• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer cricket 2022/23

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's happened to the real Australian team? Are we sure that the Indian's and Australian's haven't changed name, and it's really Australia batting?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What's happened to the real Australian team? Are we sure that the Indian's and Australian's haven't changed name, and it's really Australia batting?
I wanna get behind this but I will wait till both have batted with what we’ve been shown.

Confidence is an amazing thing in sport though.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nope. Really need Uzzie and Smith to build a good partnership now. A good base has been set

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I think if we get to 250, have a lead of 140 should be enough, but batting last on this pitch will be tough

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great day for the Aussies yesterday but this is a disgraceful pitch.

Home teams can and should prepare pitches to their advantage but this one should be receiving the harshest rating in the match review. Balls going through at ankle height halfway through day one?

Having spinners operating from both ends from the first few overs on day 1 shouldn't be happening. A good pitch needs to offer something for everyone and who has the most advantage should shift over the course of the test match as the pitch deteriorates.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Starc was on fire in that first over. Pretty bullshit from the ump

Some shocking umpiring. He made three mistakes in the first 6 overs he umpired.

Why do we even have the review system? Why can't we just use it like the TMO in rugby?

I certainly think it could be improved. Why shouldn't the umpire be able to check their decisions when it is a tight call after making a decision on the field. Umpire's call is good in that it provides a margin for error to back up the umpire's original decision.

I think the silliest discrepancy in the third umpire usage is that there are umpire reviews for stumpings and catches (i.e. did something carry) and there was even one for bowled yesterday. In those situations they look at the entire delivery though so every mode of dismissal is in play. It becomes a free review for the fielding team generally.

That is why the keeper always swipes the bails off and appeals for a stumping on potential edges from the spinners. The umpire will call for the third umpire to check the stumping but the main benefit is you get a chance at seeing whether there was a faint edge.