• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Riptide you are seriously overrating the Australian front 5. I expect us to more than hold our own in this regard, infact I would be advocating target this area of the Australian team. While the Irish team is out of form the front 5 performed well in the warm up games against France and England. O Connell's form is a major plus.

Australia 28 Ireland 19

I thinks the Aussie front five have developed quite nicely this past year and have all the attributes (size, athleticism, mobility, mongrel, worth rate and smarts) to more than hold their own against this Irish front five in which there is only one real ball carrier of note in Healy. O'Connell has been a fine player for many years, but his partner hasn't fronted up consistently for a long time and he will not get much support either from his TH prop who cannot move his feet anywhere outside the scrum. And then who have the Irish coming off the bench to replace tired legs? Cronin, Court, Ryan and Leamy will offer precious little impact and are a substantial step down from the players they might replace. In contrast, the Wallaby bench has real impact and punch. I do not expect the game to be that close around the 60-65 minute mark and I expect that the Wallabies will pull further away when the bench is unleashed.

08umema

I wouldn't like to see Drew get thrown back into the mix right away. As many have posted before me, i'd like to see him come off the bench maybe at the 60 minute mark. Before the injury he was the best winger in the Super Rugby if not the world, however after a lengthy lay off and with such a bad injury he might still be a bit hesitant going into contact. This Irish team will pose more of a threat than the Canucks (they may argue with that) and it will be a more physical affair. That being said, I am just looking forward to the game. Should be a good contest with Ireland coming out to prove a point after a somewhat disappointing first game against the USA.

On a final note, Wallabies by 12.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
This bloke seems to be hyped up so much. I will be pleased when Pocock completely outplays him

Oh look, he is a seriously good player, one of the best ball carriers in world rugby, he's not a 'fetcher' though. The problem with this Irish back row is balance, they're all big ball-carriers. Not saying they aren't quick, or can't do anything else, but they're all a very similar type of player. SOB really should be playing 6, but Ferris is such a good player they can't afford to leave him out. Going to be interesting to watch.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
This bloke seems to be hyped up so much. I will be pleased when Pocock completely outplays him

Yes. He is a hell of a 6 as several posters have attested, but he is a poor 7. Pocock will devour the Irish at the breakdown because they are quick to go to ground to re-establish the off-side line. Ferris might be a handful as he really shifts the pile and is a tremendous athlete and rugby player but SOB will not contribute like he can playing from the 7 position.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fox Sports News reported Stephen Moore giving James O'Connor a congratulatory bro-hug when they came out for training or something. So they concluded that O'Connor is starting on saturday. Probably a straight swap for Digby.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A little surprised that Palu and Barnes still aren't being given a crack off the bench.

It would seem hard to justify dropping players from the current 22 based solely on performances by players like Barnes, Palu and Sharpe against USA and Russia.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
A little surprised that Palu and Barnes still aren't being given a crack off the bench.

It would seem hard to justify dropping players from the current 22 based solely on performances by players like Barnes, Palu and Sharpe against USA and Russia.

Also a good thing having a performing 22 keeping those types of players waiting on their chance.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Agreed.
the exclusion of sharpe continues to perplex me.

Great to see Mitchell back. Fantastic work by him to get fit again.

Looking forward to see if A Faainga is up to the job with BOD. This will make or break him. If he does a good job, he won't be moving anywhere for awhile, but I suspect in this wet the great man will get the better of him.

How does Quade go in the wet? I haven't seen many games of him in the slosh.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Never have the Wallabies had such an impressive bench (appart from McCalman). They are going to make a very aggressive entrance to the game come the 50/60 minute mark. Swap Palu for McCalman and that bench is better than the All Blacks (maybe Barnes in there somewhere).

G

GC

Agreed.
the exclusion of sharpe continues to perplex me.

Great to see Mitchell back. Fantastic work by him to get fit again.

Looking forward to see if A Faainga is up to the job with BOD. This will make or break him. If he does a good job, he won't be moving anywhere for awhile, but I suspect in this wet the great man will get the better of him.

How does Quade go in the wet? I haven't seen many games of him in the slosh.

Quade is pretty good in the wet. He's not a lateral runner and has very good hands. If he kicks well like last weekend he'll be fine. If he has one of his shockers, not so much.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
So who will be defending in the 10 channel? Do you think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will take over Digby's role or will QC (Quade Cooper) be left there?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought his kicking game in the first half of the Italy match in terrible conditions was excellent. He did a good job of controlling territory for the Wallabies. He also put away the razzle dazzle.

italy was a pretty light wet.
the forecast for auckland is a lot of rain....proper wet....I haven't seen much of him in that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.