• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds Vs Tahs pre-season trial, Roma 12/02/22 @ 7:30pm

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was only a trial, but I found it hard to take too many positives out of that. Although most of the play was down the far end from me. I thought Spencer Jeans was pretty good, except for bombing the try. Reds didn’t really apply much pressure. They were too slow on the clean out in attack and gave too many penalties in defence.

Really enjoyed being there though and very happy for the organisers that the power came back on and the game went ahead. It’s about the 5th or 6th time I’ve done Roma 7s and they do a fantastic job. Particularly Dave Hickey the main organiser.

Yes and no. It seemed that the Reds had their stronger team on in the second half, Tahs to start. Reds defended down to 13, with JOC (James O'Connor) immediately shifting to a territory kicking game, D picked up and we looked tighter. Don't mind seeing some intelligent rugby across the team adapting to the game. Pity the rugby IQ didn't start earlier of course.

First half started with a swathe of possession to the Tahs, helped in part by a far superior scrum. That scrum difference can not be taken into the comp though not our first front row, possibly not our first second row either. Ruck D wasn't great - was something happening in the lock powerhouse? Stewart did his thing, just awesome in D without the team helping as much as they should.

Daugunu, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Petaia, Fraser and some others really needed that hitout, not their best but hopefully some cobwebs blasted away. Aubrey and Annan look underdone to me, for now.

Second half the scrum was back, Jeans looking more and more Super quality. Grealy needs work but looked to be shifting comfortably toward Super level. Smith looking underdone to me.

I think there was plenty of positives in exactly the way you hope from a trial.

On the other hand, the Tahs are not at all looking like the underdone barely Super quality "also rans" that I was expecting. Well done to Coleman, one swallow before the summer etc but Waratahs can only present where they are when they have the chance. Frankly, even for a trial they showed impressive improvement. Begrudging respect from this Red-eyed fan.

Last edited:

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
What I saw of the game had me worried for the Reds. Just couldn't seem to get clean enough ball or create enough space. We have to score points and lots of them to beat the Kiwi teams.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
What I saw of the game had me worried for the Reds. Just couldn't seem to get clean enough ball or create enough space. We have to score points and lots of them to beat the Kiwi teams.
The Reds’ accuracy at the breakdown was very poor in the first half and were physically bullied my a Tahs pack that appeared determined to prove themselves.
Hard to make space when you are losing the contact battle.
Well done to the Tahs on being up for it , showed great energy and deserved the win.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting take from a few people that Wilson looks underdone (and the video of him spewing).

Not great considering he had a whole injury free pre-season plus extra time at the back end of the year.

He didn’t take me as a player who would have dug his toes in and made a fuss about being dropped from the Wobs squad, but maybe he went a bit funny during silly season and is only just starting to get into the work now. Would be a shame if that’s the case.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting take from a few people that Wilson looks underdone (and the video of him spewing).

Not great considering he had a whole injury free pre-season plus extra time at the back end of the year.

He didn’t take me as a player who would have dug his toes in and made a fuss about being dropped from the Wobs squad, but maybe he went a bit funny during silly season and is only just starting to get into the work now. Would be a shame if that’s the case.
Could have been crook with the rona at some point the the recentish past? Some have longer recoveries. Just a thought, he comes across as a team first man and would be putting the work in.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Seemed to me like he just took on a bit too much fluid at half-time, and his run to the try line was enough to bring it up. As you said, he's had plenty of time to put in the work, so hopefully he's made the most of it

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
They weren’t running on the drinks every stoppage like they do in the regular season. That combined with the fact it was hot and sticky in Roma probably meant Wilson downed too much water at half time to quench the thirst. I actually thought he looked slimmer than in previous years.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Reds’ accuracy at the breakdown was very poor in the first half and were physically bullied my a Tahs pack that appeared determined to prove themselves.
Hard to make space when you are losing the contact battle.
Well done to the Tahs on being up for it , showed great energy and deserved the win.

That's been the most encouraging aspects to the Tahs preseason. There's been a noticeable shift in attitude.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

At the ground I thought Wilson was one of our better forwards. I thought his involvements were good and made a couple of good clean outs where we would have otherwise lost the ball. Seemed to get through more or less his usual volume of work. Not an outstanding game but not bad either. Not too many others in the pack went with him though.

I do really want Blyth to succeed because I like his aggressive nature and I felt like he really stood up for us when Rodda & Hockings left - but I feel he again came up short.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

These few people who think vomiting during a game means you’re unfit have probable never trained that hard to be honest

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
These few people who think vomiting during a game means you’re unfit have probable never trained that hard to be honest

It's interesting - the only times I've ever vomited whilst exercising where when I was at my absolute fittest.

If I tried to exercise to that point now, I would be too unfit to be able to mentally push myself to the physical point of vomiting. You have to be fit enough to not quit before your body literally empties its stomach from exertion.

In highschool the star athlete in our year group would vomit every time after finishing a long distance race. No one thought that meant he was unfit.

Alex Ross (28)
In highschool the star athlete in our year group would vomit every time after finishing a long distance race. No one thought that meant he was unfit.
Did he vomit at the halfway mark though?
No issue with someone hurling at the point of complete exhaustion. You don’t really want to see that from a back rower just after halftime though.