• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2021

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wondering what changes for this week, whats the chances of a Chiefs' backline 9-13? Weber, DMac, Taipea and ALB with maybe Bridge and Jordan on wings. Can see Akira getting a break before the Boks too. Think they will try and rest a few players anyway.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Plumtree did the media stand-up today & said that Ofa, De Groot, Taylor, Pat T & ASav are all expected to be available for selection this week & presumably all of them will be in the 23. Beaugan downplayed his calf issue but I doubt they'll risk him as he'll have to start both the SA matches (RMo only gets out of MIQ four days before the second one).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Plumtree did the media stand-up today & said that Ofa, De Groot, Taylor, Pat T & ASav are all expected to be available for selection this week & presumably all of them will be in the 23. Beaugan downplayed his calf issue but I doubt they'll risk him as he'll have to start both the SA matches (RMo only gets out of MIQ four days before the second one).
Yep and would pay to give DMac a decent run at 10, just in case.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ASmith to skip the rest of TRC:

Edit: there's now a stuff article saying he won't leave NZ before baby is born: due date is mid-November, last AB Test is 20/11 so unless baby arrives really early he ain't leaving NZ this year.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Meanwhile, "Springboks lock Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg is leaving the Rugby Championship squad for personal reasons and won’t be replaced."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just watching podcast early today and James Parson and Bryn Hall bought up intereting point. Probably some of best perfoming players from 2 tests on weekend were QC (Quade Cooper), Kerevi (and Hooper) for Wallabies for ABs BB, TJP and Lurch for ABs, things they had in common, just coming off season in Japan.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just watching podcast early today and James Parson and Bryn Hall bought up intereting point. Probably some of best perfoming players from 2 tests on weekend were QC (Quade Cooper), Kerevi (and Hooper) for Wallabies for ABs BB, TJP and Lurch for ABs, things they had in common, just coming off season in Japan.
Years ago I remember listening to Leon MacDonald after coming back from Japan to play in NZ and he basically said that he was in some of the best shape he had been in for years. He said the training in Japan had been hard and he had gotten really fit but the games weren't as tough or as physically damaging as they were at home.

I think Japan may be seen as a great option for top players to go not just for a payday but as an opportunity to get healthy, get over niggly injuries but stay fit and keep reasonably rugby sharp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One of the big benefits for the international players in Japan is they rarely play 80 minutes because they have to be replaced to bring on another international player.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well a ballsy call, but not suprising , changed a whole lot. I don't mind though
All Blacks team to face Argentina in Rugby Championship Rd 4 in Brisbane on Saturday:

1. Joe Moody (51)
2. Samisoni Taukei’aho (5)
3. Tyrel Lomax (9)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (38)
5. Tupou Vaa’i (6)
6. Ethan Blackadder (4)
7. Ardie Savea (53) – captain
8. Hoskins Sotutu (6)
9. TJ Perenara (72)
10. Damian McKenzie (34)
11. George Bridge (14)
12. Quinn Tupaea (2)
13. Rieko Ioane (41)
14. Will Jordan (7)
15. Jordie Barrett (29)
RESERVES:
16. Codie Taylor (61)
17. George Bower (6)
18. Ofa Tuungafasi (39)
19. Scott Barrett (45)
20. Luke Jacobson (8)
21. Finlay Christie (2)
22. Beauden Barrett (95)
23. Braydon Ennor (1)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Given the schedule & playing group it's pretty much all they could do for this one (other than taking an extra 5/8 option, of course). Gotta hope DMac either goes the 80 or Beaugan only gets 10-15 at the end & doesn't blow his calf.

Edit: 371 caps in the XV & 628 in the 23 with four half-centurions: last week it was 486, 640 & four so starting to build some real depth across most positions.

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL Fozzie has rolled the dice bigtime, gambling that the Argie's have nothing.

THAT WORKED OUT WELL LAST YEAR.

Just pencilled in any old squaddie that hasnt had a run lately.

Holy shit, the forward pack, aside from Moody, have a LOT to prove.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
LOL Fozzie has rolled the dice bigtime, gambling that the Argie's have nothing.

THAT WORKED OUT WELL LAST YEAR.

Just pencilled in any old squaddie that hasnt had a run lately.

Holy shit, the forward pack, aside from Moody, have a LOT to prove.
All Argentina can do is tackle.

Be brillo if you shanked another one but there is fuck-all chance of that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will be interested to see how DMac goes tonight. I know he tends to drift/run sideways at times , actually a lot like RMo. They both drift out looking for gaps etc to exploit, where BB is a 10 that plays pretty flat to the line and aims at gaps in front of him. When RMo plays and he gpt Havili at 12 , DH is the the one taking the ball off set piece often as he flatter and RMo loops around him, I not real sure Tupaea will give DMac rhe same luxury tonight as he a different style 12.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's pretty inspirational that the Boks are even playing in this tournament. Seems Etzebeth and many of their forwards suffer from serious chronic medical conditions, severe forms of arthritis, perhaps, and struggle to go more than 14 seconds without being attended to by a legion of medical staff for a minute or two. Leaving the care home -- whence I assume they all reside, what with all this constant need for medical attention -- must be a pretty daunting experience. They have displayed true courage simply by turning up to Australia, let alone finding the willpower to partake in a match of rugby union football.

In saying that. Would be a shame if a cheeky Maori halfback lawbook know-it-all from Porirua were to callously quick tap as many penalties as possible over the next two weeks. Would be a truly heartless attitude toward these brave, presumably arthritis ravaged, heroes. You'd just absolutely hate to see it.

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's pretty inspirational that the Boks are even playing in this tournament. Seems Etzebeth and many of their forwards suffer from serious chronic medical conditions, severe forms of arthritis, perhaps, and struggle to go more than 14 seconds without being attended to by a legion of medical staff for a minute or two. Leaving the care home -- whence I assume they all reside, what with all this constant need for medical attention -- must be a pretty daunting experience. They have displayed true courage simply by turning up to Australia, let alone finding the willpower to partake in a match of rugby union football.

In saying that. Would be a shame if a cheeky Maori halfback lawbook know-it-all from Porirua were to callously quick tap as many penalties as possible over the next two weeks. Would be a truly heartless attitude toward these brave, presumably arthritis ravaged, heroes. You'd just absolutely hate to see it.
Absolutely nailed-on game plan. No stoppages, 100% Helter Skelter, maybe bring back Cruden for some insane fake-taking-the-3-turndowns and quick taps. And half-mental dinked dropouts from own 22.

We are going Fullblown 100% Polynesian Basketball Funny Car Blitzkrieg Onehunga Drag Strip Mall versus these poor decrepit anti-rugby invalids who are perpetually in need of some ice to the back of the neck. Maybe they are suffering from menopause.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Absolutely nailed-on game plan. No stoppages, 100% Helter Skelter, maybe bring back Cruden for some insane fake-taking-the-3-turndowns and quick taps. And half-mental dinked dropouts from own 22.

We are going Fullblown 100% Polynesian Basketball Funny Car Blitzkrieg Onehunga Drag Strip Mall versus these poor decrepit anti-rugby invalids who are perpetually in need of some ice to the back of the neck. Maybe they are suffering from menopause.

The Irish have shown that a "play no rugby" strategy can beat the ABs. Go for it on your Onehunga Drag Strip.

Personally I suspect the ABs will follow the respect they showed the WBs. Points by 3 until comfortable on the score board then drop the respect - let it rip. Unlikely the Boks can win, but game #100 will be interesting.