• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There was an article in today's Hurled asserting that Manenti will have wider responsibilities that just running the Men's Sevens. He will also be looking for talent for the squad in both club and provincial teams. He has had a lot of Shute Shield experience. Manenti is not in it for the money, incidentally, he is part of a family business,

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
On their return from Spain they'll only have to isolate at home for a week & return a negative test before getting out.

Edit: home isolation doesn't start til mid-Feb so if they come straight home it'll be ten days in MIQ. Rather than waste that prep time, I wonder if the men might head to Canada instead.

I reckon that would pretty much rule out Samoa as well then.

Give an invitation to Germany & Portugal for the mens & Scotland for the girls hopefully.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ AFAIK Samoa's borders are closed so they'd have to either be all based offshore or become nomads. The fact WR (World Rugby) has issued a draw with NZ & Samoa in it suggests someone's got something planned.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There was an article in today's Hurled asserting that Manenti will have wider responsibilities that just running the Men's Sevens. He will also be looking for talent for the squad in both club and provincial teams. He has had a lot of Shute Shield experience. Manenti is not in it for the money, incidentally, he is part of a family business,

Not being a cynic, but wasnt talent identification part of the role prior to the change anyway, it’s not a new responsibility.

I do feel a bit sorry for him, hard role to inherit a gold medal team like he did and improve it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not being a cynic, but wasnt talent identification part of the role prior to the change anyway, it’s not a new responsibility.

I do feel a bit sorry for him, hard role to inherit a gold medal team like he did and improve it.
I think it was Wayne Bennett who said: "there are two kinds of coaches: those who have been sacked, and those who are waiting to be sacked".

Don't feel sorry for him, he has a pretty full rugby involvement, including with Eastwood.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
RSA do have a women's sevens team. They qualified for the Tokyo Olympics via the African regional championship.

However, their committee declined the opportunity and let the next best continental place-getter advance instead.

A technical reason trotted out is South Africa only likes to back "A-level" qualifiers. Perhaps they'd have to be top 4 on the World Series to get the nod.

I think Members is partly correct, though. The country doesn't particularly support women's rugby.

In saying that, the saffas are hosting the 7s world cup. Their men and women will compete as tournament hosts.

Last edited:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Warren Ryan from the old Western Suburbs Magpies.
I remember he coached Newtown. I also remember him as the only rugby league commentator who could make the game interesting. I did a fair bit of driving on weekends way back when, and I was always happy to listen to his call.

He had a famous longstanding feud with Roy Masters.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
....he coached Newtown.....
And Canterbury, Balmain, Western Suburbs and Newcastle. Pioneered the umbrella defence arrangement.

Balmain stupidly dispensed with Ryan's services in a rush to take on The Parrot in his only stint coaching league. Madness.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ not really, at this stage it's only MIQ-free travel from Aus that's affected (now from late Feb rather than mid-Jan). We'll have to see what knock-on effects there might be.

Edit: it does mean they'll have to get tested within 48 hours of departing rather than 72 & spend the full 10 days in MIQ rather than 7 then 3 at home.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This from a News Ltd article about increased funding for Olympic sports.

“The women’s rugby 7s program will receive $2.5 million per year, an increase of 39%”

That’s a fairly healthy increase for RA (not sure what the men get). Considering big name contracted players such as Green, Tonegato, Parry etc aren’t there anymore, they’ve got some extra money to spend.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

“The women’s rugby 7s program will receive $2.5 million per year, an increase of 39%”

That’s a fairly healthy increase for RA (not sure what the men get). Considering big name contracted players such as Green, Tonegato, Parry etc aren’t there anymore, they’ve got some extra money to spend.

That's a really good outcome for the program and a reflection of their value. I really wish RA could come up with something that was commercially valuable built around women's Rugby. The Aon 7s is good but these girls are probably our most marketable group of players and deserve to be provided with every opportunity to demonstrate their ability and build their profile. Would love to see a Professional Womens 7s circuit and a double round robin SuperW with those girls compensated for their efforts as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

This is why Olympic 7s is critical to the game in Australia, im not sure if there’s conditions associated to that money though, maybe a percentage can be spent on athlete wages and a percentage has to be spent on development pathways.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is why Olympic 7s is critical to the game in Australia, im not sure if there’s conditions associated to that money though, maybe a percentage can be spent on athlete wages and a percentage has to be spent on development pathways.

yep, I think you are right. Definitely a High Performance percentage but surely a pathways portion as well.