• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lilo will definitely need his kicking boots for this one. Can't afford any costly misses this time round.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So the mail is that To'omua will come back in at 12, which should give our attack a bit more potency.

We have the pack and defence to do the Stormers, I think we'll win this one.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It will depend on whether or not he pulls up ok from training after his ankle was 'a bit sore'

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good news is that JdV is up and running again.
S24
Bok skipper up and running

Cape Town - Amidst concerns over Duane Vermeulen and Demetri Catrakilis, there was a shining light at Monday’s Stormers training session.
It came in the form of Springbok captain Jean de Villiers, who was running at pace through a Robbie Fleck backline session.
De Villiers was moving freely, looking in no apparent discomfort throughout a fast moving, if not physical session.
The Bok skipper is trying his utmost to regain full fitness ahead of September’s Rugby World Cup after rupturing his knee ligaments against Wales in November last year.
De Villiers was looking so good yesterday that Coetzee was asked – only half seriously – if the 34-year-old would be able to play for the Stormers before the season was out.
"He’s been looking sharp at training," Coetzee said.
"But it’s definitely not the time for Jean to be part of any contact situations yet. He’s doing really well."
De Villiers certainly has a spring in his step again, and Coetzee said that he could see how desperate the 106 Test veteran was to get back to competitive rugby.
"He’s energised, he’s looking fresh. I can see he wants to get his hands on a ball and get the feel for it again, which is good," said Coetzee.
"In non-contact situations with the team it is great to have him here. There is a nice energy coming from his side."
The Springboks play their first World Cup match against Japan on September 19.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JP has been left out of the 23 since Sio's return..........

The Brumbies scrum will be much stronger than the last encounter, but Alexander had a torrid time against Crockett last week under Peyper.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
As a sidenote the two SA top ranked schools (Paarl Boys High vs Paul Roos) come up against another also on saturday (you'd rather find me there as on Newlands) in Paarl.

Later the two fatties rooted from the schools will scrum together against maybe a Gimmie (Ruan Smith).

Paarl_Paul_Roos_150601-09.jpg

more about this big clash.
http://www.premierinterschools.co.za/2015/15/paarl-boys-high-vs-paul-roos-gymnasium-overview/

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how the maul is reffed this week under the new IRB directive, usually the refs limited attention span means they take notice of these things for a week or two.

It also again reminds the refs that the 9 has to put the ball in straight. Against the Stormers, that may be a bigger issue than the maul, they have a great tough scrum

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...ith-the-stormers/story-e6frf4qu-1227401153801

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No Vermeulen.

Ouch. Brumbies compete the hardest of all the Aussie teams at the collisions. Vermeulen, alongside Burger is the perfect foil. They will miss his physicality.

I assume Carr plays 8. Totally different player.

The Brumbies push the laws more than most teams (except the Crusaders). Lots of illegal slowing down the ball, lots of off the ball holding people back, taking prolonged oxygen breaks on the wrong side of the ruck etc. Some refs let them get away with it, others are all over them.

I boldly predict a forum-wide meltdown of previously unseen and definite gargantuan proportion if the Brums lose. There will be effigies burnt, firstborns sacrificed, images of public displays of mass self-flagellation on social media and fields set ablaze in Cannenborrough.

Its' either that or I get to see the Stomps lose which is always satisfying so I am a neutral full of schadenfreude. The ultimate fence sitter.

It will be epic either way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I boldly predict a forum-wide meltdown of previously unseen and definite gargantuan proportion if the Brums lose. There will be effigies burnt, firstborns sacrificed, images of public displays of mass self-flagellation on social media and fields set ablaze in Cannenborrough.

You mean there's one more episode of Game of Thrones season 5 left? You beauty!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Blue, the Brumbies were one of the least penalized teams in the comp until they reached South Africa..........

I think you might be thinking of another team that starts with 'B'.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So it took all that time for someone to spot their illegal tactics? They play a spoling game around the breakdown. It's plain to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.