• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds Vs Tahs pre-season trial, Roma 12/02/22 @ 7:30pm

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
So I'm carrying on under the assumption that the Tahs who finished the game were on the outer in the squad. Of those, I think Ramm has made a case for the starting 15. And maybe Williams too.
I think we'll see Edmed getting some runs off the bench too this season.

Did I miss Porecki tonight or is he out injured.. and any update on Will Harrison?... and I've got to assume Tizzano is injured not just in the naughty corner?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Is Petaia on the field? The future Wallaby fullback some experts say?
You can tell the boy has natural talent for days, but I'm not sure if this was a case of overhyping a young player somewhat before he'd grown into it. Similar happened to Mark Nawaqanitawase and there was even less to back that hype. All those injuries didn't help either. I don't know why but he always looks a little unbalanced to me. Something about the way he enters contact always makes me cringe a little. I hope he starts to make the impact we've seen in glimpses.

Alex Ross (28)
And it’s great to see some chippy Tah fans after their pre-season premiership. Congrats on winning the Santos Cup. Just as you did last year.
I think we all know it’s just a trial.
But I also think we all know that Reds fans are still a little bit butthurt over it. So it’s still cause for celebration.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think we all know it’s just a trial.
But I also think we all know that Reds fans are still a little bit butthurt over it. So it’s still cause for celebration.
Disappointed at the Reds' performance, regardless of the opposition. If anything, thankful that that performance came against the tahs, so that the result wasn't a blowout :D

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A trial is a trial, anyone who’s played footy at any level knows the preparation and intensity that goes into them is quite different to Rnd1.

If the Reds show the same attitude and gameplay next week, yes cause to be concerned. With my Red coloured glasses on, Thorn seems to be the kind of coach who knows when to turn on the gas, and when to let things simmer. They’re the SRAU champs for a reason, with a very similar side, so I’m happy to still consider them a much better side than this.

In saying that, the Tahs looked a much improved side and you’d hope that’s the case with the new coach, as the only way was up. I’m looking forward to next week for things to officially get underway.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Quiet, but his touches were good for mine. Solid metres through contact on his couple of carriers, decent cutout that was a good shout for a try if it was held onto, and some good cover defence
Campbell is a great fullback however not in the Wallaby’s vision I don’t think. Petaia IMO hasn’t lived up to his hype. Compared to JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Matty Burke, Gregan and Giteau to name a few at a similar age ... just not in their league.... maybe he will develop with no injuries this year and games where he just does the basics well... hope so.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
A trial is a trial, anyone who’s played footy at any level knows the preparation and intensity that goes into them is quite different to Rnd1.

If the Reds show the same attitude and gameplay next week, yes cause to be concerned. With my Red coloured glasses on, Thorn seems to be the kind of coach who knows when to turn on the gas, and when to let things simmer. They’re the SRAU champs for a reason, with a very similar side, so I’m happy to still consider them a much better side than this.

In saying that, the Tahs looked a much improved side and you’d hope that’s the case with the new coach, as the only way was up. I’m looking forward to next week for things to officially get underway.
The Reds must have switched off when the power went out!

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Tahs won the trial last year also… how’d that go for them
True. But no Reds side I know goes out to lose or coast? Waratahs have a long way to go but attitude looked good and defence better than last year. We want all the Aussie teams firing well to have a crack at beating the bloody gun Kiwi sides!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Everyone is getting all excited about the Tahs winning a couple of trial games against the Reds and Brumbs, but you did lose against the Rebels. Of all the trial games, the Tahs and Drua played pretty much full strength minus 1 or 2 players, so let’s not start running away with the trophy yet. The Reds and Force used the trial to bring in their tier 3 (and 4 - Academy) players who are most likely not even going to see the bench in 2022. Let’s keep this in perspective.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It was only a trial, but I found it hard to take too many positives out of that. Although most of the play was down the far end from me. I thought Spencer Jeans was pretty good, except for bombing the try. Reds didn’t really apply much pressure. They were too slow on the clean out in attack and gave too many penalties in defence.

Really enjoyed being there though and very happy for the organisers that the power came back on and the game went ahead. It’s about the 5th or 6th time I’ve done Roma 7s and they do a fantastic job. Particularly Dave Hickey the main organiser.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It was only a trial, but I found it hard to take too many positives out of that. Although most of the play was down the far end from me. I thought Spencer Jeans was pretty good, except for bombing the try. Reds didn’t really apply much pressure. They were too slow on the clean out in attack and gave too many penalties in defence.

Really enjoyed being there though and very happy for the organisers that the power came back on and the game went ahead. It’s about the 5th or 6th time I’ve done Roma 7s and they do a fantastic job. Particularly Dave Hickey the main organiser.
Thanks for keeping us updated with the outage on the night

Last edited:

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
My big take away from watching the game was man its great to have some rugby to watch again. As the commentors mentioned the win is probably more important for the tahs given their 2021 campaign. Other than that its tough to take much from these trial games as a viewer. They give the coaches a good idea of the areas they need to sharpen before round 1 and give the players a chance to get the motor running, but dont offer a hell of a lot of insight. The two teams took very different approaches to this with the tahs playing two completely seperate teams and the reds instead choosing to get some of the core players 80 mins under their belt.

Also not sure how anyone could be down on Petaias performance. He played the full game without injury, which should be seen as a smashing success

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Fraser Mcreight has a lot of work to do not even close hooper or even gamble
Based on the last two trials I’d say he has a bit of work to do even to start for the Reds.
Defensively not dominant enough in tackle contact or over the ball and wasn’t all that visible on our attacking rucks, which again were poor in the first half. Certainly didn’t have the presence that Gamble had on the game.
Thought our best backrow combination last night was ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Wright/Uru. The work ASY (Angus Scott-Young) does around the ruck really seems to make a difference. Wilson for me looks well short of a gallop.