• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

In other news, from the Shore:

The Rats have recalled John Kennedy to play 10 replacing Brock McGarrity who will play 2nd Grade where he will have more time to iron out a few things, according to coach McKee. I saw the good coach at Caragul yesterday looking at the talent in the NSW Schools trials, and Melrose was there as well. And Greg Clark was not promoted to barbeque work in the Knox heirachy, but was behind the counter and served me my coffee.

But I digress.

12 Sam Harris from the Rats resumes training next week after being out with a foot injury since Anzac Day IIRR and may play from the bench next Saturday.

Cam Treloar is back in town and the bad news for him is that, according to his Italian club, Calvisano, their failed bid to play in the Magners League would cripple them financially. "Tree" is not terribly pleased as the club owes him a month's salary and he is just back from holiday and needs the dosh.

I don't think that Tree will play today but he has clearance from the Italian FIR to play for the Rats. He is not the best Super14 player ever to get on the park, but at the club level he is superb. From the Rats point of view I hope that he is available for the big games coming up.

For Manly, flanker Brame is back from Pacific Cup duty and winger Lupeni Siale is back from a knee injury. Palu will have another game at 8.

For those watching the TV game: Gordon v Rats: have a look at Gordon's Dave Harvey. He is really a flyhalf playing fullback, but see if you think he would be good enough to be a backup flyhalf in the mystical 5th Super team. Also look at Josh Holmes playing 12 for the Rats. I've seen him play twice there now and he looks like a natural inside centre.

Well, at the club level, that is.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Watching at the mo Lee. Sheehan plays more like, well, a halfback at club level doesn't he?
Holmes does look quite good at 12 - have to watch if he can tackle though.
Lovely long ball for Rats 2nd try (from Sheehan that is, Holmes dished it for the 1st).

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

A shame Gordon hasn't shown up.

Holmes, despite his representative experience, is still an athlete not a footballer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Well Gordon showed up in the 2nd half, but fell just short. Well done to get the 2 bonus points though.
Haylett-Petty looks promising.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

A few nervous moments there, Holmes burning off the Gordon 15 was a top effort

Edit: You'd think Sheehan was unhappy from my new avatar, but this is right at the end right after his knock on and leg twinge..

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Sheehan is a nasty little shit. How about the gobful he gave Gordon after he converted Holmes' try ?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

naza said:
Sheehan is a nasty little shit. How about the gobful he gave Gordon after he converted Holmes' try ?

i love how i love it. that's what club rugby be is all about. Sheehan is a great competitor and really can be match winner. he really takes it to them. club rugby is all about pride.

I loved that game. so intense. if only all rugby was like that.

holmes had a cracker of a game. really is better at 12. great such

as a brumbies fan was really happy with pat McCabe. some nice touches.

Lee Grant said:
For those watching the TV game: Gordon v Rats: have a look at Gordon's Dave Harvey. He is really a flyhalf playing fullback, but see if you think he would be good enough to be a backup flyhalf in the mystical 5th Super team.

watched him a lot last year and this. dunno about him. great kicking skills but not so god passing and decisions making. i dunno if he has a good rugby brain. maybe. could be a passenger.

questions for the boys, is it just me or is club rugby a lot better this year? seems more exciting then in past years.
rats won part of my heart today. hope they make the finals.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

naza said:

Don't go getting precious naza. Being a nasty little shit never disqualified anybody from playing scrummie in Sydney club rugby.

The Rats played much better against Randwick last week, when they lost. They were due for a let down after that punishing, physical match and so it proved in the 2nd half against Gordon when they fell over the line to win.

To be competitive against Uni next week the Rats will have to play as they did against Randwick and play tough for 80 minutes; otherwise they will be toast. I feel in my bones that they are going to rue those 2 bonus points they allowed to Gordon, at the end of the season.

Wasn't Chris Alcock a dynamic player for Gordon? He did everything on the ground but sell the programmes. The Barker boy only made CAS IIIs but he's showing now that he wouldn't look out of place in an Academy. Being a short-arse he wouldn't be a lineout option but at 104kgs and 21, he could put on 5 kgs in a couple of years of Academy gym work. Plus he has the priceless ability to play hard, and above his weight. You can teach that or train that. I would love to see him play a couple of games at 7 in club rugby.

Another Barker boy, Ben Whittaker, at the ripe old age of 19, had a good game when he came on but I wish he would get rid of the deft league prop type off loads and just charge through people as he did to score his try. He should use The Force.

DHP, a WA local, is stepping up in senior rugby and now that a few backs have left the Force he may get more game time. I hope that he gets a few runs at fullback where I first saw him playing for Combined States schools 2 years ago.

For Gordon, Dave Harvey didn't quite live up to the wrap I gave him but you can see that he is a good footie player if you can excuse a few kicks out on the full and crook passes. LHP Ofa played well when he came on and a 120kgs, he could be a candidate for a 5th Super team squad, having gone through the mill at the Tahs already.

But Gordon were crap in the first half and the discomforture of 9 Byrne trying to combine with 10 Keil, and the calm exasperation of Gordon coach Lachlan Fear watching, made me squirm in delight as they are all poaches from the Rats. Karma.

For the Rats the nasty little shit, and qualified Assistant Referee, Sheehan, was good value, as ever was at this level - and the athlete Holmes, the brother who played 12, and who scored one try and created another despite not being a footballer, was one of their best.

