• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Brumbies maul is a bit of a catch 22 for them....

On one hand they'll be criticized that they can't score tries outside of the maul, but when you have a maul so strong that guarantees you a try 9/10 times why would you do anything else?

The issue its created is that the backline hasn't had any match opportunities to try many other attacking plays all year, and when the maul doesn't work then they seem disjointed and have to rely on individual brilliance to cross the line.

So illegal its indefensible. 2 of the three tries last night the ball was passed back from the lineout before the receiver was on the ground and the "maul" formed. How can a maul be formed from a player in the air?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies are taking a squad of 25 over to Cape Town, the 23 from Saturday plus Nigel Ah Wong and Les Makin.

Pocock is doing well after his concussion and Speight had a stinger from trying to tackle Nadolo.

To'omua is likely to start at 10.

Since there are no bonus points, I can see a kick for position game from both sides hoping to pressure the other into a mistake. The kicking of Catrakilis is going to be a problem if the Brumbies don't fix their defence from the last time they visited.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kiwi with the whistle. SANZAR refs have copped a fair bit this year and this is one they have control over and can't afford to appoint a local.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies are taking a squad of 25 over to Cape Town, the 23 from Saturday plus Nigel Ah Wong and Les Makin.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kiwi with the whistle. SANZAR refs have copped a fair bit this year and this is one they have control over and can't afford to appoint a local.

Has Makin been getting some game time in the JID lately? What's his fitness likely to be?

And yet no NZ ref has been consistently good this year. Will likely be a shambles if Jackson gets the gig. The best ref this year in the mystifyingly limited opportunities he's had has been Van Der Westhuizen. I wouldn't be concerned if he was appointed, but that is very unlikely as he is probably officially ranked behind both Peyper and Joubers (and maybe even Berry) as SA refs.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
The Stormers resting most of their starting side makes me think back to the Waratahs in 2002, when they lost to the Crusaders by 90 odd before crumbling in the semi. Obviously the Stormers didn't do quite as horribly, but I think there's a lot to be said for momentum and being on a run of wins. Having said that the Brumbies are also coming of a loss (and one in which they actually tried).

My prediction is that the Brumbies will salvage a losing bonus point as they fail to beat the South Africans at their own game, but go down valiantly. For Australian rugby's benefit however, I hope the Brumbies can muscle up and keep Cheika up at night over selection issues.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Been really disappointed with the Brumbies attack this year - which is a worry coming from the Wallabies attack coach. I agree the driving maul seems to be the only weapon. Where are the fluent back-line plays? inside balls? Ball-runners hitting lines at speed, etc.

Say what you want about Jake White but I think our attack was much much better when he was coach. Sure he implemented a kicking strategy, we probably kicked 70% of the time but at least in the 30% of the time when we actually ran the ball it was bloody brilliant. Larkham seems to be really struggling to get the best out of our attack.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The Stormers resting most of their starting side makes me think back to the Waratahs in 2002, when they lost to the Crusaders by 90 odd before crumbling in the semi. Obviously the Stormers didn't do quite as horribly, but I think there's a lot to be said for momentum and being on a run of wins. Having said that the Brumbies are also coming of a loss (and one in which they actually tried).

My prediction is that the Brumbies will salvage a losing bonus point as they fail to beat the South Africans at their own game, but go down valiantly. For Australian rugby's benefit however, I hope the Brumbies can muscle up and keep Cheika up at night over selection issues.

No bonus points in knock outs, but I suspect you're right - the Stormers will be fresh from their week off and the Brumbies will be a little sore and jet lagged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

There are no bonus points in the finals...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At least Cape Town is at sea level, and the Ponies aren't having to deal with a game on the highveld as well as jet lag.

While it is not 1700 metres ASL, being acclimatised to life at 600 metres ASL may give the Ponies a slight aerobic advantage when playing at sea level. I think that they are going to need every advantage they can get in order to come home with the chocolates.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I guess the Brumbies have the advantage of having just last week and had him for the Lions game so have a better understanding of his interpretations and the way he controls the game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Forwards decide wins. Stormers will dominate 1st phase and their defense will be excellent like usual.

Stormers to double up on their Aussie Grand Slam, Stormers by 9.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Forwards decide wins. Stormers will dominate 1st phase and their defense will be excellent like usual.

Stormers to double up on their Aussie Grand Slam, Stormers by 9.

I think your pretty much spot on. Especially with the win being in multiples of 3. The Brumbies just haven't shown anything really consistent in attack this year to break down a very good defence like the the Stormers. Add to that their preferred kicking game is like the opening scenes in Karate Kid when the baddy dojo master bully takes on the real master in Mr Miyagi (Pat Morita). Brumbies to lose the kicking game big time and lose the game with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Saturday, June 20
Highlanders v Chiefs, Dunedin - 09:35
Referee - Chris Pollock
AR1 - Nick Briant
AR2 - Mike Fraser
TMO - Aaron Paterson
Stormers v Brumbies, Cape Town - 17:05
Referee - Jaco Peyper
AR1 - Craig Joubert
AR2 - Jason Jaftha
TMO - Deon van Blommestein

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
LOL with that reffing lineup, what are the Stormers paying? $1.01?

:D

COME ON BRUMBIES! STUFF THEM HARD!

M

Moono75

This is finals rugby in the Republic. If I were the Brumbies a weeks supply of toast and Vegemite should be in the kit bag. Keep away from 'Susie' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.