• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2022

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
My thoughts on the Red vs Green game on the weekend…

The crowd was smaller than I expected and the punters were lucky to walk away towards the end there as the postie bike mowed down some unsuspecting bystanders. Regardless, it was a cracking day for footy!

Reddies seemed to have a handle on the set piece, their scrum was a big improvement from what I can tell. I would have liked to see the pack go round with their starting #9 also.

Aggies we’re the more mobile of the two (no surprises there) and I feel were given some grace at the breakdown. Maybe they need some more polish there?

Neither backline was really able to dominate in any real sense. There seemed to be aome opportunities taken and plenty missed.

Aggies back row were their best, for CSU their front row was handy and both teams tried to use the ball at width but weren’t able to finish in many instances.

I reckon the 15-5 score line was flattering to Aggies, but I doubt that matters. A win is a win is a win right?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Reddies and Aggies ahve improved a great deal since last season . I perused the Tahs v Griffith game and was a little suprised by the result in all honesty. I expected a lot more from the Blacks but to be fair theyve been dealing with The Rona as well in the last week or so . As city are now enjoying that experience as well now !

Leeton v Aggies - i cant see the phantoms winning it but i suspect a home game and a bit of time to regroup will do them good. Aggies by 9-12
Reddies v Griffith - On paper this should be a blacks victory , but who knows ! I cant see Blacks playing as poorly as the first half last week . Reddies like a scrap no doubt ! But Blacks by 5 or so
City v Tahs - i look forward to this ! Tahs played bloody well in first half last week and looked dangerous with 'Greased Lightning' McTaggart at 9 and Day at 10. City will look to its physically bigger pack to win this game with the Tahs boys working real hard at set piece time. City by 1-12 .

Looking forward to some good rugby !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I've only seen the one live game this year and watch the Albury v Tahs game on replay.

Reddies deserved more points on the weekend, hopefully they pulled up well and can take a solid contingent into the game against Griffith.

Waratahs v City will be a corker, i'm keen to see the result of this one.

This round is always an interesting round, what impact does the Wagga Gold Cup have on the outcomes this weekend? :)

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
here is the blindfolded dart board toss for the week

1st grade
WAC
Griffith
City

ladies
WAC
Griffith
Tahs

Bonus game for the tippers
Queanbeyan to beat Gungahlin in the John I Dent Cup

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Well done to Reddies on the win over Griffith. From what I undertand there was a penalty try involved ? Either way definitely shakes the ladder around !

The other games went as many predicted. I think aggies must be starting to get a bit of form together now - thats 3 wins on the trot now and you'd have to say they would be gunning for Tahs this weekend . To give Tahs credit they have a horrendous injury toll at the moment and lost a few more in the loss on saturday.

With a bit of rain around late this week we might see a few wet tracks on saturday.

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
In the AFL at the moment people are asking who would you take to win the premiership in 2022 Melbourne or the field (the other 17 teams)?
Same could be asked in SIRU. Wagga City or the field?
I'll take City.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Whilst I appreciate the talk up of City and our chances , I feel its premature. Theres a lot of rugby left to be played and a lot of potential to go wrong for us. Injuries , suspensions and life may yet play its part. Granted we have had a good start to 2022 and we have an incredible positive vibe at the club with very strong numbers. Its a good place to be for the club.

I am looking forward to the first, first grade game since 2019 against Albury ! I think someone mentioned that the only club City hadn't beaten was Albury ? More importantly, I am looking forward to a quick schooner with The House at the Ringal after the match!

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
So Central, at this stage of the season what betting odds would you reckon would be fair odds about City winning the big dance - $1.50, $2.00 or $2.50?
$1.20 max.
And yes I agree Sportsbet would be paying out already.
I just can't see therm being challenged. Tahs may have only lost once but have only just won all their other games. Griffith, you just don't know what you are going to get. Will be interesting to see what resistance the Steamers can display.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
My fearless tips for this weekend coming ! I think the Aggies v Tahs game will be very important for both clubs and the clash at Tumut between the bottom two sides will give a massive boost to the winner of that one.

