• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers v Brumbies Qualifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Serious? My point was being that Enever is a terrible scrummager.

@Qwerty, I wasn't saying he is a better scrummager than Smiler. I was offering a possible explanation if in fact the Brumbies' forwards coach consider him to be better. I really don't know. Do you really know he is a terrible scrummager? I think it's pretty well accepted that scrumming is an eight man job. Except for Will Skelton's efforts last year, it seems to me to be guess work to declare a particular player a terrible scrummager.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
No Vermeulen is a pretty harsh blow, but they look to have a strong Backrow nonetheless.

Hard to see many tries in this game. The Brumbies have more attacking weapons, so they are probably the more likely to find linebreaks. I suspect it will come down to penalties in the end. That's probably not great for the brumbies. With Jaco as ref and the game at Newlands you'd expect the 50/50 calls to go with the home side.

Plus the one match-up on the field that is likely to kill the Brumbies will be Kitshoff v Alexander. I reckon Kitshoff will dominate Alexander in the scrum, potentially putting an end to any hope of a spot in the RWC squad. one can dream

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I give the brumbies a decent chance here. While not the best season they've been better than the Stormers and have experience playing under pressure in the Republic.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So no changes to the Brumbies' starting lineup. I expect Schalk to take the first real hit up for the Stormers running directly at or through the 12 channel. That would be my game plan A if I was the Stormers' coach.

Fortunately they won't have both Schalk and Vermeulen there to attack that channel.

Otherwise, the matchup of the front rows will be critical. Too many penalties against the Brumbies for any number of infractions will see the scoreline adding up very quickly.

Interesting to see the analysis on Fox of tackles missed by the various Nos 12 and 13 during the Super XV season. IIRC both the Stormes' centres rated highly for missed tackles. If Tevita can show some of his old form, he could have a field day.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Plus the one match-up on the field that is likely to kill the Brumbies will be Kitshoff v Alexander. I reckon Kitshoff will dominate Alexander in the scrum, potentially putting an end to any hope of a spot in the RWC squad. one can dream

I agree that Kitshoff will touch up Alexander.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Both Burger and Vermeulen out certainly sets the Stormers' aspirations back somewhat. How bad are their injuries, Oom? Are they a chance to return next week if required?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Both Burger and Vermeulen out certainly sets the Stormers' aspirations back somewhat. How bad are their injuries, Oom? Are they a chance to return next week if required?

I think the problem is Vermeuelen flew to Toulon to be unveiled in the week of an important game for his team. Yes he's not playing but it's not a good look. Apparently he told French media it would be 2-3 weeks before he plays again but Coetzee said maybe next week.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
I give the brumbies a decent chance here. While not the best season they've been better than the Stormers and have experience playing under pressure in the Republic.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Pretty bold statement to make. The Stormers are up in the head to head for the season and have won more games. If I wanted to knock the brumbies, and don't, I would have pointed out that 20 of their 47 championship points came from playing the Force and the Reds twice*. Looking at the Brumbies' results this season, they had two season defining wins - one against the Highlanders and the other against the Lions, otherwise their season has bounced around middling.

*The appropriate response to that statement is of course to point out that the Stormer managed come away with zero points from Bloemfontein in a season where the Cheetahs would lose an unopposed training run.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Pretty bold statement to make. The Stormers are up in the head to head for the season and have won more games. If I wanted to knock the brumbies, and don't, I would have pointed out that 20 of their 47 championship points came from playing the Force and the Reds twice*. Looking at the Brumbies' results this season, they had two season defining wins - one against the Highlanders and the other against the Lions, otherwise their season has bounced around middling.

*The appropriate response to that statement is of course to point out that the Stormer managed come away with zero points from Bloemfontein in a season where the Cheetahs would lose an unopposed training run.
The brumbies wouldn't be in the finals of they had the same points as the Stormers. You can talk all you want about wins but everyone knows how you qualify for the finals is points. The brumbies finished with more, they had the better season.

The Stormers only scored 32 tries all season, equal with the Reds, third lowest in the league. The brumbies have 45 while also boasting the best defense in the league.

Stormers have the advantage at home but as I inferred the brumbies have a good chance of the upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.