• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Georgia, SdF Sunday 10th September 2am

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Selecting Donaldson for his goal kicking when he was under 70% in Super Rugby this year and one of the worst in the comp makes no sense

Yes the Donaldson selection is likely going to go down as a wtf moment in history. I’m all for dropping a form player for a goal kicker - I get that part of it.

But given that goal kicker isn’t a very good one it just doesn’t make sense. He must be nailing them at training.

All we can hope is that Donaldson comes out and proves everyone wrong.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yes the Donaldson selection is likely going to go down as a wtf moment in history. I’m all for dropping a form player for a goal kicker - I get that part of it.

But given that goal kicker isn’t a very good one it just doesn’t make sense. He must be nailing them at training.

All we can hope is that Donaldson comes out and proves everyone wrong.
I think we should be good enough anyway, even if he has a mare..

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
- Called it, I like the team,
Yeah well I called the Georgian team
Here's what I think the Georgia team will be, based off living in the Caucasus Mountains as a hermit for 20 years.
  • 15. Davit Niniashvili
  • 14. Akaki Tabutsadze
  • 13. Demur Tapladze
  • 12. Merab Sharikadze (captain)
  • 11. Miriani Modebadze
  • 10. Luka Matkava
  • 9. Vasil Lobzhanidze
  • 1. Nika Abuladze
  • 2. Shalva Mamukashvili
  • 3. Guram Papidze
  • 4. Nodar Cheishvili
  • 5. Konstantine Mikautadze
  • 6. Tornike Jalagonia
  • 7. Luka Ivanishvili
  • 8. Beka Gorgadze
Replacements:
  • 16. Tengizi Zamtaradze
  • 17. Guram Gogichashvili
  • 18. Beka Gigashvili
  • 19. Lasha Jaiani
  • 20. Giorgi Tsutskiridze
  • 21. Gela Aprasidze
  • 22. Tedo Abzhandadze
  • 23. Giorgi Kveseladze

Last edited:

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If we were going to carry a player in the 15 solely for their goal kicking I'd pick Hodge over Donaldson 7 days a week.
You just get the feeling that every decision Jones has made has been more about preparing young guys for the next world cup, rather than winning the current one. really hope i'm proven wrong.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Is Donaldson there purely as a backup kicker? I can vaguely see the rationale, though still would have had him on the bench over Vunivalu given I don't think they can run Kerevi without Foketi backing him up.
If you wanted a backup kicker then why not select someone who is better at kicking? And has played 15? Let alone that they are in their 5th test match as the primary kicker AFTER BEING AN AVERAGE Super Rugby PLAYER. AND IT'S THE RWC.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
According to the Roar’s Wallaby fluffer…

Donaldson was selected for his goal kicking, and Eddie stated this is their best team.

It simply reads that Kellaway was dropped.
I don’t believe a thing out of his mouth/what’s he meant to say.

If we do improve goal kicking it is a stronger team I guess….

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ben Donaldson will have the top 4 sides shivering in their boots said no one ever
One of the least deserving and least desiring and or exciting players to watch at 15
He got shifted from the tahs as he was slow and could not ignite their attack
To drop kellaway for him is madness
And not to have kellaway on the bench who can cover 13, wings and 15 and a straight out winger in Suli

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
If we were going to carry a player in the 15 solely for their goal kicking I'd pick Hodge over Donaldson 7 days a week.
You just get the feeling that every decision Jones has made has been more about preparing young guys for the next world cup, rather than winning the current one. really hope i'm proven wrong.
That's the only possible logical interpretation. Assuming Jones is logical.

And even if you wanted to get rid of bad apples and losers. Hodge, Sio, Holloway, M.Hooper, modern Quade/JOC (James O'Connor)/ & Kellaway/White...do they fit that bill? They have been absolute servants for Aussie rugby.

I don't think so. They won't be around in 2027, but why can't you play some older players now and gradually work in the younger guys?

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Ben Donaldson will have the top 4 sides shivering in their boots said no one ever
One of the least deserving and least desiring and or exciting players to watch at 15
And not to have kellaway on the bench who can cover 13, wings and 15 and a straight out winger in Suli
Jones has lost his mind.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
According to the Roar’s Wallaby fluffer…

Donaldson was selected for his goal kicking, and Eddie stated this is their best team.

It simply reads that Kellaway was dropped.

It is all about the selection of Gordon at 10.

Jones goes all in on the guy so the structures around him are their to support him strengths (so runners to be hit on the gain line) and to cover his weaknesses we have Donaldson

Donaldson is a clear compromise pick to supplement our lack of goal kicking. Despite this year's Super Rugby stats he is a pretty good goal kicker and his best games have been when he was moved back to 15.

I am no fan of the guy, I was baffled by his selection in the squad, but i can understand Jones needed to fill the hole with Kellaway missing out

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Ben Donaldson will have the top 4 sidesshivering in their boots said no one ever
At 15 I'd rather have JOC (James O'Connor), Hodge, Kellaway, Quade, Lolesio, Wright, Foley, 1 armed Banks, Nic White, Beale, Folau, the skinny lad who returned from France (Mogg), maybe even Giteau or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Debreczini.

Jones found Ben Donaldson somehow.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I didn't read the articles, is Kellaway injured or is this a tactical move?

I don't want us to pull Bell and Tupou unless we're clear 21+

I have zero faith in Schoupp and Nonggorr (they did ok last week though tbf)
I have faith in Schoup come set piece time. Less faith in Zane.

We’ll lose a lot around the field but Bell & Tupou are outliers in that facet.

Just lock down the scrums when they get on.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
IT'S GEORGIA, stop pretending like its the all-blacks.