Tumut V Leeton - Hard to go past Tumut at home. Leeton numbers mean they are hard against it on the road so Tumut by 13+
Aggies v Tahs - Ive heard Tahs have a heap of injury issues and will have a few out. I think Aggies are a bit of a dark horse and will be right up for this game ! Aggies 1-12
City V Albury - City at home , got a few out but got a few back this week. Albury will be looking at the top 4 pretty hard and need a win to keep in contact with it. Close and controversial losses early didnt help them at all. City 1-12.

In the girls , Tahs too good and City to sneak home .

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Judging from above comments every team is going to struggle against City. Tumut & Leeton probably competing to avoid the spoon. Interest seems to be who is going to make semis. Waratahs will be there. Aggies will improve their chances markedly with a victory on Saturday.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
my dart board for the week.

Fellas
WAC to break the tahs hoodoo with their first win since 2015 over the old boys
CITY. Folklore has it that this will be the lollies first victory over Albury since 1979...
TUMUT to cover leeton by plenty. 13+ Please sportsbet

Ladies
WAC
CITY

bonus for the tippers amongst us
UNI NORTHS to go top in the john i dent cup

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I know uncontested scrums don’t constitute a forfeit if that situation eventuates once a game has started. Not sure if your team has to forfeit if you can’t contest scrums for the entirety of the match. Whole draw revolves around Hay. Whichever club plays Hay the rest of that club has to sit out. Not only that club but another whole club has no one to play either. Now that Leeton is falling over the situation is even more unworkable. However Reasoning, apparently this is how the clubs want the draw.

Last edited:

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I don’t know the answer at this stage. Some very hard conversations need to be had with all clubs around forfeits. I hope the zone is applying the $200 fine and deduction of points if forfeits happen after 10am friday.

if leeton are to continue to fail in their responsibilities on the road then I don’t think SIRU has any choice but to pull them. If they can field a team and contest scrums they have to stay in though. Getting pumped isn’t a reason to boot them.

on a positive note how good that Albury really tested city yesterday. 2 points in it late in the game. Perhaps not as conclusive as we all thought.

Aggies had a really impressive performance. Watching it seemed they were the more dangerous side and with some more composure could have won by a bigger margin. Some pushed passes and errors kept the game close. Tahs didn’t get out of their 22 for the last quarter of the match.

tahs heaps better with Hosegood back in and although looking sore from last week McTaggert plays better at 9 IMO.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
And seriously who thought a Leeton on the road game was a good TV game this week when you’ve got a local derby for a trophy and the top side in the zone against a team that’s playing significantly better than anyone thought.
Not a good advertisement

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I know uncontested scrums don’t constitute a forfeit if that situation eventuates once a game has started. Not sure if your team has to forfeit if you can’t contest scrums for the entirety of the match. Whole draw revolves around Hay. Whichever club plays Hay the rest of that club has to sit out. Not only that club but another whole club has no one to play either. Now that Leeton is falling over the situation is even more unworkable. However Reasoning, apparently this is how the clubs want the draw.
Nail on the head PB. Hay is the centre of this draw and it can’t happen again.
I was thinking back to the 2005 comp. 15 first grade teams. Not all with 2 or 3 grades but it was top down.
From then we’ve lost Condo, Coota, young, hay, temora, Grenfell, and west wyalong from the first grade comp.
the first grade draw was set and from there the rest was filled in. Two Wagga sides playing teams without 3 grade that week would be drawn against each other it wasn’t perfect, they never are but the attention was in the right spot. At the top

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Leeton are probably going to find it even more difficult in the next couple of rounds Mauler (have they got Steamers & Waratahs away). Could the draw be re organised with Hay becoming Leeton’s 2nd grade. Perhaps Griffith could assist Leeton with some players in the short term. We have 3 men’s grades that travel and are competitive.

Last edited:

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Leeton are probably going to find it even more difficult in the next couple of rounds Mauler (have they got Steamers & Waratahs away). Could the draw be re organised with Hay becoming Leeton’s 2nd grade. Perhaps Griffith could assist Leeton with some players in the short term. We have 3 men’s grades that travel and are competitive.
All valid options. We’ll know shortly if theyre stuffed or not. I seriously hope they can make first grade work. Get through this season then the comp needs a reset.