not been so charitable on defence and had Cooper’s excellence extended into this goalkicking.

Their problems transcend technical and structural issues and therefore aren’t remediable in the course of a season. They are a team whose key players are trying in vain to hold back the years and it is reflected in their woeful performances.
http://www.keo.co.za/2011/04/16/reds-vs-bulls-1140-ko-2/

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
The Reds are playing such smart footy. Their defence is a lot more solid this year and they have shown various gameplans for different teams. The attack last night was awesome, love the double round plays and they have players in motion all the time. The Tahs will be a good test as these matches usually turn into a borefest but with the style of play the Reds have going they really should smoke them next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.