• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This is 100% truth and the problem with this is that of you develop 7s players, you lose basic skills for XV. Just look out the USA Rugby model, is one of the few countries where 7s is more popular than XV and now they're struggling to qualify to the XV World Cup.

Sevens is good to develop basic skills but that's all, basic skills. League is also good to develop basic skills but then the game is completely different to Rugby XV. So in a country where most of the athletes play other footy codes you are gonna split your tiny talent pool developing players with only basic skills in order to develop 7s. It's not make senses to me

Agree. But that is utter shite form to drop the comment here. Leave the thread be.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Fiji vs NZ is a war of attrition, both teams going to be missing a few players if they make the Gold Medal match

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well they started well, but Huchinson getting sent off by giving away soft infringement and then Toole making a couple of poor choices in attack and defence and gave up the game.

Battle for Bronze against NZ it is

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Aussie girls go two tries up in the gold medal match against Fiji, my plane is just taking off and I’m gonna have to wonder if those two tries are enough to get them home for the next 14 hours. Surely!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Big turnaround from the last encounter!

Moving the ball to do the work. Caslick stepping up with some key impacts both in attack and defence.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Men's final starting the same for Fiji as the women's final. All one way - against. Davids and Davids too good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So clinical by the Aussie Women. I was worried they may have played their final v NZL so much did they celebrate but they were on for this one. Everyone was fantastic. So good.

The men though were off. All tournaments. Just seemed strange and I’m happy to put it down to squad disruptions with the 15 guys brought in. It’s never worked. Even back in 2006 when we used Latham, Tuqiri, Giteau, Fava, Shepherd etc.

Patterson and Marr barely got game time which is really odd given their form. Patterson in particular. Longbottom too to an extent.

Not saying Toole has been ‘found out’ but he had his least impressive tournament and cost us big moments. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) added very little

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Disappointing results for NZ but can't take anything away from Aus women who were exceptional in that SF & Fiji men who we just don't seem able to cope with when they get a roll on.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
So clinical by the Aussie Women. I was worried they may have played their final v NZL so much did they celebrate but they were on for this one. Everyone was fantastic. So good.

The men though were off. All tournaments. Just seemed strange and I’m happy to put it down to squad disruptions with the 15 guys brought in. It’s never worked. Even back in 2006 when we used Latham, Tuqiri, Giteau, Fava, Shepherd etc.

Patterson and Marr barely got game time which is really odd given their form. Patterson in particular. Longbottom too to an extent.

Not saying Toole has been ‘found out’ but he had his least impressive tournament and cost us big moments. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) added very little
Yeah they never seemed to get out of 3rd gear (assuming they have more)

Hutchison seemed to get handled by the quality teams pretty easily. Toole was trying his guts out but he may be a bloke you bring on for the final 3rd of a game when space opens up. Interesting to see how they move into the series now and the next Olympics. They are definitely in a better position than previous cycles.

What the hell was up with England, Wales, Scotland.... only Scotland making the top 2 in a pool and then RSA did them 27/0. England looked unfit which at a home games is strange.

Enough with the boys.

HOW GOOD ARE OUR GIRLS.

They are the smartest 7s team I've seen in a long time. Maddy Ashby looks to be the heir apparent to Caslick in the dominant play maker role.

So glad they could get the Gold following winning the World Series that had a slight cloud over it due to NZ and Fiji not having full participation.

Enjoy the celebrations

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well they started well, but Huchinson getting sent off by giving away soft infringement and then Toole making a couple of poor choices in attack and defence and gave up the game.

Battle for Bronze against NZ it is
True. Corey Toole had a hand in all four of the SA tries. Probably his worst game of the tournament. HH gets monstered these days and probably has seen the best of his days.

Status
Not open for further replies.