• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Well Dave asked what the Law was. Interpretation is a different matter. When I saw it, I immediately though ‘shit, that’s a penalty’.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Can you explain this further? I'm at a loss to understand what you mean.

The structure of Shute Shield is that there are a whole lot of (dedicated) social players still needing to be catered for. It's a great day out for friends, family and the die hard stalwarts. But ask anyone who doesn't have an abiding interest and it is seen as a high quality social sport.

It refuses, mostly due to it's cumbersome structure of 5+ teams, to change from traditional kick-off times. This completely excludes your major supporting base from ever turning out in sufficient numbers as they are all playing rugby at the same time. Just remember 3:00pm is kickoff for 40+ Subbies Clubs, AAGPS, CAS, ISA et al, meaning they can almost never make a game in person or watch it on TV.

The failed experiment of the ARC and the underwhelming NRC (due to lack of connection, not quality) were brought into existence because Shute Shield didn't grab the proverbial bull when they had the chance. Had they been willing to present themselves as a professional sport rather than a niche continuation of the Old Boys networks I doubt very much if Australian Rugby in general and Sydney Rugby in particular would be finding itself struggling as it does. Exhibit A - The removal of Penrith, Exhibit B - The sale of TG Milner.

Shute Shield easily has the quality to support itself as a professional competition. Sadly, it refuses to present itself as such. So those with the real money to put into the game at this level are unwilling because it looks like their money will be spent propping up 4th graders and 2nd grade Colts who will never draw a crowd large enough to justify the investment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Law 9.7 - Unfair play.
Can’t carry or throw ball into touch intentionally

Should have kicked it out but he carried it over the dead ball line.

the law stats the player can't intentionally "knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area".

Nothing about carrying.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Sure, but the law is interpreted like that and always has been?
Otherwise, why would players take the extra (handling error) risk of kicking the ball out at the end of a tight game?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Otherwise, why would players take the extra (handling error) risk of kicking the ball out at the end of a tight game?

so they don't get tackled and risk a turnover. I've seen plenty of players run across the sideline to finish a game/half.

There's nothing illegal about it.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Rugby news say Manly were on the wrong end of a reffereeing blunder.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
The structure of Shute Shield is that there are a whole lot of (dedicated) social players still needing to be catered for. It's a great day out for friends, family and the die hard stalwarts. But ask anyone who doesn't have an abiding interest and it is seen as a high quality social sport.

It refuses, mostly due to it's cumbersome structure of 5+ teams, to change from traditional kick-off times. This completely excludes your major supporting base from ever turning out in sufficient numbers as they are all playing rugby at the same time. Just remember 3:00pm is kickoff for 40+ Subbies Clubs, AAGPS, CAS, ISA et al, meaning they can almost never make a game in person or watch it on TV.

The failed experiment of the ARC and the underwhelming NRC (due to lack of connection, not quality) were brought into existence because Shute Shield didn't grab the proverbial bull when they had the chance. Had they been willing to present themselves as a professional sport rather than a niche continuation of the Old Boys networks I doubt very much if Australian Rugby in general and Sydney Rugby in particular would be finding itself struggling as it does. Exhibit A - The removal of Penrith, Exhibit B - The sale of TG Milner.

Shute Shield easily has the quality to support itself as a professional competition. Sadly, it refuses to present itself as such. So those with the real money to put into the game at this level are unwilling because it looks like their money will be spent propping up 4th graders and 2nd grade Colts who will never draw a crowd large enough to justify the investment.

I'm intrigued by your comments. But what do you suggest should happen?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I find I am completely happy to have been wrong about this.

I agree, we wuz robbed. Moral victory for the Marlins.

Season starts again, play 85 minutes of high quality rugby in A & D and anything is possible with that Marlins team. It comes down to playing a quality 85 3 games in a row.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Chased into the ingoal, and nonchalantly over the dead ball.
Yes he could of kicked it, or possibly grounded it, but there is still no penalty for running it dead.

Why wouldn't he just force it? These guys watch too much league and don't actually know what they should do.

Catch the ball or take it into in goal and put it on the ground and the game's over. Why take a chance on a referee error and run it dead? Dumb, perhaps shouldn't have been a penalty but dumb because he's created a chance for the referee to make a mistake when he didn't have to.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

A decade or so ago Warringah played at least some of their home games with 1sts starting at 7pm or 7.30pm and 2nds at 5 or 5.30 and so on. It's actually not a bad way to do things and also eliminates the early morning starts for the lower grades.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

I have discussed this at length in the past (see somewhere in the 2017 or 2018 thread). The crux of it is the Premier competition needs to be separated from the rest of the Club. How each Club manages this is their business.

It would require a complete rethink across all of Sydney Rugby to make sure we don't lose players from the game all together. The big issues raised by others on this forum have been where do you get reserves as players won't pay subs to ride the bench. My counter argument is that players who want to be seen as professional and play at the highest level will do whatever it takes. The other major argument is that it will change the Club Culture. Yes it will. But in an ever growing sports market combined with a social media driven shortened attention span, that culture is changing now and rugby's head in the sand approach is not helping.

Premier Rugby can then be played anytime between Friday night and Sunday Night. If you include a premier Colts, Women's or double header match at the same time then you'll get a greater turn out and people will feel like they get more value for money. And let's be honest, that's where we have to start. Hell, play to your base and offer free tickets to boarding schools and they can go out, for free, and each Club can get some decent crowds to build a following.....not to mention a recruiting option as the connection between school and club is made.

I agree there's a lot of issues to consider, and frankly, I have wasted more time than is healthy as a side hobby addressing them. It's just that a massive "white paper" on the subject can't be addressed on this site. The fact is it can be done, and should be done. Unfortunately the change is too much for some and when all the traditionalists are gone there'll be nothing left of the game as we know it because nobody thought ahead to transition properly.

seven wearing six

Allen Oxlade (6)
Will David Pocock pull on a Pirates jersey this weekend against Uni?
That's sure to draw a crowd to Concord - especially as it's a farewell to that ground and West Harbour are throwing a party.
Hope he does and heaps of fans get to say g'day.

Status
Not open for further replies.