• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Hurricanes v Waratahs, Friday 17th March

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Langi Gleeson is a monster. I expect he will keep Harry Wilson out of the Wallabies.

Id be interested to hear from some more familiar with forward work if he contributes significantly to the less glamorous stuff.
Couple of pretty poorcdefensive moments wider out, which is an issue for a top level 8. Contact work in tighter is pretty good, heavy shoulders (how big is he actually?)

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Also ESPN stats had tahs lineout at 14/18. Granted a couple were sloppy but Vainu threw quite well for most of the time with a bad period around half time, in dreadful conditions. He is very busy and excellent over the ball. Scrum had a mixed day but his props arent world beaters (HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) has been shafted moving to TH). Thought that was an encouraging display. Tolu doesn't look interested at the moment.

The Hooper bagging needs to calm down. One bad miss after Gleeson for a try but very busy as always and stepped up a gear when they were chasing the game. At his age (in rugby years) he shouldnt be aiming for 10/10 every week, he's looking fine.

Donaldson needs time, perese impressive at constantly getting gainline from nothing in attack but some smell about his d.

Tahs attack looks to have simplified a bit from last year, to their detriment

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
“people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances”

A forum like this has some great rugby analysis and thoughtful opinions… however too often, as you say ‘Sideline critics‘ waffle on with absolute baloney, negative bulls..t and player assassinations after they play one bad game. Swap him for player x and it will all be perfect!
How many times has Hooper been criticised on here? I mean you don’t play over 100 tests if you are a poor rugby player. Lucky coaches don’t wade through all this ‘rugby knowledge’ for tips!! Then we would be in strife!
I think people are prone to see certain elements of players game and/or lack a lot of the necessary insight at times to see the entire sum. Hooper has always categorically been one of the most consistently high performing players in Australian Rugby. The swings from his lows to highs are so much less than most players.

I also take the view that with selections, that the coaches know a heck of a lot more than we do and for us to armchair select one player over the other is a little arrogant. We have so little insight as to what else might be going on. The niggles and injuries players are carrying. The dimensions of their life which might impact them (young families, relationship issues etc..etc), the demonstrated execution of skill in training and ability to follow a plan or play as part of a team, the dynamics of players with each other, the long term rotational plans to ensure adequet rest across a season so players don't burn out... etc...

I found it interesting on the most recent Eddie Jones podcast he was mentioning about Data Analytics and Sports Psychology being the two big growth areas for professional sport teams, which seems pretty obvious and self evident when you see time and again, teams with a similar selection of players performing wildly different at different times. The chemistry of any team is such an interesting element of sport in particular.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon Eddie will take Quade, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), and Lolesio. I really don't think either Edmed or Donaldson is at Test match standard.
Gordon will be in the top 3.
I think Quade, JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio are all in contention. Quade needs to show where he is at with his injury, JOC (James O'Connor) needs to back up that positive glimpse we got to see last game and Lolesio needs to continue to show some evolution of his game.

But I agree, Gordon has to be in the frame too. He's shown the most growth and potential when compared to last year.

Truthfully, it's exciting to have some options and healthy competition is always good. (and I don't think Donaldson and/or Tane are totally out of consideration. Still a lot of the season to go yet).

Last edited:

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Quade, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lolesio are all in contention. Quade needs to show where he is at with his injury, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) needs to back up that positive glimpse we got to see last game and Lolesio needs to continue to show some evolution of his game.

But I agree, Gordon has to be in the frame too. He's shown the most growth and potential when compared to last year.

Truthfully, it's exciting to have some options and healthy competition is always good. (and I don't think Donaldson and/or Tane are totally out of consideration. Still a lot of the season to go yet).
Jack D is playing a better 25 mins than Lolesio 55 mins tonight. What do you see in Noah? I’m not being a smart arse, I just don’t see what he offers.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’ll concede that it’s appropriate that all Wallabies selection discussions be filtered through Waratahs channels......however I did actually think I was on a different thread here at the end.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is funny, the Tahs started off quite well, the structures were functional and effective at everything but for the last 10m.

We could only score one team try all game and two "good luck" tries - what started out promising ended up quite a rout that flattered us

We seemed to react so slowly to any opportunity, the metaphor I think of is those drills done at half pace where everyone knows their place and being in place is more important then real efforts

I agree about Gordon, he just looks slow to get to a phase and Hooper looks to be going through the motions

I am off the watch them play the best side in the comp this week, they could lose by a 1000

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
We look so much better utilizing the short passing game. We just seem to drop the tactic at some stage. Revert to one out running and out the back plays off slow ball.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Imagine him playing for the Brumbies you would be leading the super rugby comp. Prefer he was still in qld though.
Well, they’re 4 from 4 and only behind the Chiefs on bonus points so it’s not like they’re much off the pace.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Jack D is playing a better 25 mins than Lolesio 55 mins tonight. What do you see in Noah? I’m not being a smart arse, I just don’t see what he offers.
Fair. I’m not sure it was Noah’s best game, that said I’m not sure Debreczeni was categorically better. A starter v finisher comparison is always tricky. The dynamic of White at 9 also changes the shape of the Brumbies. I think this question is probably better in another thread though