• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2022

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
SIRU must kick Leeton out

NB - I Feel sorry for Leeton
I don't know if these two belong in the same post?

When watching the match, what colour were the Phantoms players shorts & socks? There was plenty of bulls players in the Phantoms team so they didn't match the numbers.

As for penalty's I'm pretty sure they are written in the competition rules so should be enforced but how many forfeits have we had this year and how many fines or points deductions have been handed out.

Finally, I don't this Albury 2nd grade will be too worried next week as they also forfeited on Saturday.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
There is a lack of teams in the U16's and SIRU couldn't get an U18's started - I think numbers are on the fall :(

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
Similar to most sports, it is the older age groups where SIRU juniors drop off. Apparently only one club, Griffith, have their own Under 16 side. The rest of this age group is combined sides (Wagga/Leeton, Albury/Tumut, Young/Temora etc).
It is very handy for the juniors that the likes of Coota, Young, Temora, West Wyalong and Grenfell are part of their competition. It's great to keep communication open with these towns should the desire to play in a larger senior competition ever arise again.

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
In past eras we’ve had clubs have players play 2nd grade as well as 1st grade to fulfill commitments. Visiting clubs should forfeit and get help to form a team from the home club. It’s not healthy for players to play 2 games one after the other.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
This is harder than picking a broken nose. From a clubmans view ( and we have done it tough, real tough over the years ) I have played 2 and some times 3 grades in a day for City . And its tough , but we did it to keep the show on the road. And I'm glad we did it , because City is in a far better place for it. Thats a dinosaur view of it , but if you want something to survive you have to fight for it.

As an impartial rugby guy view ? Its not great seeing blokes run out in a lower grade then having to play another full game. Most players are gassed after one game let alone 2 and the invariable lop sided result that goes with it. It does nothing for the comp when 25 guys turn up to play 2 grades on a saturday.

I believe SIRU is going to have to restructure in 2023 . I dont say that because of choice , i say that because we are going to have to. The gaps between the haves and have nots is growing. How that resturcture would look ? No idea .

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Far Western NSW comp has run their First Grade game as the first game of the day for a while now.
Changing the timetable may assist with that? Play Womens at 1230, First Grade at 130 and then any other grades after that.

It’s not perfect, but it means that your best 15-22 players are playing fresh and then the social footy can happen after that.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
When Hay played Reddies in 2nd grade last Saturday, Reddies 1st, Womens & 3rd grades had to sit out. Griffith 1st, Womens, 2nd & 3rd grades had to sit out. So that Hay 2nd grade was afforded an opportunity to play rugby last Saturday 7 other teams couldn’t play. No wonder we are having a lot of forfeits, with the lack of continuity of playing.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
dart board as follows

Mens
City
CSU

Ladies
Griffith
Albury

Bonus
Royals to beat gungahlin at canberra stadium.

well done wagga city for breaking the drought against Albury last weekend. Although significantly closer than i thought it'd be.

One last tip this week.
WAC to beat Albury in the Hypothetical, should be played game this week...

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I have to agree with above sentiments. I hate the idea of turfing sides from competitions but i cant see a situation where leeton actually play a game on the road again this year.

Its a long long way back for the premiers of 2017.

On a positive note, after seeing the griffith team sheet for tomorrow im buzzed for the Griffith vs Cit game. Thankfully this is the bartv game this week.

PB cant wait for your rundown on the match.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I was away for the day Mauler so I didn’t get to watch Blacks v City game. Have to be happy with the result though given the quality of the opposition. I’m sure we’ll see a manipulation of the draw Reasoning given the woes of Leeton.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I was away for the day Mauler so I didn’t get to watch Blacks v City game. Have to be happy with the result though given the quality of the opposition. I’m sure we’ll see a manipulation of the draw Reasoning given the woes of Leeton.
Worth watching the video on the bartv website mate. Your boys are onto something with they way they played on the weekend. Lots to like about the performance. set piece an issue with a misfiring lineout and a scrum under pressure, as most are against city. Get this part right, keep the troops turning up and it’ll be a lot closer come business end than we’ve all said.

well done Tumut. Bit of confidence from their 101(30)-0 win a week earlier has done them wonders. Shame they go straight into a bye this weekend.

already hearing Leeton are stuffed for this weekend against Tahs. If so that’s the end of their season. Competition regulations clearly say 3 forfeits and your gone… Massive job needed here to save this club in the short term.

ball then in SIRU’s court on what changes they implement to the draw. Can’t have a situation where there is only 2 first grade game a week and 3 sides have byes.

personally I think there needs to be a full reset after this season. To be frank there is no reason Hay should be in 2nd grade. Play 1sts or play 3rds.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
You would imagine that SIRU could see the logic in what you put forward here Reasoning. I also think that clubs should be honest before Round 9 about what grades they can actually offer. Leeton’s girls team have forfeited at least once & have been struggling on the scoreboard in most games. I know the score line isn’t that important but hopefully it isn’t an indication the Diana’s could fold as well. When Tumut came to Griffith they forfeited 2nd grade. The same day Reddies forfeited 3rds. I know Albury have been struggling for numbers in 2nds. If there is a re draw as most people think will happen teams should only be included which can realistically fulfill commitments.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
You would imagine that SIRU could see the logic in what you put forward here Reasoning. I also think that clubs should be honest before Round 9 about what grades they can actually offer. Leeton’s girls team have forfeited at least once & have been struggling on the scoreboard in most games. I know the score line isn’t that important but hopefully it isn’t an indication the Diana’s could fold as well. When Tumut came to Griffith they forfeited 2nd grade. The same day Reddies forfeited 3rds. I know Albury have been struggling for numbers in 2nds. If there is a re draw as most people think will happen teams should only be included which can realistically fulfill commitments.

well said. However I’ll just add that obviously covid is still an issue. Waratahs lost 17 players from one week to the next due to covid. Had to forfeit 3rd grade as a result.
I don’t disagree that hard conversations need to be had and an urgent rework sorted but don’t think a one off forfeit should see you speared. Questions asked, but I’m sure they were at the time and responses noted

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
My tips for the weekend

Griffith to cover Ag college
Albury to beat reddies
Tahs by 100+ or 30-0. Unsure which at this stage

in the ladies 10s
Exactly the same aside from the reddies Albury game. Reddies to beat Albury in the girls.

bonus game
Blues to beat the tahs in the super rugby

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Siru FB report says Waratahs v Leeton 2nd grade 34 - 0, Reasoning. Unless Phantoms had some or a lot of players involved in both games.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
my tips.

city over tumut
wac over albury
tahs over csu

ladies
csu over tahs
wac over albury

Bonus match uni norths over gungahlin