• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2022

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
How good is another round of tight matches.
I watched the video of Tumut hosting Ag College. The defensive effort from the aggies was the most impressive part for mine. Their ability to chop the big Tumut ball runners was very impressive. Tumuts offloads made them difficult to contain but the aggies stuck to it.

liked the look for their 10,13 and the big tall winger.

I feel like Tumut will get better the more time Tate O'Donnovan as at flyhalf. He is a good player and clearly still on the road back from a bad injury. Fingers crossed they can keep building around him!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There’s a minute or something like that to go. Steamers score the try. Score will be Steamers 21 Blacks 20. We on the sideline feel dejected but sure. The ref isn’t certain because he’s unsighted. We have quite a young person being the AR of the 1st grade match. This is the decision that decides the match. The ref looks to the AR. So what you’re saying is that the young AR gets it right, says all good (which would be the correct decision) & the ref ignores her. Now that would be great for a young person’s confidence. We have a duty of care not to put young people in a position like that. I wonder whether a ref would have the same lack of confidence in a mature aged properly attired AR. You won’t hear anything from these blokes when litigation starts if serious injury occurs and questions start about the appropriate capacity of sideline officials.

If I ever meet you one day I'll tell you about a similar incident where I (Level 1 ref, Level 2 TJ) was the touchie in a VERY important match when the ref over-ruled me on a try scored. Would you believe some snooping spectator took a shot of the moment the point of the ball touched the white chalk, and posted it to a website during the following week. The ref was a first grade referee in Sydney grade rugby and wasn't a bit interested in consulting me, in his eyes the ball was held up. Our conversation at half-time was very terse, to say the least.

If the powers-that-be have the confidence to appoint a TJ to the job, for goodness sake trust her/him.

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think Lindommer people don’t recognise the job the touchy is doing. In this case the ref’s arrogance was the problem. In this zone we are short of refs but the one’s we have are good. The AR situation has been a struggle. This situation has led to some interesting scenarios. A couple of seasons ago some supporters from the Waratahs club were actually able to sight a player from a rival club. The ref didn’t see the incident and with a couple of fill in guys on the sideline there was no report from the ARs either. The judiciary called the guy in and gave him a monster. Maybe 12 weeks? Funny thing is the guy appealed. Mistaken identity. He wasn’t even involved in the tackle.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I think Lindommer people don’t recognise the job the touchy is doing. In this case the ref’s arrogance was the problem. In this zone we are short of refs but the one’s we have are good. The AR situation has been a struggle. This situation has led to some interesting scenarios. A couple of seasons ago some supporters from the Waratahs club were actually able to sight a player from a rival club. The ref didn’t see the incident and with a couple of fill in guys on the sideline there was no report from the ARs either. The judiciary called the guy in and gave him a monster. Maybe 12 weeks? Funny thing is the guy appealed. Mistaken identity. He wasn’t even involved in the tackle.

That was a stinker of an initial outcome from the judiciary wasn't it PB, and more then likely exposed a flaw in the process. I'm just glad that ACT rugby made it to the correct outcome. Certainly wasn't a clean process. I agree that with more qualified AR's this may not have occurred the same way. That is why I'm happy to trust in the process of Referee and AR development. Nobody in sport is perfect. We see that from the top and the way to grow is to learn from ones experiences, both positive and negative.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Mauler, SIRU, Brumbies & SIRRA can only do so much. Club members have to be responsible for the running of home days. To keep players safer, to ensure fairer games and because of litigation qualified ARs are needed. The world has changed Mauler. If someone wants to play amateur rugby they have to do more than turn up with their boots on Saturday.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Mauler, SIRU, Brumbies & SIRRA can only do so much. Club members have to be responsible for the running of home days. To keep players safer, to ensure fairer games and because of litigation qualified ARs are needed. The world has changed Mauler. If someone wants to play amateur rugby they have to do more than turn up with their boots on Saturday.
I’m well across the changing landscape of rugby in the bush. I’m heavily involved.
from what I’ve been told this young AR is a qualified AR and was appointed by SIRRA.

