• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2021

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It means asking the Wobs to be away from home for something like seven or eight weeks at a time when there's some scary shit happening in Aus. I'm not sure they'll be up for that (just as AB likely wouldn't be if the situation were reversed).

Is it really that scary? The MSM tell us it is, but the 98.8% of the population who don't have the bug are dealing with it as per the government(s) directives. As ignoto points out, there are solutions - 7 weeks on the road for the Wobs is one, moving the entire tournament to Queensland is another. These are professional sportsmen, it's not park footy.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is it really that scary? The MSM tell us it is, but the 98.8% of the population who don't have the bug are dealing with it as per the government(s) directives. As ignoto points out, there are solutions - 7 weeks on the road for the Wobs is one, moving the entire tournament to Queensland is another. These are professional sportsmen, it's not park footy.
The prospect of three months in my apartment scares me.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Two tests against the All Blacks in NZ in a row? 'yaaay' said no one, ever.

Does seem the best way around the problem as far as I can see, a few things will have fall into place though , mainly ABs being able to get into MIQ coming back.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Two tests against the All Blacks in NZ in a row? 'yaaay' said no one, ever.

It’s shit. But probably a sensible proposal. It’s big step from the French, but it’s an international game with the Kiwis on our back door. Not much choice as long as so much test time is locked with these guys.

And a lot better than no rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s shit. But probably a sensible proposal. It’s big step from the French, but it’s an international game with the Kiwis on our back door. Not much choice as long as so much test time is locked with these guys.

And a lot better than no rugby.

Doesn't matter where they are, as Rennie says, Wallabies have to win one in NZ anyway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So with sky stadium unavailable on 14/8, where would B2 get played? Hamilton? Dunners?

Not sure, I been trying to work it out, But Dunners could be good, although Hamilton is a good place to do it, can set up around Cambridge for whole trip. Just been up your way last week WOB and have to say the set up around the Bike velodrome in Cambridge is pretty impressive, got Gyms, a pool and St Peter's rugby fields right there!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Does the player welfare issue stack up given the state of SA?

I think the player welfare will be less of an issue this year, just playing a Lions series, and they can come to NZ, do their isolation, play here and call inot Aus on way back (if no covid here), but that may cause problems as they meant to be in Aus first so.............
Indeed strange time to be organising rugby comps.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They didn't use the top deck of the older stand at FMG for AB v Fiji as it needs strengthening so that would probably tip the balance in favour of Dunners. Or they could try their luck using Eden Park for both, I s'pose: even if they only get 80% capacity that's still more than any NZ venue other than sky, I believe.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld reporting that Auckland & Perth Tests will go ahead as planned & NZR are looking at moving the Wellington one to midweek or Sunday. Also quoting Chris Lendrum, NZR's head of pro rugby, as saying the two Pumas Tests will likely now be played in Aus as they fall within the eight week travel bubble pause, with the two v SA going ahead at the scheduled venues & on the scheduled dates which are after the pause which is all well & good unless it gets extended.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/nz...against-the-pumas/3Q34SU7764AVIOVEKHQVQ475VU/

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZHurld reporting that Auckland & Perth Tests will go ahead as planned & NZR are looking at moving the Wellington one to midweek or Sunday. Also quoting Chris Lendrum, NZR's head of pro rugby, as saying the two Pumas Tests will likely now be played in Aus as they fall within the eight week travel bubble pause, with the two v SA going ahead at the scheduled venues & on the scheduled dates which are after the pause which is all well & good unless it gets extended.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/nz...against-the-pumas/3Q34SU7764AVIOVEKHQVQ475VU/

Bit relieved, I can handle the Puma tests being played in Aus, but would be gutted if Bok series was, there is too much history involved between us to play the 100th test in a country that doesn't understand.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If you go online, you can still buy tickets fro Bled game in Wellington on 28th Aug, that is piss poor, NZR should surely be getting that stopped?