• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Hurricanes v Waratahs, Friday 17th March

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Waratahs were beaten by the better team but yeah as the comments on this forum suggest, the refereeing bias was ridiculous. it was nice to see 12 phases of rugby being played at one point though.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Despite what some other posters have said I'm certainly not writing off Hooper and I didn't actually think he was that bad. Created a number of turnovers. Will have to re-watch the game

I'm definitely not writing him off. It just doesn't appear that his head or heart is in it at the moment. I think whatever the root issue that saw him take leave last year has had a significant impact on his personal being that is still having an impact. If that is the case I would prefer him to take more time away to sort things out as footy is in the grand scheme of things a relatively short lived experience but your health physically, emotionally or mentally are far longer lasting and are important to get under control. This is something I've learned from experience. Get that sorted and I still think he has a lot to offer in the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I swear you dont actually watch the games. The Tahs were the very definition of easy.
I didn't think it was that easy, I saw a game where the Canes had to work pretty hard to get on top, then put Tahs away with a 10-15 minute burst. Canes made a few mistakes too, and why game wasn't easy. Perhaps I enjoy games and look at positives a bit more than others, so shoot me mate, thats why I go to and watch rugby, for the enjoyment!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I liked the hooker and thought most of the backs looked OK pack was the issue. Hooper was invisible - is his day done?
I actually thought Hooper wasn't that bad, Canes looked to be marking up, but I thought he played an ok game, mind you I think 7s (good ones anyway) tend to do a hell of a lot of graft that you have to watch for them to notice. There is a reason that Eddie Jones was saying you have to be at games to see the value of some players, I think Hooper is that kind of player.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will add did Stan show the aftermatch interviews etc? Thought they were good, and was bloody interested hearing Darren Coleman talking with Goldie Wilson and TJ Perenara etc , they actually discussed what was going wrong etc properly. DC was saying one of things Tahs were getting wrong was attcking phases, said he would need to look some more and decide if problem was the breakdown themselves or the position/passing of players before etc. We tend to have a panel over here especially on deby matches where they just cheer squads or trying to be smart arses (well just maybe me being a grumpy old shit) , but I really enjoyed dissecting the game a bit!

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Anyway - I'm going to start making one positive post per thread and here it is:

Cam Roigard was in my fantasy team and scored two fucken tries so that's ace.
How about posting positive comments then we won’t have to gloss over your NFI negative drivel.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am sure he will retire from Aussie rugby after RWC and off to Japan or somewhere else but I think Japan will suit him.
I don't think he will go to the World Cup. I cant see how the issues he was having last year will be any better under a coach like Jones where I would imagine the pressure is increased. There are other in form options available for the Wallabies if they go down that path, he is still an exceptionally good player, but not where he once was. (next week he will probably be man of the match)

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Finally I watched the full game. The same old story. Facing the Kiwis you have to create a perfect attack with 50 phases to score in the corner and then, they got the ball, their halfback pass the ball to their first-five eight, he pass the ball to the inside centre, he runs 15 metres and is a f*cking try under the posts. Then again, you play 80 phases, they intercept the ball and is another try.

It was a good contest for some time. Our msin issue, individual errors in keys moments

Some observations:

1- The first rolling maul at 5 minutes. What a st*pid way to waste a golden opportunity

2- Our set-pieces were disastrous

3- Donaldson couldn't stop the Canes halfback in their first try

4- Naholo try at 55 min, too many missed tackles. By Hooper, Nadolo and others

5- Donaldson missed a conversion in front of the post at the end :shock:

6- Jorgensen > Sua'ali'i

Marce

John Thornett (49)
That's a big call. Sua'ali'i has a pretty good vertical leap, he might be ahead there. I would like to have both of them playing for the Tahs.
We have to support the guy who plays our code lol. I am a Roosters supporter TBH but rugby has always been my first love

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it will be interesting when Harrison is fit. You'd think Jorganson has nailed 15 for now. Could be a log jam for 10. Edmed could be on the outer because of his lack of versatility
Harrison at 10 and Jorgensen at 15. Donaldson lost his position at 10 tonight.

