• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2022

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
And there you have it. The grass is not greener in Central West and for a club like Leeton , the trip to West Wyalong will be their shortest. And after that it get into the equivalent of Leeton to Tumut etc

I think we have to look at a 'Premier' and maybe a 'Club' type set up. Premier being 1' & 2's and womens. Club being the old 3's and one side clubs . Ideally you'd play it in sequence to Premier but you'd have to be flexible. I think its better to have rugby presence in smaller centres than a rigid adherence 'you must have' attitude to club rugby.

I cant see the current set up working for much longer.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
We can surely agree that attempting to include Hay into the draw as if they were a club instead of a being a single team hasn’t worked. People won’t want to admit it but if we don’t change the way the comp is structured next year so that all players get consistent opportunities to play, SIRU will probably continue to decline. That might mean for example that 3rd grade might have to have a separate draw where all teams play at the same venue each week.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Time for our tips of the week. With 2 games to pick from its hard work ! I might throw some 2's games in the mix as well !

Aggies v Tumut - this might be a lot closer than what meets the eye . Aggies have some key players out and that may play a part . I think Tumut will make them work real hard for this game . They really do need to win this ! Aggies 1-12 .
City v Reddies - City have a few out for varying reasons and will sport a very youthful backline as a result. I think we will still have too much for a reddies outfit that is going to be very combative. Im still curious about the decision to forfeit to Leeton in 2's last week though ?? City 13 +

Womens
City v Reddies - City pulled off a massive upset last week and will be looking to repeat that . Reddies have been the front runners for a long time and wont make it easy . City by 2
Griifith v Leeton - Griffith by lots .

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
my multi for the week
mens Aggies 1-12
mens city 13+
womens CSU 1-12
Griffith 13+

for those playing at home John I dent bonus matches***
owls to get on the right side of the ledger against gungahlin 13+
whites to cover wests in a close one 1-12

if i were CSU i would have taken my 1st grade side to leeton last weekend. good way to bounce back from a bad loss to tahs

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Well done to Tumut on the win against Aggies. Whilst I dont think it will end Aggies season at all, it isnt going to make it easier for them . Griffith may be in for a good old fashioned ambush at Jarrah this weekend.
The other game, City V Reddies, saw it shortened by 20 minutes due to injury to key player Liam Krautz. It was , in retrospect the only sensible option for the referee to take in all honesty. It was starting to get lop sided and was only going to get uglier for the visitors.

Now this leads me to me the point that City ( and im pretty sure we are not on our own in this stat) first grade doesnt play again till 16th July . Now we are a side that is going to playing semi finals and we will still struggle to keep players fully motivated with near on 3 weeks of training and no game ! How does a club in the bottom 3 keep motivated ? I realise this is the ramification of clubs withdrawl from first grade but there has to be a better way of managing this going forward. We cant allow the top grade comp to be dictated by lower grades. Whilst logistically its the easy answer it does nothing for the integrity of the first grade comp and worse causes disinterest and apathy towards the game and competition.

I believe the way forward is a premier comp of 1's, 2's and womens (hopefully XV's) and a second tier of stand alone clubs and whats left of 3rd grade teams . Ideally you'd like to keep it all aligned where possible but that might not be possible all weeks. It may not be perfect but we need as a code to look at all options.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
City, Aggies, Waratahs, Reddies, Albury & Griffith - top division. 1st grade, 2nds & Womens. Next division Hay, Leeton, Tumut & a 2nd Griffith club. One team clubs. Last year Griffith had over 90 registrations.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
What is the answer ? I'm not sure Tumut would be all that keen on going down a grade so to speak . I'd love to see clubs like Temora back in the SIRU fold as such. The key is having meaningful rugby played . Teams like Hay need decent footy but dont have the population to support a 'premier' level club. I dont know the answers but I'd love for a few people further up the food chain to be a tad more pro active than they currently appear to be.

