• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4: Hurricanes v Waratahs, Friday 17th March

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think Donaldson had a game he will look back on as representing his best, but I also feel like on here (and many places you find rugby chat) people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances. That game had a number of issues that were not to do with just Donaldson.

Donaldson has so far this season been swapped to Fullback and played most of it there, played last season I believe about 12 games, started about 8, I don't believe all at Flyhalf with Tane getting a decent chunk of time. I can see how this performance could have resulted. How for a young aspirational flyhalf who found himself in the Wallabies, this could be playing on his mind even. I don't personally think Donaldson was ever the best natural flyhalf, that was always Harrison for me, but he is still better than this.

We saw the same with Gordon Carter not performing last year in his 13 appearances, which at least I believe were mainly at flyhalf and then this year getting a starting run to really find his form. Our players get so little time to find themselves compared to some of the other competitions around the world. Add in chopping and changing and I'm not sure how we ever expect them to truely grow in certain roles. I mean I get it, it's a short season and a results business, but still.
Good thoughtful response.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think Donaldson had a game he will look back on as representing his best, but I also feel like on here (and many places you find rugby chat) people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances. That game had a number of issues that were not to do with just Donaldson.

Donaldson has so far this season been swapped to Fullback and played most of it there, played last season I believe about 12 games, started about 8, I don't believe all at Flyhalf with Tane getting a decent chunk of time. I can see how this performance could have resulted. How for a young aspirational flyhalf who found himself in the Wallabies, this could be playing on his mind even. I don't personally think Donaldson was ever the best natural flyhalf, that was always Harrison for me, but he is still better than this.

We saw the same with Gordon Carter not performing last year in his 13 appearances, which at least I believe were mainly at flyhalf and then this year getting a starting run to really find his form. Our players get so little time to find themselves compared to some of the other competitions around the world. Add in chopping and changing and I'm not sure how we ever expect them to truely grow in certain roles. I mean I get it, it's a short season and a results business, but still.
“people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances”

A forum like this has some great rugby analysis and thoughtful opinions… however too often, as you say ‘Sideline critics‘ waffle on with absolute baloney, negative bulls..t and player assassinations after they play one bad game. Swap him for player x and it will all be perfect!
How many times has Hooper been criticised on here? I mean you don’t play over 100 tests if you are a poor rugby player. Lucky coaches don’t wade through all this ‘rugby knowledge’ for tips!! Then we would be in strife!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon Eddie will take Quade, JOC (James O'Connor), and Lolesio. I really don't think either Edmed or Donaldson is at Test match standard.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
“people think a player swap is the magic solution for all poor performances”

A forum like this has some great rugby analysis and thoughtful opinions… however too often, as you say ‘Sideline critics‘ waffle on with absolute baloney, negative bulls..t and player assassinations after they play one bad game. Swap him for player x and it will all be perfect!
How many times has Hooper been criticised on here? I mean you don’t play over 100 tests if you are a poor rugby player. Lucky coaches don’t wade through all this ‘rugby knowledge’ for tips!! Then we would be in strife!
It is incontrovertible that Hooper is close to the end of his career as a Wallaby. He has been a wonderful player and leader, but I think his day is nearly done.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

No, not a great game from Donaldson but tough shifting forward from 15 into that. He was done no favours by Gordon and I think that's the bigger problem for the tahs right now - if Gordon can't find his form it's going to be an uphill battle for any of the 10s to find theirs.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
It is incontrovertible that Hooper is close to the end of his career as a Wallaby. He has been a wonderful player and leader, but I think his day is nearly done.
I think you maybe right. Although he could go to Japan for 2024 and reassess another tilt for a chance to play against the British Lions in 2025.
Either way he has been an absolute champion.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I reckon Eddie will take Quade, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), and Lolesio. I really don't think either Edmed or Donaldson is at Test match standard.
That is what I suspect will happen too although we will be placing our trust in two older injury prone so called mesiahs… Cooper still gives me worry against quality opponents like the ABs… at his best though he is fantastic. I always live in hope.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That is what I suspect will happen too although we will be placing our trust in two older injury prone so called mesiahs… Cooper still gives me worry against quality opponents like the ABs… at his best though he is fantastic. I always live in hope.
I suppose I should have mentioned Carter Gordon, if continues to shoot out the lights, he could supplant one of those three.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How about posting positive comments then we won’t have to gloss over your NFI negative drivel.
You are just salty i was right about your boy Donaldson. Its not a character assassination to observe that he isnt nearly good enough to be a starting flyhalf for a Super Rugby team.

What does he offer? Granted he (usually) has a pretty good kicking game. But other than that he doesnt seem to offer anything.