I don't think Donaldson had a game he will look back on as representing his best, but I also feel like on here (and many places you find rugby chat) people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances. That game had a number of issues that were not to do with just Donaldson.

Donaldson has so far this season been swapped to Fullback and played most of it there, played last season I believe about 12 games, started about 8, I don't believe all at Flyhalf with Tane getting a decent chunk of time. I can see how this performance could have resulted. How for a young aspirational flyhalf who found himself in the Wallabies, this could be playing on his mind even. I don't personally think Donaldson was ever the best natural flyhalf, that was always Harrison for me, but he is still better than this.

We saw the same with Gordon Carter not performing last year in his 13 appearances, which at least I believe were mainly at flyhalf and then this year getting a starting run to really find his form. Our players get so little time to find themselves compared to some of the other competitions around the world. Add in chopping and changing and I'm not sure how we ever expect them to truely grow in certain roles. I mean I get it, it's a short season and a results business, but still.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Thought Perese put in a good shift
He seems to be playing himself back into some form. Still not there, but definitely an improvement which is nice to see. I can appreciate him needed time to get comfortable after his injury, so it's nice that he hasn't plateaued.

Last edited:

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think Donaldson had a game he will look back on as representing his best, but I also feel like on here (and many places you find rugby chat) people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances. That game had a number of issues that were not to do with just Donaldson.

Donaldson has so far this season been swapped to Fullback and played most of it there, played last season I believe about 12 games, started about 8, I don't believe all at Flyhalf with Tane getting a decent chunk of time. I can see how this performance could have resulted. How for a young aspirational flyhalf who found himself in the Wallabies, this could be playing on his mind even. I don't personally think Donaldson was ever the best natural flyhalf, that was always Harrison for me, but he is still better than this.

We saw the same with Gordon Carter not performing last year in his 13 appearances, which at least I believe were mainly at flyhalf and then this year getting a starting run to really find his form. Our players get so little time to find themselves compared to some of the other competitions around the world. Add in chopping and changing and I'm not sure how we ever expect them to truely grow in certain roles. I mean I get it, it's a short season and a results business, but still.
Righto, give him another chance at 10. There is no guarantee that Harrison will come back in any better form. Donaldson shows more qualities than Edmed.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
DC is doing no favours to both Donaldson / Edmed staking their rugby World Cup claims with the constant changing at 10.

DC has got to do what’s best for Waratahs but I bet the idea of going to France at end of year is being second questioned by Donaldson / Edmed where they need to string the games together to build the case… maybe it’s best one of those 2 flyhalfs leaves the Tahs and goes to a franchise where they can stake their own claim

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Righto, give him another chance at 10. There is no guarantee that Harrison will come back in any better form. Donaldson shows more qualities than Edmed.
I think the coaches will need to. Tane was given three games to show his potential. I thought he was found a little wanting in the first game especially. I don't see Harrison slotting in after all this time out. If anything you can see him coming off the bench as a utility upon his return.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
DC is doing no favours to both Donaldson / Edmed staking their rugby World Cup claims with the constant changing at 10.

DC has got to do what’s best for Waratahs but I bet the idea of going to France at end of year is being second questioned by Donaldson / Edmed where they need to string the games together to build the case… maybe it’s best one of those 2 flyhalfs leaves the Tahs and goes to a franchise where they can stake their own claim
For DC, his issue has been the Fullback situation and the loss of Beale who was likely his starter there, but provided utility in other areas .This is compounded by the inability due to the nature of this situation to bring in another player. He will have to player manage Donaldson who has stated on a number of occasions that flyhalf is his preferred role. I think the mental aspect of our player's game is so much bigger than is often appreciated by some.

I think for example Lolesio is looking like he is in a better headspace this season which is really positive for Australian Rugby.

Last edited: