• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v All Blacks, Ellis Park 25/7/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I haven't checked the guides but I can't remember the last time a non-Wallaby game was on FTA outside of RWC matches.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
As I am currently living the bachelor life, while my wife is working out her contract in another town, I don't have sky (or a tv) so watch the games online if I can't be bothered going to a pub or the in laws. Might be useful for those who don't have a satellite tv contract or at the mercy of FTA.

Would it be a breach of forum rules to list some of the sites I use and how to do it? A mod will need to reply.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Charles Piutau, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (captain), Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, James Broadhurst, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Franks, Sam Whitelock, Victor Vito, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...o-debut-for-all-blacks-against-the-springboks

Pretty much as predicted & looks like Shag's been true to his word re. giving everyone game time ahead of the squad reduction.

Savea suffered what looked like a really bad asthma attack at training yesterday so not surprised he's been left out, means he'll be well-rested for Sydney :)

Congrats to the two newbies, Sopoaga & Broadhurst.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good on Shag for sticking to word, glad he's got the cojones to give Sopoaga and Broadhurst a start. He always says you have to see if young fellas can handle the big ones, not just perhaps easier tests!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As I am currently living the bachelor life, while my wife is working out her contract in another town, I don't have sky (or a tv) so watch the games online if I can't be bothered going to a pub or the in laws. Might be useful for those who don't have a satellite tv contract or at the mercy of FTA.

Would it be a breach of forum rules to list some of the sites I use and how to do it? A mod will need to reply.

Rule 9.

9. No mention or discussion of torrents or illegal streaming on the main boards. Global broadcasters have legal departments - we don't.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

The only sites you can publish the names of on here are ones that have been officially approved by the various authorities with digital rights to the event.

Illegal streams or sites with questionable entitlement to live streams should not be mentioned.

If that happens, the offending post will be deleted by the Mods and the poster may find themselves being awarded a holiday from G&GR.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Doesn't surprise me WOB, shows the respect All Blacks have for playing the Boks there, generally experienced players only for that test, one of reasons I thing this is ballsy call by Shag.

G

galumay

Should be a cracker, I expect improvement from both sides after last outing, from a selfish point of view I would love to see the Bok's get up to make the Bledisloe a real contest for the RC!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fuuuuuaark, that backline - notably the three fullbacks in the back 3. If you were Sopoaga, that is the kind of experienced backline you'd want to marshall in your debut.

Broadhurst was a standout in Super Rugby so will interesting to see whether it translates to test rugby.

Should be an absolute cracker

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the side. With the 3 Smith's back in and close to our strongest forward pack plus debutantes at lock and 1st 5.

What I do like is the impact from the bench - 3 dynamic front rowers, plus the Canes 8, 9, 10 trio and Fekitoa.

Ellis Park is always a big occasion. For the likes of Taylor, Broadhurst, Sopoaga, TJ Perenara, Vito who have never played a test there in front of 60,000 screaming Bok supporters in that colosseum like stadium, they'll know they're up for something big.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
There really is now way the All blacks should lose this and I am not just trying to claim some underdog status.

We have:

Makeshift back row
Rookie five calling lineouts
A nine who launches a marketing campaign very time he ys at the back of the ruck (which is not all too often)
A ten who is struggling to live up to the hype
Rookie centers

Look at that team and the AB's team and really it would be some effort if we won it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bok side - Heinrich Brussow back (damn)

15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger ©, 7 Francois Louw, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Warren Whiteley, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Cornal Hendricks.

Not sure I understand what Meyer is trying to do:
  1. Koch is on the bench in place of Malherbe. Is this because of Malherbe's apparent deficiencies last week or is he trying to rotate to have a look at Koch? Koch looked very powerful for the Stormers but was also a bit of a penalty magnet.
  2. Why is Whiteley on the bench? I love Brussow, he was born in the wrong country. But surely Burger, Whiteley, Louw would be a better balanced back row with Brussow on the bench? Now SA are playing two fetchers!
  3. I've seen very little criticism of Meyer's gameplan, but I thought it was the key reason SA lost. It takes a monumental effort to win with 40% possession but the plan seemed to be that as soon as SA got the ball the halves and fullback were to kick it straight to Folau. And, surprise, surprise, Folau had a blinder and the Boks ran out of gas after 70 minutes of tackling and chasing.
  4. Kriel was sensational but he was starved of the ball and then replaced early. I have no idea why, I think Meyer just has no idea. As a coach he does not know what to do with talented ball-runners. SA could be anything if they ran the ball continuously with de Allende, Kriel, Habana, Hendricks and le Roux. IMO that's a better backline than we put out last week but they hardly got a chance to play.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the AB's too are taking some risks, Sopoaga was unconsistent during the Soup season, though bettering to the business end and if people still remember Barret seemed to play injured in the final less than a month ago, so he might be underdone, they also have Dagg there who might just play like he has been playing for like the last year.
So its not to say the AB's dont have question marks before this game, if the Boks can rack points on the first half they will finish it strong in front of their home crowd

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Should be a cracker, I expect improvement from both sides after last outing, from a selfish point of view I would love to see the Bok's get up to make the Bledisloe a real contest for the RC!

The RC'll still come down to the Sydney test either way. If the Boks win then Sydney will decide a 3-way contest. If the ABs win then Sydney will decide a 2-way contest. Unles the Argies roll the Wallabies, which is alway possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.