• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is something to be said for stability in a team. If the Clubs top players are established early in the season, and they are kept injury free, then usually good things happen on the scoreboard.

Looking at just the back line stability in the run on squads as per the submitted team sheets for Shute Shield, some interesting trends can be observed.

Randwick: 28 backs, 2 Halfback, 4 Five Eighth, 7 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 5 Left Wing, 4 Right Wing, 2 Fullback
Eastern Suburbs: 26 backs, 2 Halfback, 3 Five Eighth, 5 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 4 Right Wing, 5 Fullback
Parramatta: 25 backs, 2 Halfback, 3 Five Eighth, 3 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 5 Left Wing, 4 Right Wing, 4 Fullback
West Harbour: 25 backs, 3 Halfback, 2 Five Eighth, 4 Inside Centre, 3 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 5 Right Wing, 5 Fullback
Penrith: 21 backs, 2 Halfback, 1 Five Eighth, 4 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 5 Right Wing, 2 Fullback
Gordon: 20 backs, 1 Halfback, 3 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 3 Right Wing, 4 Fullback
Northern Suburbs: 19 backs, 2 Halfback, 2 Five Eighth, 4 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 1 Right Wing, 3 Fullback
Southern Districts: 19 backs, 3 Halfback, 2 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 2 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 3 Right Wing, 4 Fullback
Manly: 18 backs, 2 Halfback, 3 Five Eighth, 3 Inside Centre, 3 Outside Centre, 3 Left Wing, 2 Right Wing, 2 Fullback
Sydney University: 17 backs, 1 Halfback, 2 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre, 4 Left Wing, 1 Right Wing, 3 Fullback
Eastwood: 16 backs, 3 Halfback, 2 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 3 Outside Centre, 1 Left Wing, 3 Right Wing, 2 Fullback
Warringah: 13 backs, 2 Halfback, 2 Five Eighth, 3 Inside Centre, 2 Outside Centre, 2 Left Wing, 1 Right Wing, 1 Fullback

Looking at the triumvirate of 10, 12, 13 as the key backs, the team sheets reveal:

Randwick: 15 key backs (4 Five Eighth, 7 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
Eastern Suburbs: 12 key backs (3 Five Eighth, 5 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
Northern Suburbs: 10 key backs (2 Five Eighth, 4 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
Parramatta: 10 key backs (3 Five Eighth, 3 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
Gordon: 9 key backs (3 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
Manly: 9 key backs (3 Five Eighth, 3 Inside Centre, 3 Outside Centre)
Penrith: 9 key backs (1 Five Eighth, 4 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
West Harbour: 9 key backs (2 Five Eighth, 4 Inside Centre, 3 Outside Centre)
Sydney University: 8 key backs (2 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 4 Outside Centre)
Eastwood: 7 key backs (2 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 3 Outside Centre)
Warringah: 7 key backs (2 Five Eighth, 3 Inside Centre, 2 Outside Centre)
Southern Districts: 6 key backs (2 Five Eighth, 2 Inside Centre, 2 Outside Centre)

With most clubs hovering around 10 players used in these 3 key backline positions after 12 rounds, it is perhaps understandably why Beasts (12) and Wicks (15) have struggled to get their backline to perform this season.

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
Also good to see Manlys cash splashing and stockpiling (Treweek in 2s) destroying the Shute Shield

I browse this forum for the past year and a half. My grandchildren thought it would be good to give pops a device with internet access. I have never felt the need to post but this bozo has made me change my mind. His opinion of my beloved Marlins made me want to share my memories of the club. Destroying the shute shield? Pal its clubs like these that make the shute shield so great. You made my old blood boil champ (lucky my pills are on hand) and my few grey hairs stand.

I remember my old man taking me down to Manly Oval when I was young. Id sit there while he would smash down about a case of Resches beer (bloody gods piss that stuff, drunk it like water). Watching wallabies such as Mossap made me excited to grow up and play for the mighty Marlins. I made my colts debut aged 14 as it was pretty normal in those days and played 80 odd colts games. Training those days consisted of a couple of laps of the oval then straight to the pub (Resches of course). I remember us battling though. I remember having to play multiple grades every Saturday. Jeez the nights were good though with no rsa in those days. I remember one day we bloody didn’t leave the club until Wednesday . Think we drank the place clean of Resches. Played some good footballers though such as Price and some other wallabies like Catchpole. Cant run without legs I always say.