These young ARs are constantly learning. Just like players coaches and referees at all levels.
I agree that in a perfect world we have seriously experienced people in these positions. We need to use the processes in place to get to this point though.
I also agree that I’d love clubs to put big numbers of players through AR courses and have them appointed for matches. Can only help.

I’m only suggesting that I think there have been lots of assumptions here that have clouded the conversation

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Mauler I have no idea what assumptions you’re talking about. I was willing to let this go long ago. You’re heavily involved in what exactly? You keep bringing up the AR in the Albury v Griffith 1st grade game 1st round. Good on the young lady for getting in and having a go. To be fair could you say the person involved is officially an AR? Can you say the person involved was officially appointed by SIRRA to do that game? Stop saying I’m told.

Last edited:

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I’m well across the changing landscape of rugby in the bush. I’m heavily involved.
from what I’ve been told this young AR is a qualified AR and was appointed by SIRRA.

These young ARs are constantly learning. Just like players coaches and referees at all levels.
I agree that in a perfect world we have seriously experienced people in these positions. We need to use the processes in place to get to this point though.
I also agree that I’d love clubs to put big numbers of players through AR courses and have them appointed for matches. Can only help.

I’m only suggesting that I think there have been lots of assumptions here that have clouded the conversation
Mauler I have no idea what assumptions you’re talking about. I was willing to let this go long ago. You’re heavily involved in what exactly? You keep bringing up the AR in the Albury v Griffith 1st grade game 1st round. Good on the young lady for getting in and having a go. To be fair could you say the person involved is officially an AR? Can you say the person involved was officially appointed by SIRRA to do that game? Stop saying I’m told.
I’m not interested in arguing or bickering about it mate. I have a different opinion, nd that’s fine. Enjoy the season!

Bring on another round so we can talk about footy.

Any news on what game is the bar TV game this week?

Last edited:

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Here are my guesses for this week

BarTv match of the round. Im taking Waratahs to cover albury but i think it could be close. if sportsbet offered a line on this match i could take Albury +5.5 for a dabble.
Griffith to deal with tumut
City to do the same to leeton

in the ladies 10s
Tahs to beat Albury
City to beat leeton

and for the tipping group bonus match of Hurricanes vs Reds
Im taking the canes. but im not sure here

good luck all.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Yes looking forward to some footy again after Easter !

My thoughts on the weekend coming ?
Albury v Tahs : Good game for the bar tv mob and i think Tahs may just get the points . However i will not shed any tears if Albury rolls them . Tahs by 5
Griffith v Tumut : Griffith really have to stamp a bit of authority on this one i reckon. Tumut can be very difficult to beat down and i cant see that changing . Blacks to get away with it in second half by 13 plus
City v Leeton : A multitude of changes in the city squad from last start. Leeton looked able to push sides when i watched the TV game in round 1 with a fair bit pace wide. City , despite all the changes by 12 .

Ladies - im backing albury and city !

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Yes looking forward to some footy again after Easter !

My thoughts on the weekend coming ?
Albury v Tahs : Good game for the bar tv mob and i think Tahs may just get the points . However i will not shed any tears if Albury rolls them . Tahs by 5
Griffith v Tumut : Griffith really have to stamp a bit of authority on this one i reckon. Tumut can be very difficult to beat down and i cant see that changing . Blacks to get away with it in second half by 13 plus
City v Leeton : A multitude of changes in the city squad from last start. Leeton looked able to push sides when i watched the TV game in round 1 with a fair bit pace wide. City , despite all the changes by 12 .