Bubbas wayward tips for this week :

Tahs v Albury : Couple of weeks off for Tahs and a few reinforcements it seems. Its hard to go past Tahs at home . Though Albury have a way of making things difficult and there was a fair bit of fire and controversary last time round. Tahs 1-12
Tumut v Griffith : This is a make or break game for both teams in my thoughts . Griffith need to win because they have to win. They've got Albury and aggies snapping on their heals. Tumut have to win to keep any faint glimmer of semis alive. The win last week will have given them confidence . Griffith 1-12

In the ladies ? City 13 plus over Leeton, Tahs by heaps over Albury.

Go the wallbies !!!

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
my multi failed last week but sportsbet game me a bonus bet back up to $50 because only 1 leg failed.

here is this weeks multi
Griffith 1-12
tahs 1-12

Tahs ladies 13+
City Ladies 13+

Tuggers 1-12 vs Royals
Wests 13+ over the riff in the JID

how good is it that we have 6 sides across the 1st grade and ladies comps with a bye this weekend...

but only 1 2nd grade side with a bye.

anyway..... up the wallabies and Fark Eddie Jones!

Last edited:

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Don’t comprehendo Mauler? Isn’t there only 4 first grade teams playing this weekend. Griffith, Tumut, Waratahs & Albury.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Its not ideal having 3 first grade sides , 3 womens sides and 3 3rd's sitting out each week is it ?

I think we are all on the same page that this structure cannot continue.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I did hear that Griffith travelled to Wagga with a 3rd grade team only to find when they got there that Waratahs were forfeiting. 1st & 2nd grade Blacks were at Tumut. Surely a travelling team should be given more respect.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Tahs are off to Griffith this week, which usually seems to thin numbers out in most clubs. They don't have the option / luxury of forfeiting 3's this week as they have already done so twice.
I would hope that the SIRU board would be reminding all clubs ( especially in the light of Leetons 1st grade withdrawl ) that if you make the commitment to field teams in the various grades you need to stick to it. Its unfair to the comp , other sides and most of all the players. I would also be hoping that the SIRU board is also sticking by its own by laws in regards teams forfeiting on the day of the match.

As it stands only City, Griffith and Aggies HAVE NOT forfeited a mens grade game this year.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Bubbas weekly stabs !

Griffith v Tahs - judging by the article in the DA , Tahs are running on bare numbers with at least 4 out this week. I think Griffith will be snorting and stamping , possibly baying for blood . I'll take the blacks this week . 13 plus
Tumut v Albury - now this is an interesting game . Albury need to win , Tumut need to win . Both sides are still looking to make semis - though Bulls will need a lot to go their way ! Albury by a whisker in this one 1-12
Reddies v Aggies - always a grudge match between these teams . Sadly for Reddies I cant see them troubling Aggies this week. No Krautz means no chance of a win sorry . Aggies 13 plus

Ladies
I reckon tahs v Griffith will be a ripper. Still think Griffth at home though !

Reddies v Aggies - the bright light for reddies on a dim day I reckon. They are going to be too good for aggies girls !

Now interestingly The Harlem Globetrotters Golden Oldies have had to forfeit again - thats the 3rd time . SIRU by laws says thats sayonara, though it can be appealed. Any bets on this ? I'd be very interested to see how thats handled.

Go the Wallabies !

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
My multis never win so take what you like out of my guesses.

Mens
griffith 13+
Tumut 1-12
WAC 1-12

Ladies
Griffith 1-12
WAC 1-12

Wests to beat gungahlin in the JID

Go the wallabies and fark Eddie Jones and Johnny Hill.

PS. boot tahs from 3rds

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Blacks have good recent form but Waratahs are usually confident against Griffith so maybe the Blues 1 - 12. Bulls will probably be too good for Steamers and Aggies in a close game against Reds. If Waratahs 3rds situation is covid related they should survive. If not….

centralwestrep

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tahs forfeited seconds and thirds in Griffith yesterday. How the mighty have fallen.
Will be interesting to see if their 3rd grade team gets the boot from the competition.

Last edited: