• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Force, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Scotty said:
I have a sneaking suspicion you are a lunatic.
I'm with Scotty on this one, you have lost your mind Godfrey.

I'm calling for a flogging this weekend though, anything else will be a failure for the reds. Very much looking forward to it.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I have expectations that he Force will win, but I am pretty sure that is false optimism.

The Force should be able to put forward a pretty strong backline if all the players are on form. But Cummins and Staniforth have played just one game this year for team and Hill has yet to wear blue. I guess the other question is where will OConnor play? Id like to see him at fullback - I think Staniforth will offer more at 12 than on the wing.

And the battle up front will be very interesting. The older players of Dunning and Fairbrother up against the up and comers in Daley and Weeks. I think the Force have the edge here, but it could go either way.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Even on paper?
You have to be kidding.
Look at the team sheets the Reds should tear and new one into the Force.

However I will be content with a 1 point win.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Peter Hynes, Luke Morahan, Digby Ioane, Anthony Fainga'a, Brando Va’aulu, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Leroy Houston, Daniel Braid, Scott Higginbotham, Van Humphries, Rob Simmons, Laurie Weeks, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley. Reserves: Sean Hardman, Greg Holmes, Adam Byrnes, Jake Schatz, Ben Lucas, Morgan Turinui, Will Chambers.

interesting they stuck with Vaaulu over Chambers. I think its fair, if you go on last week's performance. Diggers finally into 13 making it a pretty bloody attacking team. Would've been great to have Davies on the wing - would be one of the most elusive back 4 (11,13,14,15) in the comp.

And Simmons into the starting lineup? Link saying its a little bit of a reward for him whilst also giving Byrnes a little bit of a rest.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
With that center combination the wingers will be relying on massive cut out passes from Cooper in order to get the ball. I would not have changed our centre combo, if only for defensive reasons.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
HG said:
Even on paper?
You have to be kidding.
Look at the team sheets the Reds should tear and new one into the Force.

However I will be content with a 1 point win.

Do we have the Force team sheet yet?

Doing a quick count, both teams would have 4-5 international players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah Scotty agreed re no need to change. PArticularly when its only Vaaulu they are keeping in. If Davies was back, maybe, but to effectively drop Morgs for Brando? Can't understand it.

No Force team named yet. apparently:

15 BArto
14 Spanner
13 Cross
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Cummins
10 Overthe
9 Sheehan (who I fear - will really be trying to rough up Will I reckon)
8 Wykes
7 Hodgo
6 MacM
5 Sharpe
4 Hocking
3 Fairbrother
2 Cowan
1 Dunning

Its actually a very good team on paper. You'd suggest they'd have the wood over us in the tight 5 (on paper at least). The centre combination too is very good.

Big question of Hill and Barto for mine, and the backrow (other than Hodgo),

G

Geronimo

It is interesting that the Reds have Ben Lucas on the bench as the only back-up inside back. Hopefully there will not be injuries to both Genia and Cooper, but they are lucky to have someone that can cover both positions. I still believe that in Genia and Lucas they have the best two halves in Aus

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
yeah Scotty agreed re no need to change. PArticularly when its only Vaaulu they are keeping in. If Davies was back, maybe, but to effectively drop Morgs for Brando? Can't understand it.

Yup, I can't understand either. Mouth dropped when I read that. Is Turinuri carrying a niggle or getting a rest? I thought Va'aulu was very average last week and Turinuri has gone well in the opening 3 rounds. I hope McKenzie's not rotating players, as this is a game the Reds could very easily lose to a fired up Force. Only other explanation I can think of is that there's been a call to play Ioane at 13.

I am guessing that Ben Lucas will cover 9/10, Turinuri will cover 12/13, and Fainga'a will cover 10/12, so the inside backs will be covered with some reshuffling required.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can see the only reason is to have Ioane back on the angle putting a lot of pressure on the defense of JOC (James O'Connor) and Hill. I hope it works.

He can try all he likes. I doubt it will do any good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Scotty said:
I can see the only reason is to have Ioane back on the angle putting a lot of pressure on the defense of JOC (James O'Connor) and Hill. I hope it works.

He can try all he likes. I doubt it will do any good.

It will for the Reds.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Heard Bart is out. I would expect:

Dunning
Cowen (rumours that he is injured though and Tyrell will start)
Fairbrother
Hocking
Sharpe
McCalman
Hodgson
Wykes

Sheehan
Hill
Cummins
Spanner
Cross
Haylett-Petty
OConnor

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You could argue that the force are stronger with stanniforth at 12 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 15.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Here she blows - Force team to play the Reds:

Cowan, Hockings and Inman to the bench (Cowan pays the price for being played out of position)

Tyrrell (No 2), Stanford (No8), Haylett-Petty (No 15) and Hill (No 10) in.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, Wykes to the 2nd row.

New temp signing Jono Jenkins (Sydney Uni and Aus 7s flanker) on the bench.

Barty out through injury, Luke Jones drops back out of the squad.

Emirates Western Force v QR QLD Reds

Sunday, 14 March, 2010 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Kick-off: 4.30pm QLD time

Nic Henderson
Ryan Tyrrell
Tim Fairbrother
Sam Wykes
Nathan Sharpe (c)
Ben McCalman
Matt Hodgson
Richard Stanford
Brett Sheehan
David Hill
Nick Cummins
James O’Connor
Ryan Cross
Scott Staniforth
Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves

Pek Cowan
Matt Dunning
Tom Hockings
Jono Jenkins
Chris O’Young
Sam Harris
Mitch Inman

23rd man – Kieran Longbottom

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
More on Jenkins:

RUGBYWA MEDIA release

Friday, 12 March 2010

JENKINS JOINS FORCE

Rising Australian youngster Jono Jenkins has been added to the Emirates Western Force playing squad on a four week injury replacement contract and could make his Super 14 debut on Sunday after being named in the 22 to tackle the Reds at Suncorp Stadium.

Jenkins is a product of the famous Sydney rugby school Riverview and has been a consistent performer for Sydney Uni while he has earned representative honours with the Australian Sevens.

The 23 year old played in NSW alongside current Emirates Western Force players Mitch Inman and Ben McCalman, while his twin brother Ed previously represented the Perth Spirit in the Australian Rugby Championship.

Emirates Western Force General Manager of Rugby, Mitch Hardy, said the tough flanker will give the side additional cover while star backs David Pocock and Richard Brown recover from injury.

“Jono has been recognised for his form through the Sydney club competition. He is a tough, uncompromising number seven who has shown good form with the Australian Sevens and in First Grade,” Hardy said.

“He has signed a four match contract, and he has impressed so far in his time in Perth. Jono likes the tough stuff; he throws himself in boots-and-all, in the Matt Hodgson mould.”

JONO JENKINS

FACT FILE

Position: Flanker

Height: 186cm

Weight: 100kg

DOB: 26/5/1986

Honours: NSW Schoolboys, Australian Schoolboys, Australian U19’s, Australian Sevens

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Ash said:
Noddy said:

Yup, I can't understand either. Mouth dropped when I read that. Is Turinuri carrying a niggle or getting a rest? I thought Va'aulu was very average last week and Turinuri has gone well in the opening 3 rounds. I hope McKenzie's not rotating players, as this is a game the Reds could very easily lose to a fired up Force. Only other explanation I can think of is that there's been a call to play Ioane at 13.

I am guessing that Ben Lucas will cover 9/10, Turinuri will cover 12/13, and Fainga'a will cover 10/12, so the inside backs will be covered with some reshuffling required.
Think Turinui is unlucky to be on the bench, so hope Diggers fires up. Vaalu is a good defender though and that may be the reason for his inclusion. Chambers on the bench is a good call , he still has plenty to learn positionally. As for rotating the locks, probably a smart thing to do. Byrne will certainly be fired up when he gets on the paddock.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Mitch is trying to fuck JOC (James O'Connor) over as much as possible, isn't he?

First he is at fullback, and despite all the calls he almost categorically rules out moving him to 10. Of course the next week he is at 10. Now he is at 12. Way to go, Mitch.

I'm sure Ioane will be hitting his channel pretty hard.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lance Free said:
More on Jenkins: RUGBYWA MEDIA release Friday, 12 March 2010
JENKINS JOINS FORCE

Jenkins is a product of the famous Sydney rugby school Riverview...

WTF? RIVERVIEW? God spare me. I don't know who's worse: Riverview, Cranbrook or Aloy's. For the numbers Riverview have they're crap at rugby. When was their last Wallaby? And the one before that?

A mediocre rugby school at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.