He hasnt got much of a passing game. Hes willing to run into contact which is commendable but hes far from an attacking threat in that regard. Its not a high priority for a FH but his defence is poor. He cant (though he might still learn) how to marshal an attack.

Harrison cant come back soon enough IMO.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Langi Gleeson is a monster. I expect he will keep Harry Wilson out of the Wallabies.

Id be interested to hear from some more familiar with forward work if he contributes significantly to the less glamorous stuff.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
You are just salty i was right about your boy Donaldson. Its not a character assassination to observe that he isnt nearly good enough to be a starting flyhalf for a Super Rugby team.

What does he offer? Granted he (usually) has a pretty good kicking game. But other than that he doesnt seem to offer anything.

He hasnt got much of a passing game. Hes willing to run into contact which is commendable but hes far from an attacking threat in that regard. Its not a high priority for a FH but his defence is poor. He cant (though he might still learn) how to marshal an attack.

Harrison cant come back soon enough IMO.
Your boy Harrison!
You just crap on with complete negative bulls..t. Lucky you’re not a coach.
Drivel on .

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Langi Gleeson is a monster. I expect he will keep Harry Wilson out of the Wallabies.

Id be interested to hear from some more familiar with forward work if he contributes significantly to the less glamorous stuff.
100% agree. He was outstanding. Really the only Tahs player to step up to the level. Becoming irresistible for the RWC. A Gleeson, Valentini 6/8 combo is pretty scary.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
100% agree. He was outstanding. Really the only Tahs player to step up to the level. Becoming irresistible for the RWC. A Gleeson, Valentini 6/8 combo is pretty scary.
People are concerned about the lineout, particularly if Skelton starts. Se we'd need to have some combination of something like this:

4. Frost
5. Swain/Neville
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Gleeson

19. Skelton
20. Holloway/Wilson/Hanigan

The alternative is to start Skelton at 5 with one of Swain or Neville on the bench and one of the blokes in the 20 jersey starting with perhaps Valetini at 8 and Gleeson on the bench. There are a number of combinations there that are mouth watering. Ned is no doubt the most expendable/unlikely name there.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
High Mistakes
Low Cohesion
Poor Discipline

Second year syndrome coming in to bite DC. We've had some injuries but jeez the senior starters had some poor games.

Gleeson and Jorgensen are fantastic tho.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

think Harry Wilson could push for the backup backrower option from the bench. Coming off the bench on with his best mate McReight. (Replacing the 6 & 7 tahs combo)

but I suspect starting options (based on 3 or 4 weeks of super rugby)

6 Gleeson
7 Hooper
8 Valentini

Gleeson no try last week versus Rebs and the intercept yesterday were freakish. It’s the same type of X factor running player that Wilson is as well.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I don't see Harrison slotting in after all this time out. If anything you can see him coming off the bench as a utility upon his return.
If he's fit enough and with good rhythm he could play at 15, Marky at 14 and Jorgensen at 11

Marce

John Thornett (49)
For DC, his issue has been the Fullback situation and the loss of Beale who was likely his starter there, but provided utility in other areas .This is compounded by the inability due to the nature of this situation to bring in another player. He will have to player manage Donaldson who has stated on a number of occasions that flyhalf is his preferred role. I think the mental aspect of our player's game is so much bigger than is often appreciated by some.
Due Beale's gate now we can see how good can be Jorgensen at Super Rugby level. The real issue is Pietsch's injured cause Nadolo can't last 80 minutes. I prefer to have Pietsch and Harrison available before Beale

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm definitely not writing him off. It just doesn't appear that his head or heart is in it at the moment. I think whatever the root issue that saw him take leave last year has had a significant impact on his personal being that is still having an impact. If that is the case I would prefer him to take more time away to sort things out as footy is in the grand scheme of things a relatively short lived experience but your health physically, emotionally or mentally are far longer lasting and are important to get under control. This is something I've learned from experience. Get that sorted and I still think he has a lot to offer in the game.
Could it be the old saying ' You can't win world boxing titles by sleeping on silk sheets?'. In terms of skill set nothing has changed but the top 2" can and does change everything.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I don't think he will go to the World Cup. I cant see how the issues he was having last year will be any better under a coach like Jones where I would imagine the pressure is increased. There are other in form options available for the Wallabies if they go down that path, he is still an exceptionally good player, but not where he once was. (next week he will probably be man of the match)
How many times we heard that he's done and after that all the WBs coaches picked him again and again. He deserves a call for his career and cause I can't name 3 openside flankers better than him at Super Rugby level. In the worst case he could be an impact player an Fraser McReight the starter 7

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon Eddie will take Quade, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), and Lolesio. I really don't think either Edmed or Donaldson is at Test match standard.
I suspect by the end of this season Harrison will be the 10 and might be pushing Lolesio for your 3rd spot.