• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC jerseys

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Your team runs to the left or to the right of the screen it’s not hard
Possibly the most reductionist statement I've ever read about rugby.

Last thing I'll say given the thread - 1 in 12 males are colour blind. Have a look at these examples below and see if you still think it'd be easy viewing. The last one serves as an example of the impact of good contrast, as well as how match officials need to be considered.

1689058334104.png
Sco-v-Geo.jpeg

Wal-v-RSA.jpeg

Ire-v-RSA.jpeg

1689058425524.png

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I am a fan of molman’s and Raelenes ones. also, would one team in a striped uniform help with the colour blind?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
We need that colourblind filter on the Force heritage jersey in a game, or Waikato (I think) in the NPC.
It would but they would look like soccer players. Hoops is the answer.
I stand corrected, meant hoops. Vertical stripes don’t work in rugby, fact.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Last thing I'll say given the thread - 1 in 12 males are colour blind. Have a look at these examples below and see if you still think it'd be easy viewing. The last one serves as an example of the impact of good contrast, as well as how match officials need to be considered.

View attachment 16819View attachment 16821
View attachment 16820
View attachment 16822
View attachment 16823

This is very interesting. I don’t have to deal with it but wouldn’t Hoops regardless of colour eliminate the issue because you can identify the pattern. As long as you know which team has the hoops then it’s all good?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Seems hoops would help. The second is only one of four filters, but with the most obvious flattening of colours.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    980.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    940.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Re: all the hoops comments - the answer is yes and no.

So long as the colours chosen are not similarly impacted, it may help (as with @Drew's example); however, as with the below, you can see that it's not necessarily a fix in all cases. The other consideration is that there are several variations of colour blindness, in terms of the actual colours affected, so it really isn't one size fits all.

Realistically, the best way to combat it is as proposed by World Rugby - by ensuring a 'high contrast' clash strip is available.

1689062467805.png

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just tried with Auckland v Waikato in NPC. Just the filtered image shows Even when both sides are hoops, the white/black stand out, while the red and yellow disappear. Probably why they went with white alternate jersey. Still think hoops with a good contrast would make for a more interesting alternate.

Attachments

• IMG_4981.jpeg
    IMG_4981.jpeg
    970.6 KB · Views: 46

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

View attachment 16819View attachment 16821
View attachment 16820
View attachment 16822
View attachment 16823

The issue now is you turn on the game and nobody recognises the team as everyone else is now in white. Where nobody but England wore it before

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The issue now is you turn on the game and nobody recognises the team as everyone else is now in white. Where nobody but England wore it before
In seriousness though, I understand your point from an 'identity' perspective - however no one is proposing clash strips be worn all the time, and ultimately I think that making the game accessible to fans holds greater importance.

It's also no different to having a home and away strip, which has been happening for the best part of forever.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
We need that colourblind filter on the Force heritage jersey in a game, or Waikato (I think) in the NPC.

I stand corrected, meant hoops. Vertical stripes don’t work in rugby, fact.
That's cause on the props they bend

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
In seriousness though, I understand your point from an 'identity' perspective - however no one is proposing clash strips be worn all the time, and ultimately I think that making the game accessible to fans holds greater importance.

It's also no different to having a home and away strip, which has been happening for the best part of forever.
Just forcing sides into plain white kits for the World Cup is shambolic

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Just forcing sides into plain white kits for the World Cup is shambolic
Your understanding is misguided - the teams are free to determine their own alternate/clash strip, so long as it meets the broadcast requirements, which have/will be extended to include considerations of colour blindness. Aus nominated white as their alternate/clash strip - they don't have to be 'plain white'.
World Rugby made a range of recommendations for the 2023 World Cup, on the back of tests of kit for broadcast quality made earlier this year.

In this routine process, unions submitted their primary and secondary kits – in some cases using designs not yet launched to the public – to be looked at in the French stadiums, under floodlights and daylight conditions.

This is normally aimed at picking up clashes of the same colour or tone that make TV viewing difficult, but this time World Rugby considered colour-blindness problems too.

All the combinations of team kits were compared, together with referees’ kits, and after further analysis, certain unions were asked not to play in their primary kit. The requests included changes of socks.

There is an operational list of “Team A” and “Team B” for each World Cup match, and Portugal as “Team A” versus Australia had first choice of kit.

With various types and severities of CVD, and consequently a range of problems with combinations of colours or shades, it is understood the relevant imagery showed the Portuguese jersey had a yellowish tinge that raised a colour-blindness issue.

Also, to put things in perspective:
World Rugby has said, of the 250 million unique viewers who watched the 2019 Rugby World Cup held in Japan, approximately 12.9 million would have had some form of colour blindness, based upon a 62:38 male-female spectator profile.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is very interesting. I don’t have to deal with it but wouldn’t Hoops regardless of colour eliminate the issue because you can identify the pattern. As long as you know which team has the hoops then it’s all good?
Not really - colours at a distance all blend in for me......

When you tell someone you're colour blind they always ask "what colour is the sky to you" or "what colour is the grass" but you learn in school that the sky is blue & grass green so that's what you say.

But Autum and sunsets though - I don't get all the fuss everyone makes out about it, as I can't see shit!

Also red flowers on a green tree, from beyond a few paces I just see the green tree.