• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds Vs Tahs pre-season trial, Roma 12/02/22 @ 7:30pm

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We watched it on Youtube last night. The Reds did amazingly well to hold the score down, the Tahs looked all over them in the first half.

I am biased, but I thought Edmed looked very good when he came on. For the Reds, I cannot understand the hype about Flook. Indeed, unless the Reds can get their backline firing they will have a dismal season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Will Harris is a big boy who plays the “big” role. It suits his natural game. As such it has taken a little longer than his fellow u20’s to grow into his size and get up to the required level. Hopefully he’s ready to shine now.
Has all the talent but his challenge is staying healthy, he has missed a lot of rugby through being wounded

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We watched it on Youtube last night. The Reds did amazingly well to hold the score down, the Tahs looked all over them in the first half.

I am biased, but I thought Edmed looked very good when he came on. For the Reds, I cannot understand the hype about Flook. Indeed, unless the Reds can get their backline firing they will have a dismal season.
I don't think may people "hype" Flook. But he has his supporters. Played Premier Grade while still at school, he has ability. I think he's the type of player that just needs consistent time in the team. Not convinced he'll get it just yet.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For the Reds, I cannot understand the hype about Flook. Indeed, unless the Reds can get their backline firing they will have a dismal season.

Can’t understand it because it’s not happening? He earned colt of the year in QPR, there hasn’t being any hyping besides that award

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So after a lunch time watch of the highlights,
Pretty hard to compare, Tahs started with the "a", reds finished with their "a"

Tahs counter ruck and attitude in defence was much better

Tahs backs were doing more pop passes and loops close to the advantage line than I have seen for a while - good defences will be lining up those loopers

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So after a lunch time watch of the highlights,
Pretty hard to compare, Tahs started with the "a", reds finished with their "a"

Tahs counter ruck and attitude in defence was much better

Tahs backs were doing more pop passes and loops close to the advantage line than I have seen for a while - good defences will be lining up those loopers
9 Jeans
10 Campbell / Creighton
11 Grealy
12 Stewart
13 Flook
14 Daugunu
15 Petaia

meh

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Good to see Mafi back and Creighton getting a run. I assume we'll see Petaia shift to 15 at some point but if Vunivalu is out for the start of the season then Petaia's proper transition to 15 might wait until he's back. Also looks like Blyth might have pushed back past Smith as a starting lock, good to see the competition there.
Someone needs to tell Mafi he is part of the tight five and not a winger. Doesn't bring enough of his skills to the game sitting out there

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Also keen to see if they include any Hookers other than Nasser and Blake, this will be the last chance to take a look at any fringe options before the season starts.
There are a couple of prospects in QPR worth looking at.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It occurred to me that we could possibly see an all Tahs backrow this season. Not necessarily my pick incidentally.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Someone needs to tell Mafi he is part of the tight five and not a winger. Doesn't bring enough of his skills to the game sitting out there
It’s obviously the coaching plan for him to play there so it is the coaching staff you’ll need to put a call in to.

For what it’s worth I think he does fine in the wide channels.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
9 Jeans
10 Campbell / Creighton
11 Grealy
12 Stewart
13 Flook
14 Daugunu
15 Petaia

meh

Interesting. RR I have this as the first half, do I have it right?

9 Kalani Thomas
10 James O’Connor
11 Filipo Daugunu
12 Hamish Stewart
13 Josh Flook
14 Jordan Petaia
15 Jock Campbell

Ignoring Daugunu swapping wings, which I don't think that happened, Reg, your post is excellent. I too thought our A team was in the second half. Clearly not.

My head is spinning trying to pull this together, but I'm now definitely less happy with our first half than I was already.