• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
1700622405476.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Got to have a chat to Shannon Parry today who is coaching Youth / pathway 7s girls / womens teams. She said the Broncos are now signing 15 year old girls. She just can't compete. She's putting them through high performance programs (thanks heaps to the QAS) and then the Broncos just pop up this last few weeks and say, heres a few thousand each. You're a Bronco now

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not surprising in the slightest. Been happening with the boys for 30 years. Cheaper to get them at that stage than post Olympics if they got that far.

Broncos lose a 20k on girls that don’t pan out… who cares if we get 1,2 starters. Broncos also have the Titans on the block now and the NRL will want the Dolphins in the NRLW asap.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'd always hoped it was a simple character test, easy or hard option. Unfortunately - even in women's rugby where 7s has been a more compelling pathway for so long - the $ talks.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s a career choice. Making the Aussie 7s side would be really hard.

How many Full time jobs are there in League compared to Rugby especially for the Women. We have neglected it terribly. Sure the money isn’t life changing in the NRLW but it’s a lot more than what the Rugby (not 7s) but they only have so many positions.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd always hoped it was a simple character test, easy or hard option. Unfortunately - even in women's rugby where 7s has been a more compelling pathway for so long - the $ talks.
I think that’s a bit of a cop out to suggest that these girls are taking the easy option. It’s about having the actual opportunity to be professional athletes doing something they love as a career, and at the end of the day, one sporting body is offering more opportunities and putting money where it’s mouth is and the other isn’t.

Desmond

Banned
Junior Girls Rugby 7s is so poorly run compared to NRL Girls. Its not the money its more pathway opportunities and a better run game. There is never cash handed out either valued items like Gym membership, S & C program, elite coaching, player mentoring etc. A lot of great rugby girls get overlooked in Rugby for the so called elite players who everyone new would go to NRL except the selectors. Its critical to select more than just on skill as Rugby dosn't have the resources to develop the wrong girls.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
10 years ago when I was more closely involved with the game and some women's 7s pathways stuff, we definitely had the jump on the league in terms of girls engagement with the sport.

The whole system probably went to a sleep a bit after being so dominant in the early days and now it's finally realising they've missed the boat.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think that’s a bit of a cop out to suggest that these girls are taking the easy option. It’s about having the actual opportunity to be professional athletes doing something they love as a career, and at the end of the day, one sporting body is offering more opportunities and putting money where it’s mouth is and the other isn’t.
Yeh I think a lot of people forget this. The want to be a professional overrides the want to perform in a specific sport.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australia Women’s Sevens team for Dubai SVNS:
2. Sharni Smale
3. Faith Nathan
4. Dominique Du Toit
5. Teagan Levi
6. Madison Ashby
7. Charlotte Caslick (C)
8. Kaitlin Shave*
11. Demi Hayes