• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
It was a rough day for the Highlanders at Chatswood. The students got away from both 3s and 4s. Grand finalists in the making there.

I had some really encouraging feedback from the uni 4th grade coaches. They stated the heart and challenge, while not reflected on the scoreboard, was as strong as they have had this year.

Off the field, the club showed that the back office is starting to hum with some great partnerships with UTS and the local Junior clubs.

Hopefully the CEO of UTS and Bill Pulver were impressed with the organization and execution of the first running of The Vice chancellors cup.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Didnt catch the 4's but saw the end of 3's and all of the rest - was a tough day but 2's showed up fairly well and it was just Uni's fitness that won that game really. 1's were up against it all game but the ref didnt help TC should have been given a yellow at least twice - only a matter of time before someone will take matters into their own hands. He really is a petulant, arrogant, dirty and unlikable player but I guess I wouldnt be saying that if he was playing for my team.
To be honest Gibbo I thought Saturday was a bit of a let-down - the touch game was utterly pointless and broke-up the day needlessly. Fair play for trying but nobody seemed to really care, no membership drive or in your face raffle selling, no real merchandise for sale and the less said about the catering the better. I know its only the start of the revolution but a bit more effort needed for a successful day in my opinion. Some clubs really sell themselves on game day and I felt Saturday was an opportunity missed for Gordon.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
GunnerDownUnder I get what you are saying. This year's focus has been on the key objectives. All the items that you have mentioned are important. The Club's three main priorities are recruitment and retention of players of all skill levels, Financial situation (through sponsorship) and reconnecting with the juniors.

So Saturday was about those things. The club's volunteers have been told to focus on those three things. This year is about doing those 3 things very well. if we can get those things humming along our volunteer base can start to work on the value added money spinners items like merch, membership etc.

If we attacked every single bullet point we would end up like the Waratahs 2 years ago, doing 30+ things poorly. I remember watching the Tahs against the Chiefs a few years back. Their on pre-game entertainment/merch/ground announcing was all a joke - they even had the wrong opposition team name on the score board - and they are a pro outfit.

We have to get the baseline humming along nicely to start with. If we stretch the current crop of volunteers too thin, we'll just end up putting band-aids on top of band-aids.
This is just my opinion and I'm not a big one for spin so feel free to call BS on me at anytime. Gibbo

#itwonthappenovernightbutitwillhappen

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
GunnerDownUnder I get what you are saying. This year's focus has been on the key objectives. All the items that you have mentioned are important. The Club's three main priorities are recruitment and retention of players of all skill levels, Financial situation (through sponsorship) and reconnecting with the juniors.

So Saturday was about those things. The club's volunteers have been told to focus on those three things. This year is about doing those 3 things very well. if we can get those things humming along our volunteer base can start to work on the value added money spinners items like merch, membership etc.

If we attacked every single bullet point we would end up like the Waratahs 2 years ago, doing 30+ things poorly. I remember watching the Tahs against the Chiefs a few years back. Their on pre-game entertainment/merch/ground announcing was all a joke - they even had the wrong opposition team name on the score board - and they are a pro outfit.

We have to get the baseline humming along nicely to start with. If we stretch the current crop of volunteers too thin, we'll just end up putting band-aids on top of band-aids.
This is just my opinion and I'm not a big one for spin so feel free to call BS on me at anytime. Gibbo

The old adage Gibbo, if everyone does the basics right, the scoreboard looks after itself.
On a side note, aheap of the junior boys played up on the central coast yesterday and from what I saw, exemplary behaviour and football from all. So hang on to these younguns mate ,

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)

Sorry Gibbo reread what I had written and it was bit negative, hopefully all your hard work pays off and the club goes from strength to strength. I gave up coaching a long time ago, it can be a thankless task at times - hope your enjoying it and the managing the stress levels!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well said Pete!
Not sure if you caught the games at coogee but 2nd grade who layed on the points in the second half featured regular 1st colts 5/8 Andrew Norton who carved up and regular colts 1st openside Jack Johnson who played strongly as well. Considering the colts are undefeated things are looking promising for the future.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Assuming you are talking about scholarships; does that mean Gordon would also have to give up their scholarship link with UTS?

Acknowledge the defect in the argument . To quote the Oils "who hands out equal rights - who starts and ends that fight" .

Its a never ending debate on this thread so I'll duck it for now at the risk of going over well rehearsed arguments by suggesting if they get the first two right - direct funding and access to Super 15 players it will become far less an issue. Uni's is a far more evolved programme and other clubs who have money in the bank won't give up their natural advantage ie; paying to attract players without a fight unless its solved . That and sending Tom Carter to play for Penrith :)

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Not sure if you caught the games at coogee but 2nd grade who layed on the points in the second half featured regular 1st colts 5/8 Andrew Norton who carved up and regular colts 1st openside Jack Johnson who played strongly as well. Considering the colts are undefeated things are looking promising for the future.

Depending on player allocation between grade and colts on the day although most likely all eligible colts will play at that level, the Manly v Randwick 2nd grade match in a few weeks may be very interesting indeed . Both clubs are currently undefeated in 2's and both have been blooding rising colts stars at that level. The next few weeks are shaping up as a real sorting phase at the top with Uni playing both clubs as well and no I'm not ignoring the form of Woods or Souths.....well maybe the latter's colts

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting to see how the clubs are going with player points at this time of year (see attached).

A couple of observations:
Uni only 18 points in 1st grade -- only 3 players with points!
Souths don't have much head room to fit returning S15 players into the team
Penrith 2nd grade has more points than 1st grade

Doesn't look like this system has much impact without the rep players

Attachments

• Player Points Round 8 2013.xlsx
    8.3 KB · Views: 283

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Building for a great weekend of rugby:
Tahs to shock the Crusaders on friday, Saturday watching a Beale inspired Randwick beat uni then over to the Nags Head to watch the Reds season crumble and the Lions Baa Baas game, then a Sunday trip up to Gosford for the Norths game.

northman91

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting to see how the clubs are going with player points at this time of year (see attached).

A couple of observations:
Uni only 18 points in 1st grade -- only 3 players with points!
Souths don't have much head room to fit returning S15 players into the team
Penrith 2nd grade has more points than 1st grade

Doesn't look like this system has much impact without the rep players

Can someone please explain how uni 1st grade only managed to total 18 player points after using the whole 23 players on Saturday against Gordon when Gordon's total was 30? How are so many of their players worth 0 points?

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Got to feel sorry for the regular Randwick 10 (is it still Toby Browne?) getting shafted for Beale in such a big game.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Can someone please explain how uni 1st grade only managed to total 18 player points after using the whole 23 players on Saturday against Gordon when Gordon's total was 30? How are so many of their players worth 0 points?

Remember "all other players" (ie basically non-rep players) are only worth 2 points and this is discounted 1 point per year for each year of service at the same club. Reserves don't count in the points total if they have played in a lower grade on the same day.

Liam Winton has 9 points, James Dargeville 8 and Byron Hodge 1 = 18. All other were zero.

Players tend to stay at Uni for many years (esp if they start in colts) so the loyalty discount system really works in their favour.

Note: Not saying I agree with the way the points are allocated, just explaining it!

Status
Not open for further replies.