• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's also the World Tens Series that's scheduled to run from Oct. 28. Apparently running an actual series this time. Completely based in Florida and supposedly also being professional.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cringe..

Why southport tigers tho? Clive offer sponsorship and cash? Or is he snd executive or something?

As I have noted elsewhere:

The collision between Clive "The Hutt" Palmer's desperate need for publicity, and Folau's desperate need to change his loyalties at the drop of a hat (and publicity).

giphy.gif

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hilarious......

Breaking: Former Wallabies star Israel Folau will join the Japanese Top League. contract.
He will joined sacked Waratahs coach Rob Penney at NTT. Talks had been underway for weeks.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So he used Clive Palmer to leverage his way out of his Catalans contract under the assumption he would then sign on to play local League.

Once out he signs a contract with NTT?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Rugby Europe Super Cup has been unveiled. Been in the works for a couple of years. No Romanian team involved thanks to an ongoing dispute with their govt who slayed the Union's budget. Hopefully in the future. Seen mention from Spanish based commenters that they want to grow it to a 16 team structure in time. Will be interesting to see how it goes

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/news/rugby-europe-launches-the-super-cup/

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nice - will help the guys in Georgia who haven't gone to France, and give other professionals an oppotunity to help grow the game and player base in new or emerging nations.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah I saw this earlier - I was a bit surprised Israel is included while Germany & Romania are out.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nice - will help the guys in Georgia who haven't gone to France, and give other professionals an oppotunity to help grow the game and player base in new or emerging nations.

Will be interesting to see it evolve. Hopefully they have a long term development plan for the competition with targeted nations to get a teams while others like Spain etc. to get another team or two down the line. I know there were two bids from Spain.

I'm also interested to see the development of the teams themselves. Though I didn't get to watch any games in SLAR this season following the scores it was clear that in the 2nd half of the season every team closed the gap on the Jags. Even the Colombians.

WR (World Rugby) seem to be looking to do something similar here with their involvement. Which is something I think they've needed to look at for a while.

With this and SLAR what's needed now is something solar in Africa and Asia. Take Africa for example. Last weekend the top two teams outside of SA in recent years in Namibia and Kenya both lost. Namibia to the Ivory Coast in the Ivory Coast and Kenya to Senegal in Kenya.

Something similar there and in Asia could help drive development forward.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah I saw this earlier - I was a bit surprised Israel is included while Germany & Romania are out.

There were murmurs of an Israeli team for a few months. Hell even the Cheetahs were mentioned. Romania is a sad situation. They agreed to moved out of their stadium while it was redeveloped for Euro 2021 on the grounds that they were to take up primary residence as before after. Only for the Govt. to reneg on the agreement and try to push them out. Part of that was slashing their budget from between 50-70%.

Germany is apparently a victim of it's own devising. They had the backing and support to kick on but petty infighting and self interest drove it all away. Really quite sad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's one bloke pouring millions into German rugby but is a bit Twiggy about it ;)

If you're referring to Hans-Peter Wild then that arrangement ended several years ago. He funded Heidelberg's professionalism. Built the Wild Academy and promoted a lot of the national teams games.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The JRFU have leaked the new name of the Japanese pro league. The Japanese Rugby League One. They've also released the breakdown of the divisions and the teams. I'll post a link from the Rich Freeman tweet a little later.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would have to agree this appears a rather odd decision.

When you apply for citizenship the first hurdle is proving residency. All trips overseas have be accounted for and you need min time in Aus over the last (I think) two years.

Love the bloke but he has been living in Japan quite a lot of late.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Portugal have beaten Russia 49-27 in Russia continuing their impressive run in the REC since returning to the division. Leading into this years competition I would have had Spain as the front runners for Europe 2 but after they essentially shot themselves in the foot against both Romania and Portugal largely thanks to poor discipline things are beginning to look very interesting.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Chile has beaten Argentina XV 25-24. The first time they've ever beaten an Argentine opponent at this level. Which puts them n good stead leading into the RWC qualifier playoff with Canada after they fell to the Eagles. Chile has really come along in the last two years since they have established their HP set up. They have plans to further expand it into two locations in the near future alongside a potential 2nd entrant in SLAR. I'd probably have Canada as favourite but think it will be a close fought series. Definitely think Chile can upset the Canadians though.

More on SLAR. Apparently Tucumun are in talks to enter a team in the competition forming the 2nd Argentine entrant. Which I think is a good move. The goal should be to eventually have 3 Argentine squads involved. Alongside a second Uruguayan and Chilean team that would provide SLAR with a fairly solid base. Another interesting development is the involvement of several Peruvian players scheduled for next season. Peru has been previously mentioned as being interested in getting involved in SLAR and this may be their first tentative set ups toward a franchise of their own.