Ladies - im backing albury and city !

i'll ask sportsbet for the market and we can both take albury +5.5 mate

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Griffith v Tumut game closer than score line suggests. Bulls dominated scrums until prop was injured near 1/2 time. Then there was uncontested scrums. Blacks are competent across the paddock but don’t really have that X factor player. Bulls will be hard to beat at home. Interesting game ahead Blacks v Tahs next week. Maybe the jump from 3rd grade to 1st grade is proving a big jump for Phantoms. Or maybe City are that far ahead of the rest of us.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Griffith v Tumut game closer than score line suggests. Bulls dominated scrums until prop was injured near 1/2 time. Then there was uncontested scrums. Blacks are competent across the paddock but don’t really have that X factor player. Bulls will be hard to beat at home. Interesting game ahead Blacks v Tahs next week. Maybe the jump from 3rd grade to 1st grade is proving a big jump for Phantoms. Or maybe City are that far ahead of the rest of us.

good wrap on the game PB. I thought the same watching Tumut play Ag college a few weeks back. Plenty of quality but missing the final touch.
It’s a scary drop off from Leetons performance in week 1.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Theres some pretty interesting games this week - Tahs v Griffith being the stand out . But the other two games probably will have more long term affects than the Tahs match.
Tahs have some quality players still in the ranks but dont seem to have the firepower up front that they used to. I think Griffith will take that game and take it by 9 plus.
Albury need a win - theyve pushed top3 sides to the brink and missed out on the points . I think they will be looking to reverse that against a struggling Bulls. Albury by 12
I think CSU could pull off an upset here. Ive also been wrong on a regular basis ! Both side need a win to stay in touch and force a fight for the lower part of the ladder. Reddies by 3

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I watched the livestream of the Albury v Waratahs game from the weekend. My view was that the Blue team seemed to be a smaller but more agile team that the Steamers, they made the most of their strengths on the day.

Albury may have had an edge at scrum time and I felt they had a bigger pack than the Tahs. The Steamers may be a little underdone in terms of fitness, but that will change over the season.

The Albury Steamer's brains-trust of Kora, Bright and Wheatley definitely have a wealth of experience in the coaching ranks there. I reckon they would be pleased with their team's showing in that game and probably disappointed they didn't come away from some more points.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Mitchell White is definitely out for Blacks and possibly Chris Latu. Griffith absolutely monstered Steamers in the scrum department so we (Blacks) might have an advantage there. Waratahs at home will be a different story than what we have faced so far in Steamers, Phantoms & Bulls. Reckon Waratahs might win. Definitely think Bulls will put it to Steamers. Haven’t seen Reddies or Aggies yet so don’t know about that one.

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fun and games on the bus trip.

Waratahs preparations for a big clash with Griffith have been thrown into disarray due to COVID.
A bus trip to Albury for their clash last week has proven costly with 17 players unavailable for the big clash at Conolly Rugby Complex on Saturday.
As such it has thrown coach Jonno Andreou's plans into disarray.
"We're trying to work through our numbers of what we have," Andreou said.
"We've got our first game of thirds on the weekend too just to make things more interesting."
George Mallat, Josh Gemmell, Harry Hayes, Dugald Grieve, Charlie Sykes, Harry Hosegood and Sibby Gee will all miss the clash against one of the three unbeaten teams in the competition.
"The Blacks are travelling well and it's even harder when there are 17 players that played the week before, when we only played two games, so that's a whole team that is out.
"We are going to be struggling."
It couldn't come at a worse time for the club who had a two-week break after round one and take on the other two undefeated teams, Griffith and Wagga City, in consecutive weeks.
"It's just frustrating when we are trying to get some continuity and all it takes is a silly bus trip to blow it out," Andreou said.
"Who knows what will happen."
Waratahs have taken two tight wins from as many games so far this season while Griffith are three from three.
While it is all fit hands on deck for Waratahs this week, Andreou believes the weekend offers another excellent opportunity for some new faces to make a name for themselves in the top grade.
"It definitely gives the club a good opportunity to give people who might potentially have not played first grade to play first grade," he said.
"That can only be a good thing."
Meanwhile Ag College and CSU are both back in action after two weeks off for their grudge match at Beres Ellwood Oval and both are looking to bring up their second win for the season.
Whereas Albury and Tumut are both chasing their first win when they face off at Murrayfield.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Tahs forfeit a grade due to Covid this week. I cannot in my time recall Tahs ever having to do that . Strange days indeed !