• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Force, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Force are a monty this weekend, they've got two blokes from the sporting capital of the western world, Wagga Wagga. How could they possibly lose?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Biffo said:
Bartholomeusz?

Was a BSHS boy. Queensland through and through. Was in the same grade at BSHS as Simon Kasprowicz who was poached by the Tahs; in fact both were in the 1st XV together. Michael Kasprowicz was a few years ahead in both the 1st XV and 1st XI but chose cricket.

In fairness, Sharpe spent a few years at TSS, and got his formal rugby education in Queensland. Actually, someone I work with here in Sydney went to high school with Sharpie at TSS. In terms of rugby, I think Queensland can claim Sharpe just as much as those sporting inbreeds at Wagga Wagga can. But Queensland can not claim Sheehan. But then, I don't think Queensland wants to claim Sheehan.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm, I can seriously see a comfortable Force victory here.

Let's list some reasons:
- Reds have not won a back to back game since 2005(?)
- Force coming off a bye with several injured players returning
- Force have been reemed with injuries and still put in respectable performances
- Reds will be considered favourites by all pundits - and the Reds have typically lost or played poorly in the rare game that they are considered favourite for
- the Force pack has played a hard game around the rucks, hitting rucks and counter rucking aggressively. This is the type of forward game that has upset the Reds in past seasons, and could see the Force with forward dominance
- the Reds have really struggled in most of their games vs the Force since the Force joined the comp

The Force will be desperate for a victory, and the Reds coming off a high from an unexpected win. Link will need to bring the Reds back down to ground and prepare them well for the game. The Force will be underdogs, but I won't be surprised if the Force win.

It will be interesting to see how the Force shuffle their backs with the arrival of Hill. Hill will likely be 10 with J'OC reverting to 15, but I thought Hill looked more effective at 12 whenever he got to play there. I still recall Jackson and Hill fighting for the Chiefs 10 spot and neither putting a real claim on it, but then later Hill being shunted to 12 and looking great.

For the Reds, it's a cliche but Link will need to get the forwards fired up and get them performing so a solid enough platform is laid for the backs. If Ioane and Hynes return and Morahan stays on the wing then the Reds should have the edge in the backs.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Haha, I get nervous before every game they "should" win, but none more so then against the Force.

Reds have now one 2 from 4 games. The 2 they have won have been against opposition higher than them on the table, the two they have lost are opposition that are now lower on the table.

Therefore the Force should throw the game if they hope to finish the season well.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think that the Reds will be more prepared than people think. Van Humphries words 30 seconds after the game and Links rumoured talk in the dressing room seem to suggest an instant refocusing on the Force game

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Roll out the best team the Force have. If the Reds are the real deal, they will have to beat them regardless. I am confident they can. They have a second chance to get the back to back wins bogey off of their backs and I am sure that they would of learnt hard lessons from the Blues loss. Well I hope they have! The Reds look far more proffessional in their attitude this year which bodes well. What scares me is the be aware of the side who has nothing to lose aspect and to be aware of the unknown.

Shapes up to be another 80 minutes of nerves for loyal Reds fans.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
David Hill we be playing 10 for the Force, that will give them some great stability and direction.

They could run out

9 Sheehan
10 Hill
11 Cummins
12 Staniforth
13 Cross
14 Haylett-Petty
15 JOC (James O'Connor)

that ain't bad .................

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would be cautious of saying the Reds are any kind of real deal as yet. They hi-jacked the Chiefs after the Chiefs flew back to NZ, and the Chiefs looked cooked after 30 minutes. They ambushed the Crusaders well and the shell-shocked Crusaders barely even fought back. The Blues were the better team though, despite the Reds leading most of the match. Against the Tahs the Reds were the better team but threw it away at the death as the more experienced and classier Tahs bench rescued a limp Tahs performance.

Reds have improved, but it's not proven a renaissance or turnaround by any means. When a team gets hyped up like the Reds and then faces an injury riddled team with returning players that has something to prove (and is not as bad as people thought they would be after all those injuries to boot) like the Force then you can smell a danger match a mile off.

And that backline that FP put above is plenty good enough to profit off good ball from the forwards - and the forwards from the Force went well enough in their first two games to be a real threat.

T

tranquility

There is plenty of talent in that backline mentioned - but it is a little short on express pace. I am a massive fan of Cummins but he is more of a robust winger. Even with that backline the Reds would still take the cake with backlines on paper.

This is a massive banana skin game for the Reds.

T

TOCC

i think that its a pretty decent looking Force team, they are not much unlike the Reds in terms of there lineup

C

chief

I wonder how many people will be show up at Suncorp on Sunday afternoon to watch? Despite the positive media coverage, I struggle to think they'll eclipse 18,000. Hope to be wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
particularly as 40,000 at least will be there 2 nights before.

I reckon we might sneak over 20k. Well I hope.

R

rugbywhisperer

before attending TSS Sharpie had never played a game of rugby.

C

chief

Noddy said:
particularly as 40,000 at least will be there 2 nights before.

I reckon we might sneak over 20k. Well I hope.

Try 50,000 fairly sure it will sell out.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
This should be a good game, I can see the Reds giving a lot of ball to their outside backs who will speed past the force.

B

brokendown gunfighter

chief said:
I wonder how many people will be show up at Suncorp on Sunday afternoon to watch? Despite the positive media coverage, I struggle to think they'll eclipse 18,000. Hope to be wrong.

there is a dozen or so of us Force fans flying over
that should help bolster the crowd numbers! :)

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
brokendown gunfighter said:
chief said:

there is a dozen or so of us Force fans flying over
that should help bolster the crowd numbers! :)

Up for an ale Gunny?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ash said:
Queensland can not claim Sheehan. But then, I don't think Queensland wants to claim Sheehan.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

One of your best Ash. Well, two of my teams: Joeys and the Rats aren't ashamed to claim him. Not a whole lot.

tranquility said:
This is a massive banana skin game for the Reds.

Yes it is. The Reds were favourites for the Blues game also but clocked off for about 30 minutes when the visitors were better in contact and continuity. The way Ranger played pinball against them to score said a lot about the Reds attitude in that period.

The Reds can get to the finals if they fill in their black holes of mediocrity during their games. 15 mins against the Tahs at the end and the Chiefs at the beginning are the kinds of things that are coach killers whatever the result.

I have a soft spot for the Reds and, not having too many poaching gripes with the Force, have one for the Force as well. But since the Force have no chance for the finals on form, if not on arithmetic, I will be going for the Reds in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.