• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly Marlins seem to be the standouts for mine. Am tipping Manly V Woodies with the Marlins getting the title.
Thanks for your confidence, only 4 rounds in and a lot of work to do.
Your just diverting the attention Macca.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Tipping the Wicks to win the comp and beat the Woodies in the final.

Important to note that the Wicks were smashed by Manly in the trials and by Eastwood in the first round. We have then beaten West Harbour, Warringah and Parramatta. The first 2 have won 1 game each and Parra is yet to win a game. Wicks play Penrith and Easts over the next 2 weeks and would hope to win both, but then meet Uni, Manly and Souths. Let's see how we're going after those 3 games.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Important to note that the Wicks were smashed by Manly in the trials and by Eastwood in the first round. We have then beaten West Harbour, Warringah and Parramatta. The first 2 have won 1 game each and Parra is yet to win a game. Wicks play Penrith and Easts over the next 2 weeks and would hope to win both, but then meet Uni, Manly and Souths. Let's see how we're going after those 3 games.

Man were we ordinary yesterday. Shades of 2010.......

:(

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Man were we ordinary yesterday. Shades of 2010...

:(

Sorry to hear that Belly. The Two Blues were OK in the trials. Can I humbly suggest that you have a look at fitness. I guess that wouldn't have made a difference as they were down lots after 30 minutes however I did notice the forwards may have been a bit chubby and may have struggled with the speed of the game. They are a better team than the recent results suggest IMO.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thommo's match report, MTB V Wicks

First Grade are running south with a Randwick kick off. The teams are evenly balanced and for Parramatta to win they need to cut the errors. We are then penalised for not rolling away in front of our goal posts. We gift Randwick 3 points. Randwick 3 Parramatta 0. From the lineout centre Tukia Muli splits Randwick’s defence with a strong run. Captain Andrew Cox then gives the worst pass ever to a flying winger as the ball goes along the ground and into touch. Parra take a tight head on the half way line and spread right. Parramatta penalty for Randwick not releasing the ball. Natahan Langsford kicks for touch. Nathan has been getting settled in Reserve Grade after his arrival from across the ditch. I don’t where Belly finds these players, but he’s found another good one. Parra turn the ball over as Andrew Cox intercepts the ball and has 70 metres to score. Andrew is away but is 10 metres to slow. He is caught and pulverised into the ground. Parra display great strength on their line as Parra force a turn over. Parra scrum on our 5 metre. Nathan Langsford takes a clearing kick to the 35. Randwick lineout. They spread left then right as the stocky Randwick Number 8 finds a hole in our defence and scores between the posts. Randwick 8, Parra 0. (Failure to tackle). At this point I ask Reserve Grade Coach Steve Tuckwell why Randwick always seems to have a 3 man over lap and we are always stretched. He said it is because Randwick runs straight lines and hold their space while we crab sideways which compresses our defence.

From the kick return Randwick go left as the Number 12 punches a hole through our back line. The lesson from this is that the backs shall never get the ball until our forwards go forward to the advantage line. Randwick 15, Parra 0. From the next kick Woodsy knocks on and is hammered for this efforts. The understatement by his wife Mel is “He won’t do that again!!” Parra are starting to come unstuck as the Randwick winger scores. Randwick 22, Parra 0. Not to be out done the opposite Randwick winger scores. Randwick 29, Parra 0. With 9 minutes to half time, Evan Olmstead and Andrew Cox bring down the ball from 2 great lineouts . Parra holds the ball for 6 phases before we knock on. We go to half time 29-0.

The half time break has not assisted us as the Randwick fly half steps through our defence and scores virtually at will. Randwick 34 Parra 0. It is not long before Randwick is in again in the right corner in front of the grandstand. Randwick 39, Parra 0. The wheels have fallen off our defence, another soft try. Randwick 44 Parra 0. It is a terrible performance. We need to concentrate and defend. Randwick spread left. Randwick 53, Parra 0. Gerrard starts sending out replacement troops as Parra attacks the Sydney try line. Prop Nigel Vaifale runs right with 2 backs outside him unmarked and dies with the ball, knocks on over the line and we’ve bombed it. Are we ever going to score? We might have played poorly but we have always had tries in us. Randwick scrum. The question is asked again, Can we score? We only have 4 minutes to go. Randwick scrum 5 metre out. The ball is turned over as Lock Seva Rokobaro crashes over for a try from the ruck. Tom Wood converts. Final Score Randwick 53 Parra 7.

As a club we need to start to look at ourselves and question what we are doing. Our structures are in place. We have a strong coaching staff right across the club. We are financially sound and have a strong board. We have a strong playing group with no one wanting to lose. Next Saturday we play the premiers Eastwood at home. Eastwood and Sydney University are the only teams we haven’t beaten in the last 6 years. I am a great believer in the advantage that you are only good as your last game. Eastwood will believe they can beat us across all grades. We have to prove them wrong. As a playing group we are strong. Play for your mate standing next to you. Don’t let him down. It is all about physicality and belief. As a club next Saturday let’s make it a club rule: No ball is passed to the backs until the ball is taken forward and we are dominating up front.

All of us must have the hunger and desire to win. No one can score a try without legs. Rugby is a team sport, nobody is going to win for you unless you go forward and put the opposition on the ground.

Remember: “All it takes is all you’ve got.”

See you at the footy

5_img_9901e.jpeg

Thommo

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
I wanna go with Manly but I just can't after their prelim exits the last two years. Head says Manly, sick of Eastwood, can't back Uni for obvious reasons so I'm guna go with the Wicks. They must be on the verge of a good era... They've had good colts sides the past couple of years including the title last year?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I wanna go with Manly but I just can't after their prelim exits the last two years. Head says Manly, sick of Eastwood, can't back Uni for obvious reasons so I'm guna go with the Wicks. They must be on the verge of a good era. They've had good colts sides the past couple of years including the title last year?
Uni will struggle badly without their previous "name' players. We lack punch in the forwards - but - the coaching staff are A+ and they will compete. The Colts are doing well and so it is not quite "The Rise and Fall of the Buildcorp Empire" but in honesty, I reckon it is Eastwood again, with Randwick chasing up the tail with their awesome Colts this year moving forward. Up the Students.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Souths put 36 on Easts before HT without Ben Volavola. Easts had Tala Gray and Jono Lance too. Not sure why people aren't mentioning them up there with Manly/Eastwood.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
After 4 rounds, Souths and Eastwood look the teams to beat. IMO, Manly are not looking as good as last year despite their 4 wins to start the year. I feel their pack is not as dominant - has the loss of Peterson actually been more significant than expected, their scrum hasn't seemed to be an advantage and their midfield hasn't looked as powerful. However what they have lost in midfield power has been offset by gains in skill.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Souths put 36 on Easts before HT without Ben Volavola. Easts had Tala Gray and Jono Lance too. Not sure why people aren't mentioning them up there with Manly/Eastwood.
Surprises me to, Souths have allot of talent.

After 4 rounds, Souths and Eastwood look the teams to beat. IMO, Manly are not looking as good as last year despite their 4 wins to start the year. I feel their pack is not as dominant - has the loss of Peterson actually been more significant than expected, their scrum hasn't seemed to be an advantage and their midfield hasn't looked as powerful. However what they have lost in midfield power has been offset by gains in skill.
I'd say a fair interpretation, I'd like to see us manage the last 15 better - lift with fresh legs, rather than the fresh legs needing 5 - 10 minutes to work into the game.

Id prefer to be placed where we are this year than last year - Manly have a heap of room for improvement and gel to game plans, + as you said last year we had power this year we have skill, but can also take the power approach.

I think this year some of the mid ground teams might take a game or two way from the teams at the top, just on the 4 rounds to date;
Southern on just got over the Rats;
The rats only just got over Nths;
Manly just got over Easts;
Easts just got over Uni.
Eastwood didn't put a huge score as i expected on Wests.
Eastwood V Gordon with 20 to go was still close.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Uni will struggle badly without their previous "name' players. We lack punch in the forwards - but - the coaching staff are A+ and they will compete. The Colts are doing well and so it is not quite "The Rise and Fall of the Buildcorp Empire" but in honesty, I reckon it is Eastwood again, with Randwick chasing up the tail with their awesome Colts this year moving forward. Up the Students.

I find it interesting that you mention the coaching staff as A+? Malone has had the best resources in the competition at his disposal in what is his 3rd or 4th season in charge and he still can't win the competition?

I know Uni players expect to win and so they should with the resources the program they run has to offer.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
I find it interesting that you mention the coaching staff as A+? Malone has had the best resources in the competition at his disposal in what is his 3rd or 4th season in charge and he still can't win the competition?

I know Uni players expect to win and so they should with the resources the program they run has to offer.

Interesting point this one, Yes they have the resources, and a large pool of the professionals who flood back in post super rugby, but the area Sydney Uni has slipped up is their colts recruitment. Manly & Randwick, and to a lesser extent, Southern Districts and Eastwood are now starting to make up some ground.

As the older brigade start moving on, these colts move through to grade. Uni are not the power house in the clots they used to be, and don't have the immediate luring power and this is where they are starting to hurt more then they have in the past.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Surprises me to, Souths have allot of talent.

I'd say a fair interpretation, I'd like to see us manage the last 15 better - lift with fresh legs, rather than the fresh legs needing 5 - 10 minutes to work into the game.

Id prefer to be placed where we are this year than last year - Manly have a heap of room for improvement and gel to game plans, + as you said last year we had power this year we have skill, but can also take the power approach.

I think this year some of the mid ground teams might take a game or two way from the teams at the top, just on the 4 rounds to date;
Southern on just got over the Rats;
The rats only just got over Nths;
Manly just got over Easts;
Easts just got over Uni.
Eastwood didn't put a huge score as i expected on Wests.
Eastwood V Gordon with 20 to go was still close.
In fact Eastwood v Wests was 1 try each.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I'm fairly sure that Malone is in his third year of 1st grade Head Coach, and has been Director of Rugby as well this year after Jack Farrer left at the end of last year.
Interesting point this one, Yes they have the resources, and a large pool of the professionals who flood back in post super rugby, but the area Sydney Uni has slipped up is their colts recruitment. Manly & Randwick, and to a lesser extent, Southern Districts and Eastwood are now starting to make up some ground.

<snip>
Not sure that The Corporation has slipped in their Colts recruiting. They seem to do well with their recruiting as constrained as all clubs are by the player points cap system. It is more a case that (as advised by many on this forum) the other clubs have improved their programme on and off the field to match the standards set by The Corporation. This gives the School leavers some more choice.

I'd throw Northern Suburbs into the mix as another club that has reinvigorated their colts programme, and Gordon and The Mighty Two Blues have also achieved significant turn arounds of late.

For the past wee while, The Corporation have relied on returning Rock Stars from Super Rugby to make a difference at Finals time. Last year that didn't happen, looks like being the same this year as well, and for the next 3 years while the NRC runs. They have become a victim of their own success, losing many of the players they have <insert whatever word you like, depending on the strength of your Uni hate, such as "developed","poached","scholarshipped","recruited", etc> to Pro Rugby.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
It's a fair point you make maybe now the full effects of the point system are starting to help distribution of playing talent across the clubs especially at the main entry point in colts.

What year did the points system come into effect?

As previous to that some restrictions applied to signing players but weren't really that strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.