• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland vs Australia - Murrayfield, 8 Nov 1:15AM AEDT

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not too bad to be fair. I ain't going to stay up for that, but, this whole WFH situation means, I can get up at 6 on Monday, make a fry up, watch the game and still log in before I would normally get into the office.
Or watch the shorter version if you run out of time. STAN's options are pretty good.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Saw it reported that they had joined on Monday, this week. Still not a lot of time to learn the plays and develop combinations in training.
Although Rennie was quoted a couple of weeks ago as saying that the NH players are doing a lot of work on our systems etc on their own.

It's a bit of a toss up. Get Latu, Arnold, Skelton, and Beale into the 23 this week, on the assumption that we can beat the Scots even if we are a bit off the pace, but bank the benefits against the Soap Dodgers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Although Rennie was quoted a couple of weeks ago as saying that the NH players are doing a lot of work on our systems etc on their own.

It's a bit of a toss up. Get Latu, Arnold, Skelton, and Beale into the 23 this week, on the assumption that we can beat the Scots even if we are a bit off the pace, but bank the benefits against the Soap Dodgers.
The Scots are good and are at home. If we are off the pace we will lose.

I trust Rennie to make the right call.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale is obviously just there due to injury so I feel like him getting any opportunity during the tests is more about need than forward planning.

Latu, Arnold and Skelton will surely get solid minutes during the three tests unless it seems like they are well off the pace at training (which would be surprising). They've been brought in specifically and if it doesn't happen now it's hard to see how they can still be front of mind for 2023 RWC planning.

Reactions: dru

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Beale is obviously just there due to injury so I feel like him getting any opportunity during the tests is more about need than forward planning.

Latu, Arnold and Skelton will surely get solid minutes during the three tests unless it seems like they are well off the pace at training (which would be surprising). They've been brought in specifically and if it doesn't happen now it's hard to see how they can still be front of mind for 2023 RWC planning.
With respect to our current hookers/ second rowers, Latu, Arnold and Skelton will walk over them into the 23.
The only reason we won't see them this weekend is their attention to detail on the team patterns etc... In saying that, there's only three games, we need them firing for all three. Scotland are our bogey team, they will be a big challenge.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think they’ll get picked - maybe not this weekend - but definitely at some point - but I still don’t get this view. Last time Arnold & Rodda were picked together for Australia (at the World Cup) Rodda was the better performed of the two. And it wasn’t that long ago. Why do you assume Arnold would ‘walk over him’?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think they’ll get picked - maybe not this weekend - but definitely at some point - but I still don’t get this view. Last time Arnold & Rodda were picked together for Australia (at the World Cup) Rodda was the better performed of the two. And it wasn’t that long ago. Why do you assume Arnold would ‘walk over him’?
He's probably better than Philip and Swain, though. And Skelton is a point of difference.

It would be crazy not to give the European based players a lot of game time. It's our only chance to see them.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Rodda is the best of Phillip, Swain and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but I do still think he's a bit of a passenger. Arnold is dominate in the lineout and has the ability to bend the line. We all know what Skelton can do.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Rodda is anything but a passenger.

Anyhow, I do rate Arnold highly and I am keen to see what the European guys can do. I’ve no doubt they’ll get opportunties. I’m very keen to see how Skelton gets used. Skelton had his issues when he was here but I always felt the general public treatment of him was pretty brutal. I recall he had some mental health issues which I assume related. Always like to see a guy like that thrive.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rodda is the best of Phillip, Swain and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but I do still think he's a bit of a passenger. Arnold is dominate in the lineout and has the ability to bend the line. We all know what Skelton can do.
Do we? Skelton, in his early tests, was a monster at rolling maul time. His other talents as a Lock were not so honed. By the time he he left for overseas, he was a handicap at both scrum time and at lineout. His ability to break the line and attract numerous defenders also never reached the heights at test level that dominated at Super Rugby level. Not many Wallaby fans really lamented his departure.