My young felllers then played for the mighty Marlins, one a handy hooker who was overweight and couldn’t throw. Coulda been a wallaby though without bloody politics. The other a average backrower or secondrower who unfortunately heart was never in it and just ended up a lower grader mainly in 3s. He loved the culture though. Hope my grandkids and soon great grandkids grow up and play for the mighty marlins like their pop. Cant get down to support the boys anymore which is sad due to shotty knees and old age problems. Shame. Love it when the mighty marlins play on ABC, glad to see ABC supporting the mighty shute shield, jeez I remember when ABC was first started shows my bloody age.

Sorry for my first post being a bit of a waffle, and sorry for any errors, hard to type with arthritis (nothing a scooner doesn’t fix). Just cant stress enough how much I love my marlins. Killing the shute shield? Mate if you said that to me at the pub it would bloody be goodnight for you. Thanks for having me guys and go the marlins

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I browse this forum for the past year and a half. My grandchildren thought it would be good to give pops a device with internet access. I have never felt the need to post but this bozo has made me change my mind. His opinion of my beloved Marlins made me want to share my memories of the club. Destroying the shute shield? Pal its clubs like these that make the shute shield so great. You made my old blood boil champ (lucky my pills are on hand) and my few grey hairs stand.

I remember my old man taking me down to Manly Oval when I was young. Id sit there while he would smash down about a case of Resches beer (bloody gods piss that stuff, drunk it like water). Watching wallabies such as Mossap made me excited to grow up and play for the mighty Marlins. I made my colts debut aged 14 as it was pretty normal in those days and played 80 odd colts games. Training those days consisted of a couple of laps of the oval then straight to the pub (Resches of course). I remember us battling though. I remember having to play multiple grades every Saturday. Jeez the nights were good though with no rsa in those days. I remember one day we bloody didn’t leave the club until Wednesday . Think we drank the place clean of Resches. Played some good footballers though such as Price and some other wallabies like Catchpole. Cant run without legs I always say.

My young felllers then played for the mighty Marlins, one a handy hooker who was overweight and couldn’t throw. Coulda been a wallaby though without bloody politics. The other a average backrower or secondrower who unfortunately heart was never in it and just ended up a lower grader mainly in 3s. He loved the culture though. Hope my grandkids and soon great grandkids grow up and play for the mighty marlins like their pop. Cant get down to support the boys anymore which is sad due to shotty knees and old age problems. Shame. Love it when the mighty marlins play on ABC, glad to see ABC supporting the mighty shute shield, jeez I remember when ABC was first started shows my bloody age.

Sorry for my first post being a bit of a waffle, and sorry for any errors, hard to type with arthritis (nothing a scooner doesn’t fix). Just cant stress enough how much I love my marlins. Killing the shute shield? Mate if you said that to me at the pub it would bloody be goodnight for you. Thanks for having me guys and go the marlins

Well said - 3rd tier / rugby at its best.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
I browse this forum for the past year and a half. My grandchildren thought it would be good to give pops a device with internet access. I have never felt the need to post but this bozo has made me change my mind.

How good's that??? Old Head Snakey Heher certainly puts a good story together.
You join in whenever you want to Old Fella, the young blokes on this forum seem to put up with us Old Farts. And there are quite a few explosive types that won't take any crap - so you are in good company.
I reckon Dave Beat would love to see you at a Marlins home game at some time. Might even get into the dressing rooms to talk to the young Whippersnappers before the match :)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Oh ffs you are joking aren't you? Everything he says has zero credibility and he makes no case for the club apart from the fact he had a few beers in his day. That post should be reported for spam its a disgrace.

The question was raised earlier - how come your still here?

His post made reference to all things great about rugby, they apply whether you knocked around in sub districts, or whether your a retired test veteran.
I have reviewed your posts, he provides greater contribution in one paragraph than you do in all yours put together (0). His likes have already destroyed your miserly total of 1,would be interested to see the tally come morning.
9 - 1

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
The stats from HJ again very informative and appreciated . Uni's stability and improving results despite the absence of goodness knows how many are still the the team most likely even though I'm daring to dream for the Mighty Resch's Marlins :) . Got to hand it to the Rats - if they can keep it going the derby replay might see more through Rat Park gate than Manly Oval . That'll help the bank balance - a few more Pirates can then be purchased for the northern beaches in 2015 turnoverchiponyourshoulder!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

A wonderful post Snakey (and this is from a Rats fan).

I have a sneaky regard for the Marlins setup and there is some glimmering that the Rats are getting their act together too.

