• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Two things that highlights to me. 1) having over half your squad being overseas means you've lost complete control over your national team and 2) why couldn't they just send the younger generation who aren't lockee by the quarantine rule?

Honestly I don't care if they do or don't come out. It just looks bloody weird that they've known for how long that the players need 400-500 minutes of rugby, spend weeks telling us they're coming only to do an about face on the eve of when they need to leave.

I know SARU are banking hard on the BIL tour filling their bank accounts, but they're then heavily relying on a potential vaccine actually being viable. Dunno why you'd risk the house on it to be honest.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Two things that highlights to me. 1) having over half your squad being overseas means you've lost complete control over your national team and 2) why couldn't they just send the younger generation who aren't lockee by the quarantine rule?

Honestly I don't care if they do or don't come out. It just looks bloody weird that they've known for how long that the players need 400-500 minutes of rugby, spend weeks telling us they're coming only to do an about face on the eve of when they need to leave.

I know SARU are banking hard on the BIL tour filling their bank accounts, but they're then heavily relying on a potential vaccine actually being viable. Dunno why you'd risk the house on it to be honest.

As an aside, all the posters that have insisted that RA should open the Wallabies to being selected from around the world wherever they are, aren't you glad they don't now , so Wallabies don't have this problem?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
fitting replacement given the role SA played in cutting the Sunwolves

Would be great to continue helping Japan on its journey to being a regular tier 1 nation

Get it in your thick skull. SA never cut off the Sunwolves. The Japanese Rugby Union (JPRU) never subsidised their team going forward. If ARU and NZRU so welcomed them then, why did they not offer to sponsor their participation?

Going well there financially is it? Sponsor them you could not. Why should SARU take the blame for it. Fuck you.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Get it in your thick skull. SA never cut off the Sunwolves. The Japanese Rugby Union (JPRU) never subsidised their team going forward. If ARU and NZRU so welcomed them then, why did they not offer to sponsor their participation?

Going well there financially is it? Sponsor them you could not. Why should SARU take the blame for it. Fuck you.

Ulrich, mate. I understand things are tense and rugby discussion especially on an Aus forum heads to uncomfortable places right now. Also some posters here have been less than fair.

However, SARU required a funding arrangement with a Japan that was not required by any other franchise. I doubt it was the sole issue but was definitely material in JRU decission to not further subsidise a foreign comp.

Undoubtedly South Africa had their role in this. A considerably larger role than others.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As an aside, all the posters that have insisted that RA should open the Wallabies to being selected from around the world wherever they are, aren't you glad they don't now , so Wallabies don't have this problem?

I dont think its a good idea but i do think its inevitable.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ulrich, mate. I understand things are tense and rugby discussion especially on an Aus forum heads to uncomfortable places right now. Also some posters here have been less than fair.

However, SARU required a funding arrangement with a Japan that was not required by any other franchise. I doubt it was the sole issue but was definitely material in JRU decission to not further subsidise a foreign comp.

Undoubtedly South Africa had their role in this. A considerably larger role than others.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-may-lead-to-new-dawn-for-japanese-rugby.html

Best article on the situation. It’s was the JRFU that technically made the final decision but lots of political factors in the background from all sides. Rich Freeman is as trustworthy a journalist in rugby as you can find

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)

Maybe?

SARU also lost out on RWC 2023 because of Japan's sneaky maneuvres. Most people don't recall that.

In SA we can accept someone leaving for more money if forewarned. Being blindsided like SARU were I don't blame them at all if they had decided to dump the Sunwolves earlier. If SARU had the money they may well have.

For once SARU themselves were publically honest w.r.t the RC and yet people have issues with that. It is way more than Japan and the rest of the world gave SA.

Anyway, we're only from Africa so who cares, right?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unfathomable now that a 3x RWC winner has not had the chance to host in 24+ years. SARU have given up on bidding actually after 3 or 4 consecutive failed atrempts at landing the deal. Even after independent research sugfested SA was the best candidate for RWC 2023.

Thanks Japan for your betrayal.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think it's time for you guys to remember that this forum was built on respect and civility for everyone. Take a second to think before you post and please cut out the personal insults. As long term members you get a fair bit of freedom that newer members don't because you know how to self moderate. Please keep it that way none of us want to start deleting posts and banning people.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyway, we're only from Africa so who cares, right?

As one of the two countries (along with the Kiwi's) to come and tour your fair country after apartheid I don't think that this jibe is a necessarily fair reflection of the relationship the SH block has generally had even with all their at times competing interests.

Also South Africa does not represent all of Africa. There are a lot of African rugby unions who would be beyond envious of SARU's position, influence and resources.

Overall I'm really sad to not get a chance to watch some more Rugby. I was really looking forward to the different style of game that SA bring and have always enjoyed the rivalry. I think the timing of the announcement and elements of the proposed reasoning is what is causing upset. Potentially SANZAAR knew this was happening for awhile, as from all appearances it seems SA knew they were heading in this direction. I really hope there isn't unnecessary politicking going on behind the scenes because in the current COVID landscape it would all seem rather petty.

Anyway, back a Tri Nations, SA back to working out their domestic comp and next years plans.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfathomable now that a 3x RWC winner has not had the chance to host in 24+ years. SARU have given up on bidding actually after 3 or 4 consecutive failed atrempts at landing the deal. Even after independent research sugfested SA was the best candidate for RWC 2023.

Thanks Japan for your betrayal.
Not to sound ignorant, but how did Japan betray SA?

I’m not informed of the background of this, would be interested to hear what happened here. I have never been aware of any SA alliance with Jap.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
1515.jpg

Sully, your avatar was scaring me so I had to upgrade it;

white.jpg

There, all better now.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not to sound ignorant, but how did Japan betray SA?

I’m not informed of the background of this, would be interested to hear what happened here. I have never been aware of any SA alliance with Jap.

France bought them over. They were the deciding vote.

After commitment to SA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
France bought them over. They were the deciding vote.

After commitment to SA

I don’t think there was any commitment from Japan to vote for South Africa, and it’s not like Japan were even the deciding vote. Even Africa didn’t vote for South Africa, that is surely the more concerning issue.