• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Re: 2009 Shute Shield

Sydney Uni 29 Eastwood 17 FT at TG Milner.

The Woodies made life difficult for Uni with quality pilfering by their loose forwards and determined defence across the park. Uni's superior strength in contact was the difference.

McCaffrey, the Eastwood #8, looks good. He's only 19 and needs to fill out more but is raw boned and aggressive.
Phil Waugh was poor. I've bashed his S14 form but I never expected him to struggle at club level. If I were Damon Hill, I'd be picking Jono Jenkins.
Matt Dunning played the full 80 minutes. He looks quite trim but could do with another 3-4 games before rejoining the Wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Dunning did very well against Jerry Y

McCalum (sp?) for Uni lookrd good as well, a shame he has just signed for the Force.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Went to Rat Park yesterday and Warringah won 105-0. Wait a minute - that was the women's result.

The Rats men won and I think it was 27-0, but don't quote me.

Sheehan was terrific as you would expect at this level and his past history in the comp. He sneaked over two tries that the opponents knew he was going to attempt, but they couldn't stop him.

Pat McCabe was back for the Rats replacing one of the twins Maurice Kennedy and I saw a rough head in the Rebels lineout that looked familiar and it was Jarrod Heaney, obviously back from Japan. Spoke to Clint Eadie in the tunnel and asked him when he's back for us but he said he's not allowed to play - he's running the water and is going back in 3 weeks.

Pek Cowan was listed at playing 3 but he played LHP for the whole game. He had his work cut out too because he had Shepherdson against him in the 1st half and young Daniel Palmer from the Waratahs against him in the 2nd half. He did OK too but geez, Palmer has a big presence in the scrum for a young THP.

The other bit of news about the game for Tahs fans was the performance of Josh Holmes at 12. He did OK last week there, but apart from Sheehan he was the best player on the park yesterday: timing his pass so that it was neither to late nor too early and managing the defence to be where he wanted them to be for his support player. Had a few good runs on his own account too. Hasn't lost his teenage speed.

He may make a 5-2 split in the reserves more likely for Hickey next year.

Watched my replay of the TV match of the day and it's good to see Tuckie back and causing grief at THP. In the paper this morning they said that Dunning was after a one year deal with the Tahs and that he wanted to play for the 5th Super team thereafter, but it was no deal. So he is going to the Force on a 2 year deal. That's good for Oz rugby but it may have been better for him to go to a 5th team in 2011.

I heard commentator Papworth mention that Fava had a sore back and he should know as the Eastwood President but my mail is that he has a stretched nerve in his left leg, and that the medicos have no clue as to when it will be right.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

naza said:
Phil Waugh was poor. I've bashed his S14 form but I never expected him to struggle at club level.

Yeah it was sad to watch. Then he mouthed off at the ref which made it look even worse.

I have to say though, for guys who play for the strongest club in the comp, Stumbles and Trist are two of the worst backs I've seen in Premier rugby. Can either of them actually pass? Trist's boot isn't bad but he couldn't hit his own arse with his hand.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

for those interested, the S14 contracted players for this week

REPRESENTATIVE PLAYERS FEATURED THIS ROUND

HSBC Waratahs: Matt Dunning (Eastwood), Ben Batger (Eastwood), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Sekope Kepu (Randwick), Ratu Nasiganiyavi (Randwick, reserve), Lote Tuqiri* (West Harbour), Timana Tahu* (West Harbour), Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs), Chris Thomson (Warringah), Beau Robinson (Warringah), Josh Holmes (Warringah), Dan Palmer (Southern Districts, reserve).

HSBC Junior Waratahs (Professional): Ben Coridas (Eastwood), Ben McCalman (Sydney University), Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), Steve Mafi (Parramatta).

Brumbies: Ben Hand (Eastwood), Jerry Yanuyanutawa (Sydney University), Alfi Mafi (Sydney University), Tyrone Smith (Manly), Huia Edmonds (Eastern Suburbs), Stephen Hoiles (Randwick), Patrick Phibbs (Randwick), Salesi Ma’afu (West Harbour), Nic Henderson (Southern Districts), Guy Shepherdson (Southern Districts).

Western Force: Chris O’Young (Eastwood), Richard Stanford (Eastern Suburbs), Drew Mitchell* (Randwick), Luke Holmes (Warringah), Pat O’Connor (Warringah), Brett Sheehan (Warringah), Haig Sare (Warringah), Josh Tatupu (Southern Districts).
* Wallaby squad member

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

yeah no cross species problems, they can get the original

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

fatprop said:
yeah no cross species problems, they can get the original

:) :) :) Randwick = The Green Swine. I like it.

I see that Manly are playing Eastwood at the Village Green in the TV match tomorrow. Have another look at their front row because they are pretty handy. THP James Lakepa has been around the Tahs system in his younger days; hooker Elvis Taione knows how to get opponents all shook up, but the big improver this year has been LHP Eddie Aholelei.

I wondered why last years Oz Schools LHP big unit, Salesi Mafu, hadn't got a look in for the Manly run on side and is stuck in 2nd Grade, but it's not hard to work out why. The mail is that the Tahs and Force are interested in 27 y.o. Eddie A; so watch this space. It will be interesting to see how he goes against Dunning the Eastwood THP.

Cliffy Palu wanted to play in the game for Manly, after his hand injury had healed, but the Tahs officials wouldn't let him. They reckoned he might have been injured because he hadn't done any physical training sessions for a while.

