• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 14: Brumbies v Rebels Fri 24th 7.35PM @ GIO STADIUM

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to admit only watched the first part of game (late here in NZ for old timers etc) but getting up this morning and seeing final score, I can't say I was overly surprised.
It was almost like one team's players had been in a meeting with governing body suggesting they pick where else they wnt to go next year , as they won't be playing for the same team?

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I think that’s maybe the best game I’ve seen Brown play. He’s always been there or there about but he was immense in attack and defence last night.

If he keeps that form up into the finals could he potentially be a Smokey bolter for the wallabies? Not saying he’d take McReights spot but he’s versatile across all back row positions and jumps in the lineout.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I think that’s maybe the best game I’ve seen Brown play. He’s always been there or there about but he was immense in attack and defence last night.

If he keeps that form up into the finals could he potentially be a Smokey bolter for the wallabies? Not saying he’d take McReights spot but he’s versatile across all back row positions and jumps in the lineout.
Not sure he is eligible. He has been in Canberra a while but I think he went back to New Zealand during Covid.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure he is eligible. He has been in Canberra a while but I think he went back to New Zealand during Covid.
I have him becoming eligible in March of this year. Not sure about a return to New Zealand during Covid, but I don't think he played anywhere over there and he hasn't missed a brumbies season, so there's a good chance any trip back was not long enough to reset that eligibility.

That said, whether or not he's eligible he'd need to do a hell of a lot more in the remaining games this season to be in the conversation, he has nowhere near the established form and "body of work" of the other backrow contenders. Even amongst the Brumbies players I'd have Reimer and Scott ahead of him on this season's form.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I have him becoming eligible in March of this year. Not sure about a return to New Zealand during Covid, but I don't think he played anywhere over there and he hasn't missed a brumbies season, so there's a good chance any trip back was not long enough to reset that eligibility.

That said, whether or not he's eligible he'd need to do a hell of a lot more in the remaining games this season to be in the conversation, he has nowhere near the established form and "body of work" of the other backrow contenders. Even amongst the Brumbies players I'd have Reimer and Scott ahead of him on this season's form.
Remier is the best bench 7 in Oz if you carry one. Lol supposedly calls himself the match winner

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Remier is the best bench 7 in Oz if you carry one. Lol supposedly calls himself the match winner
I'm not sure if I'd be running a straight 7 on the bench for the Wallabies too often, but I think he's most ready to make the step up of the uncapped options. He doesn't have as complete a game as the others, but his pilfering is at that international level so you can throw him in and let him focus on that aspect of the game while he finds his feet. I'd still have him behind Wright and probably Wilkin as the back ups in the squad though, there's a lot more room to get either of those guys game time and have them contribute while McReight has the starting 7 jersey nailed down.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
We never saw a head-on / close up replay of it did we? A bit hard to speculate until then. It doesn't look great though.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't watch the game, was it quite bad?
He lined Swain up from 5m away at full speed. He hit him shoulder to shoulder, no bind, left his feet, and joined the ruck in from the side to do it.

There wasn't head contact as far as I could see, but it was definitely dangerous, and well worth a citing and a couple of weeks off.

Tupou did 3 or 4 of these in his time on the pitch. Anyone one of these could have ended up as a red with the slightest movement the wrong way by his opposition - he is liability to the team at the moment

Edit - cited under this law.

1716771244913.png

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Ah, I've just seen the citation is for charging in, not the contact itself. Pretty clear cut.

Tupou did 3 or 4 of these in his time on the pitch. Anyone one of these could have ended up as a red with the slightest movement the wrong way by his opposition - he is liability to the team at the moment
I definitely recall two, but not sure there were more? Regardless, he has a history of doing so and really needs to be smarter about it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought it was probably worth a yellow at the time with no head/shoulder/neck contact. The laws are the laws though, appropriate he's been picked up on it.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
When I saw it live I winced. The ref called time just after and I thought he was off for sure but the ref punished the Brumbies for another incident instead. Maybe that was a distraction at the time.

I didn't see the other ones that people are calling out but maybe because my head spent so much time in my hands in frustration at our play

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Think that's pretty likely. Start at a low entry because there's no head contact. He's got a fairly good record, so halve it for saying sorry and wearing his suit = 1 week suspension
I thought he's had the opposite - he used to charge in like that all the time at the Reds & it used to shit me.

So unnecessary and lazy technique