I don't know if he has improved in the meantime. All reports indicate he has, but it remains that in his most recent tests for the Wallabies, he was not a standout. I think we should take a deep breath and wait until he is back in the team to see how he will perform. His spot would still be very dicey, I believe, if he doesn't offer a jumping option at lineout, or if he still can't get his head properly into a scrum.

That said, his capability at maul time will be valuable. For mine, we have some of the best maul disruptors in world rugby, in Arnold, Skelton, Swain and Philip.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Do we? Skelton, in his early tests, was a monster at rolling maul time. His other talents as a Lock were not so honed. By the time he he left for overseas, he was a handicap at both scrum time and at lineout. His ability to break the line and attract numerous defenders also never reached the heights at test level that dominated at Super Rugby level. Not many Wallaby fans really lamented his departure.
I find this a distinctly Australian trait. Once a player has a reputation it cannot be altered no matter what the player does.

Rather than create a system where his deficiencies could be addressed and his talents nurtured - we slag him off as a lock who can't jump and he bails.

Nek minnut, he's won several titles with two different teams as well as the European Championship and is widely regarded as one of the best locks in Europe.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
His ability to break the line and attract numerous defenders also never reached the heights at test level that dominated at Super Rugby level. Not many Wallaby fans really lamented his departure.

I don't know if he has improved in the meantime. All reports indicate he has, but it remains that in his most recent tests for the Wallabies, he was not a standout. I think we should take a deep breath and wait until he is back in the team to see how he will perform.

BR, I had to re-read this to make sure you weren't talking about Pete Samu who had the same problem. Couldn't translate his Super Rugby form into performances at the Wallabies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you asked the NH who the best 3 locks in the NH are during club rugby, I guarantee any astute rugby pundits would have Skelton and Arnold in the top 3. There's a reason La Rochelle played Toulouse in the Top 14 final and the Heineken Cup final.

Not being a dick but if you haven't watched them since they left Aus rugby you're kinda clueless. They're different players (and yeah it's a bad look for Aus rugby that they didn't develop here as much as over there).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If you asked the NH who the best 3 locks in the NH are during club rugby, I guarantee any astute rugby pundits would have Skelton and Arnold in the top 3. There's a reason La Rochelle played Toulouse in the Top 14 final and the Heineken Cup final.

Not being a dick but if you haven't watched them since they left Aus rugby you're kinda clueless. They're different players (and yeah it's a bad look for Aus rugby that they didn't develop here as much as over there).
Rodda even played in the same comp with them and was rated nowhere near. Arnold & Skelton will be massive additions. As long as Skelton stops whacking people above the shoulders.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rodda even played in the same comp with them and was rated nowhere near. Arnold & Skelton will be massive additions. As long as Skelton stops whacking people above the shoulders.
Great point, he was at a good team too, Lyon and was serviceable but certainly didn't stand out as dominant as Arnold or Skelton did.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Rennie's normal tactic with the new players is to bring them back slowly and maybe introduce them from the 2nd game but I don't he has time to do that and the 2nd game is England so they need to hit their straps early. I would like to see Arnold starting and Skelton on the bench for this one. Latu from the bench as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Rennie's normal tactic with the new players is to bring them back slowly and maybe introduce them from the 2nd game but I don't he has time to do that and the 2nd game is England so they need to hit their straps early. I would like to see Arnold starting and Skelton on the bench for this one. Latu from the bench as well.
This has to happen.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I’m happy to acknowledge your point that my view is ‘uninformed’ but I just think there is a tendency to overhype OS players form and look at players to be the Messiah. Then turn on them if they don’t live up to it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not too bad to be fair. I ain't going to stay up for that, but, this whole WFH situation means, I can get up at 6 on Monday, make a fry up, watch the game and still log in before I would normally get into the office.
This is a very solid plan and I'm going to steal it.