Have another look at Manly fullback Adam Darcy too. The Force are definitely interested in the try scoring and goal kicking whiz.

The Rats are playing Northern Suburbs at NSO; so good luck on the cricket pitch lads. Brock McGarrity is back. He had played 1st grade for the Rats last year at 18 but was poached by the Dragons for their Toyota Cup league team this year. He was doing OK apparently but injured his shoulder. His replacement did so well that they dumped him. Healthy again, he is back in rugby in the same season he was playing league.

20 y.o. John Kennedy, who was dropped for McGarrity, has been doing nothing too wrong but he plays an open game and coach McKee wants to try a flyhalf who has a bit more control in his makeup. Ironically, Kennedy was another NSW Schools rugby player poached by the Dragons.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
The other bit of news about the game for Tahs fans was the performance of Josh Holmes at 12. He did OK last week there, but apart from Sheehan he was the best player on the park yesterday: timing his pass so that it was neither to late nor too early and managing the defence to be where he wanted them to be for his support player. Had a few good runs on his own account too. Hasn't lost his teenage speed.

So he's become a good player again in your opinion now that he's eligible for the Tahs?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Spook said:
Lee Grant said:

So he's become a good player again in your opinion now that he's eligible for the Tahs?

Spook

Holmes is played at 12, in a 2/5 role. He is still a soft cock

Sheehan is the 9.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Spook said:

He's become a good 12 in club rugby whatever Super14 team he plays for. If you were just making a smart-arse comment, fair enough - I've made a few of those myself - but if you doubt that he is playing well at inside centre at the club level try to catch a few Rats games and see if you agree, or not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

WEST HARBOUR V GORDON at Concord Oval (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)

West Harbour: 1.Campese Ma’afu, 2. Todd Pearce, 3. Salesi Ma’afu; 4. Damien Lloyd, 5. Andrew Clyne; 6. Isaiah Pine [c], 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Pelea Afu; 9. Steve Massey, 10. Jai Ayoub; 11. Lote Tuqiri, 12. Metui Maile, 13. Timana Tahu, 14. Tito Mua; 15. Dave Paurini.

Gordon: 1.Tobius Gukibau, 2. Nath Nicol, 3. Marty Plokstys; 4. Ed Gower [c], 5. Kingsley Seale; 6. Paulie Tuala, 7. Craig Thomas, 8. Viliame Ratu; 9. Vinnie Byrne, 10. Josh Kiel; 11. Terry Preston, 12. Mark Preston, 13. Matt McDougall, 14. Dane Haylett-Petty; 15. Dave Harvey.

Referee: Steve Walsh

Match of the day for tomorrow, so we should get a good understanding of how Lote is going.

Is the the kiwi "Steve Walsh"?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Lee Grant said:
the big improver this year has been LHP Eddie Aholelei.

It will be interesting to see how he goes against Dunning the Eastwood THP.

From where I was sitting, it looked to be a points decision to Manly's scrum

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Was at Gordon v West Harbour on Saturday and noticed a certain Sam Wykes walking around... Signed for Wests??Gordon???

Would be sad to not see him playing for his struggling junior club Parra...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Went to see the Green Swine beat the Rats 19-13 at Coogee Oval (HT 13-10)

It was a cracking match and there wasn't a lot in it, but I gotta say that the GGs deserved the win. But play that game at Rat Park and the result might have gone the other way.

We're getting some good quality games now that the S14 players are back, but not all the good players were Super guys - under-rated players such as 7. Rodney Voullaire and 4. Steve Brennan had terrific games for the Wicks. Even Tim Walsh, one of the worst players to play Super rugby, when the Reds were playing musical flyhalves, had a top game.

Rory Sidey is back in town.. He had a year at the Newport Dragons and has to make a decision whether to accept a 2 year contract, or not. He said he was after a 1 year deal in order to be available for the 5th Oz Super team in 2011; so it's a hard choice for him.

Beau Robinson, who had another good club game against Randwick as the Rats captain, still can't get an Oz Super contract.

He said: "There's absolutely nothing for me in Australia, so I'll be looking overseas. Hopefully a couple of doors might open when the 5th team comes into Australia."

People who say we don't have the players to start a quality 5th Super team are right if they are talking about starting it up soon. But if there was enough lead time players like Robinson and Sidey would be knocking at the door for a 5th team gig and there would be a bit of choice.

In practice, a new Oz team will have to pick those who are contractually available for their 1st season and it will be tough for a year or two; but the player pool will grow. A lot of players who would have gone overseas but for the opportunity to play pro rugby at home, will stay here and a few who have gone offshore will return home because there are more spots.

But I digress.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

fatprop said:
WEST HARBOUR V GORDON at Concord Oval (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)
Referee: Steve Walsh
Is he the Kiwi "Steve Walsh"?

One and the same. He must be off the grog because he looks very fit and trim. If the ARU had any hand in Steve coming over here to restart his reffing career with a clean slate they should be heartily congratulated. Walsh was/is one of the better refs running around in world rugby; we can ill afford to lose blokes of his calibre to the game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Yeah - as I reported in the Schoolboys section - he refereed a trial game between Joeys and Shore weekend before last.

I hardly recognised him because he looked so trim.

I wish him well.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)

i thought steve had one a great game. really controled it well. wish all ref where like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.