I think we need more clubs doing what the Marlins are
doing now and what Southern Districts started a couple of years ago—not fewer.

The Two Blues also seem to have a core of excellent cadres to lift their club. Others could say something similar about other organisations.

Some of the improvement in the clubs is due to more money being available for them but I bet their best resource is their people.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Some of the improvement in the clubs is due to more money being available for them but I bet their best resource is their people.
Without doubt, the most salient point on the thread.
I have on occasions been critical of both Uni & Manly.
But there is no doubt in my mind that they are two of the most hardworking clubs in the comp.
It's no surprise that hard work is reflected in results.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
OldHeadSnakeyheHer - you have ruined my night. I can't work out which of your two classic comments to use as a permanent quote. It's either
I remember one (Satur)day we bloody didn’t leave the club until Wednesday
or
a handy hooker who was overweight and couldn’t throw. Coulda been a wallaby though.

Thanks for the laughs, memories, and a shared love of rugby.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A wonderful post Snakey (and this is from a Rats fan).

I have a sneaky regard for the Marlins setup and there is some glimmering that the Rats are getting their act together too.

I think we need more clubs doing what the Marlins are
doing now and what Southern Districts started a couple of years ago—not fewer.

The Two Blues also seem to have a core of excellent cadres to lift their club. Others could say something similar about other organisations.

I think Randwick are also working towards their own strategic plan too. Led as I understand it by Simon Poidevin, it includes a greater collaboration with schools (Scots College) and University (UNSW).

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I've never really understood the criticism of clubs for being successful. Whether it be Randwick in the past, Uni and Eastwood over the last 10 years, Manly now. As long as they're operating within the rules that exist at the time, the other clubs (and supporters) should be prepared to learn from what they've done and appreciate what they've achieved. When Manly thrashed the Wicks a couple of weeks ago I was in awe of their strength across the grades and full of admiration for the style of play and professionalism of the players. Sure I was disappointed, but I couldn't help but enjoy the support play and skills of the players. We have to move on from this ridiculous criticism that this club or that club are ruining the game by having more money than other clubs. They don't have more money because they won the lottery -- in most cases it's because they have dedicated people working very hard to attract sponsors etc. The days of the best players playing their whole careers for one club are over. Players will change clubs for a whole variety of reasons, money only being one of them. My only criticism is levelled at the NSWRU and SRU for not doing enough with the player points system to try to spread the talent more evenly across the clubs. Let's face it --- the majority pf players would rather be playing for a club that has a chance of winning every week and which is professionally run.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I've never really understood the criticism of clubs for being successful.

Coach, what is good now though - the majority of clubs / people are now striving / seeing the successful clubs as a goal. And it is now the minority that are complaining and whinging.
Take Penrith for example they are working hard to make things happen, take that colts player who got barred - they are trying to turn bad into good - start of the season there were posts "is the trip out west worth it / now they have received letters from various clubs saying - "thank you"

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think having a good GM can go along way in success at a club. As we have seen with Belly at two blues and the turn around there. Out of curiosity can anyone else inform me of the full time GMs in the Shute Shield? Ones that I know of are Luke Holmes (Warringah), Nick Ryan (Randwick), Belly (Parramatta), Sydney Uni obviously. Is Eastwood or Manly's full time? Do Southern Districts have a fulltime one? Wests? Gordon?

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)

Here here.

Or should I say Heher Heher?

Great post, really harkens back to my days of knocking around the Randwick Reserve watching the Gallopers get home, and thoroughly enjoying a few ales afterwards.

Of course, prohibition came along and ruined all of this, so I shut up shop and moved to Canberra with the bride, with the intent of starting my own local rugby powerhouse, albeit in a smaller pond. I handed over the reigns long ago as my mind (and hair!) was no longer up to the task, but safe to say it makes an old bugger proud to see the Vikings putting a team into NRC.

I'll be up that way for a couple of the games Snakey, we'll catch up for a beer old mate.

T

turnovertwopasses

Having a can of Carlton and watching the replay of the Rats and the Wicks from Saturday! Love a good game of rah rah! Happy Wednesday all!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Unfortunately it was off cameras but it appeared from the small part of the Manly scrum still visible that the back of the scrum was breaking off under pressure which is probably why it was a penalty try. If the 8 hadn't knocked on it would have been a try anyway. Just my way of reasoning why it was awarded a penalty try.
Thats the Rammie in you Aussie!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.