The big improver was 3. Pingi, and like 1 Ofa for Gordon, only family members know how to spell the surname without looking it up. The Rats club is almost out of THPs and LHP Pingi has played there for 2 weeks including last week from the bench, when stalwart THP Barnard was injured. He was more active than any time I have watched him play, but unfortunately he had to go off with a displaced kneecap. Ouch !

When he went off for the Rats and Ofa came on for the Highlanders the Rats scrum deteriorated; so I fear the Uni scrum next week.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

PS - I can't work out why Pek Cowan, who started as LHP against Italy in Melbourne, but who would have had to play THP if 3. Alexander had been injured, did not start at THP instead of another LHP, Pingi.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

naza said:

Yes precious. Can I remind you that your client G Gregan is no saint in this area?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)

Lee Grant said:
naza said:

Don't go getting precious naza. Being a nasty little shit never disqualified anybody from playing scrummie in Sydney club rugby.

I cannot help but marvel at Warringah's dominance of possessing the highest dickhead to player ratio in Sydney club rugby. I ought to be used to it by now I guess.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Lee Grant said:
naza said:

The Rats played much better against Randwick last week, when they lost. They were due for a let down after that punishing, physical match and so it proved in the 2nd half against Gordon when they fell over the line to win.

To be competitive against Uni next week the Rats will have to play as they did against Randwick and play tough for 80 minutes; otherwise they will be toast. I feel in my bones that they are going to rue those 2 bonus points they allowed to Gordon, at the end of the season.

Wasn't Chris Alcock a dynamic player for Gordon? He did everything on the ground but sell the programmes. The Barker boy only made CAS IIIs but he's showing now that he wouldn't look out of place in an Academy. Being a short-arse he wouldn't be a lineout option but at 104kgs and 21, he could put on 5 kgs in a couple of years of Academy gym work. Plus he has the priceless ability to play hard, and above his weight. You can teach that or train that. I would love to see him play a couple of games at 7 in club rugby.

Another Barker boy, Ben Whittaker, at the ripe old age of 19, had a good game when he came on but I wish he would get rid of the deft league prop type off loads and just charge through people as he did to score his try. He should use The Force.

DHP, a WA local, is stepping up in senior rugby and now that a few backs have left the Force he may get more game time. I hope that he gets a few runs at fullback where I first saw him playing for Combined States schools 2 years ago.

For Gordon, Dave Harvey didn't quite live up to the wrap I gave him but you can see that he is a good footie player if you can excuse a few kicks out on the full and crook passes. LHP Ofa played well when he came on and a 120kgs, he could be a candidate for a 5th Super team squad, having gone through the mill at the Tahs already.

But Gordon were crap in the first half and the discomforture of 9 Byrne trying to combine with 10 Keil, and the calm exasperation of Gordon coach Lachlan Fear watching, made me squirm in delight as they are all poaches from the Rats. Karma.

For the Rats the nasty little shit, and qualified Assistant Referee, Sheehan, was good value, as ever was at this level - and the athlete Holmes, the brother who played 12, and who scored one try and created another despite not being a footballer, was one of their best.

The big improver was 3. Pingi, and like 1 Ofa for Gordon, only family members know how to spell the surname without looking it up. The Rats club is almost out of THPs and LHP Pingi has played there for 2 weeks including last week from the bench, when stalwart THP Barnard was injured. He was more active than any time I have watched him play, but unfortunately he had to go off with a displaced kneecap. Ouch !

When he went off for the Rats and Ofa came on for the Highlanders the Rats scrum deteriorated; so I fear the Uni scrum next week.

Keil is no poach.... Came back from overseas???

Thomas the Gordon openside I hate to admit it started at the Rats. But you poached Beau happy to trade back 1 or 2 for beau?

O

oxe7

nah josh keil used to play for rats 3 or 4 years back. Also Gordon poached nifo nifo who played in 2nd's on the weekend

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

oxe7 said:
nah josh keil used to play for rats 3 or 4 years back. Also Gordon poached nifo nifo who played in 2nd's on the weekend

Yeah but Keil didn't come directly from the rats so it's not a 'poach'.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

In any case, the game was a dire example of what happens when you play for counterattack rugby. Some shocking handling skills on display too.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

AussieDominance said:
Keil is no poach.... Came back from overseas???

Thomas the Gordon openside I hate to admit it started at the Rats. But you poached Beau happy to trade back 1 or 2 for beau?

Keil is a poach. Going on the Manly ferry a few times does not qualify as going overseas.

OK, maybe playing for the Rats 2 years ago raised his profile so much that he got a gig offshore, but any former Rats player who ends up playing for another Sydney club is a poach, pure and simple.

On the other hand: when an player from another club wants a chance to elevate himself and manages to get into the Rats 1st grade team, it is a career move by the player and a strategic acquisition by the Rats. Makes sense to me.

Beau Robinson? He mistakenly wanted to play for another club but they had too many imports so the Rats, who had managed their affairs better, gave him a chance. He did OK, even made the 1st grade team and improved so much that they made him captain. Beau has become a reasonable player now that he's in the right environment.

AussieDominance - stop talking up Gordon. If there is anything that gets up my nose is a poster who goes of the top talking about his club. Geez - the bias.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Did I tell you guys that having grown up (and played rugby) in the areas of Gordon, Manly, Norths, Eastwood, Easts, Uni, Randwick, Pirates, and finally Emus, I have decided to support my "club of origin".

Hint: Chatswood U9s.

I think that might make the Highlanders the most supported club on the forum? Only naza could possibly support Easts.

Status
Not open for further replies.